U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2006, 04:19 PM

38 posts, read 223,999 times

Advertisements

(Southhaven is west of Olive Branch)
Germantown is directly north of OB, so is Memphis pretty much.
Dd714 is right, either way the commute is about the same. My fiance drives 25 minutes into memphis every morning, (it's less than 10 miles)

We found a great house in OB under 175K The plantation lakes subdivision is pretty good, Henry's plantation as well. I'm not sure about further south as far as prices go.

WE also looked in Hernando, we liked it alot but we didn't like the commute time.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2006, 08:55 PM

24 posts, read 80,146 times
Does anyone have any suggestions of law firms (real estate-commercial) in the area looking for paralegals?

Old 12-28-2006, 11:43 PM

27 posts, read 143,939 times
If you decide on Olive Branch stay away from the Center Hill Middle/High school. We absolutely HATE it! The principal is an *******. Olive Branch High has one of the best sports programs in the state and the principal is great with the kids. Lewisberg is also good.. I've lived here all my life and I'm not the only one who feels this way about Center Hill. Good Luck.

Old 01-03-2007, 12:31 PM

Default center hill

I've seen about 6 posts now bashing Center Hill Middle High School......I'm wondering if the kids just hate it because they went to OBHS and had to change???? Center Hill has only been open since September... sounds like the kids aren't liking the switch.

We live in the Center Hill "district" and my son loves the Elementary school.

As Center Hill Adds 11th and 12th grade things might get better.... my big concern is that they have 6th grade in with the high school.

Old 01-03-2007, 06:57 PM

Default Center Hill Middle/High School

Having to leave OBHS has nothing to do with the kids and parents hating Center Hill. Most of the kids were excited about going to a smaller school. That excitement was crushed on the first day of school by the principal, George Loper. He ripped them up and down and told them dress code would be inforced at ball games, they were not allowed to walk outside of the school, they had to get their agendas, school notebook, signed every day by their parents and they had to carry it with them every where they went. They would be closely watched on the school monitors, etc. This is a prison. He has refused to have a student council where the kids have any input. He even decided they would not get a yearbook at the end of each year. They will get it in the summer or following year. It's gone from bad to worse. He even stopped letting them walk to their parents cars after school. They must be picked up at the front door. These are 16 and 17 year olds!

Old 01-04-2007, 07:05 AM

It does sound like he's a bit over the top. Sounds like we need to do something about it. I've got a few years before my son is there but it is still worrying.

What recourse do parents have when the principal is a dictator?

Old 01-04-2007, 06:07 PM

Default Center Hill Principal

The only thing I know to do is complain to the Supertendent, Milton Kurkendall, and the school board members. Their names and numbers are on the DeSoto County schools web site. I don't believe it will do any good but that's all I know to do. I've also thought someone should go to the local media but no one wants their child to suffer the conquences. Several parents are trying to form a PTO at the school. At the first meeting the first thing Loper told them was this was their baby and he did not have any time to help with it. The second thing he said was that the PTO would not carry any weight with him as a group. Maybe he'll be gone by the time your child gets there. The rest of us will be counting the days. Good Luck.

Old 03-13-2007, 09:54 PM

[quote=jriecke;34826]It looks like my family and I will be moving to Olive Branch in the next couple of months. I'm really confused about the school districts. Are all of the schools in the county good? I wanted Olive Branch schools, but depending on where we find a house I may end up in another school..........

If you're still looking for a school in the Olive Branch area you should be aware that there is a big difference between running a "tight ship" and running a prison, which Center Hill HS has a reputation for. High school students should be treated with the same respect they are expected to give. A TOTAL lack of any freedoms is not conducive for preparing kids for life after high school. You can't treat 16 and 17 year olds the same as elementary school kids. A good example is not letting them walk to their parents cars in the afternoon. They must stand in a car rider line and have their parents drive up to the front door to pick them up. This may sound like a small issue but it is only one of many.

Old 03-15-2007, 03:38 PM

You're absolutely right about Mrs. Dearden. However I don't believe loving or encouraging are adjectives you would use for Mr. Loper. I also find it interesting that few if any of the teachers from OBHS, who have actually worked with Loper, came to Center Hill. Before school started I asked several of the teachers if they knew of anyone from OBHS who was going to Center Hill HS. EVERY response was negitive and they said they didn't know of anyone there who would work for him. Of course if test scores are the only measure of a good and happy school then I guess you've got what you wanted.

Old 03-29-2007, 12:07 AM

12 posts, read 51,670 times
Default ATTN: chbrink / or anyone with add'l thoughts

Hello. I read your answer above. I'm facing the same dilemma. Two kids (14 & 10) to place in a "good" school, of course. I saw a house via the internet in Walls, MS. What school district is Walls in and kindly give me your thoughts on the particular H.S. & middle school. I'm scared stiff of making a poor choice! They are doing so well right now. Thank you in advance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi