U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2007, 08:14 AM

11 posts, read 67,758 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AEN2006 View Post
He ripped them up and down and told them dress code would be inforced at ball games, they were not allowed to walk outside of the school, they had to get their agendas, school notebook, signed every day by their parents and they had to carry it with them every where they went. They would be closely watched on the school monitors, etc.
Actually, I think some of that is a good idea. In fact, most of it is good. Considering that the school is responsible for our most precious possessions, I think they are only doing what they need to do to protect our children. Bravo!
Quote:
This is a prison.
If it is a choice between chaos and prison, with the benefits that this prison presents and the hazards of chaos, I prefer prison.

My child goes to another school in Desoto County and I am 100% for the close supervision of the children. As most parents are.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2007, 02:40 PM

27 posts, read 143,958 times
I don't have a problem with controlling chaos, I just hate to see the kids treated like juvenile delinquents. Who would want to be treated like this in high school? How would you have felt at their age? I believe they should be treated like the young adults they are and deal with those who can't on an individual basis.

Old 04-05-2007, 09:37 AM

11 posts, read 67,758 times
If they behave as young adults, then rules should not be a problem. If they don't behave, then everything will be a problem for them. The rules are there to protect the ones who behave.

Old 04-05-2007, 11:39 AM

1 posts, read 3,725 times
I have a child in the 8th grade at Center Hill and she loves it. The benefits of moving from OBMS / OBHS far outweigh what is perceived as being wrong. This is a brand new school that is housing 6th - 10th grade currently. As with everything else there will be growing pains. My daughter is getting to experience school as it should be - - with lockers and time for bathroom breaks, school sports, etc. At OB there were so many kids in that one building you had to carry all your class books everywhere - not enough lockers for everyone. And you could just forget being able to make any of the sports teams unless you were top of the line. Now all the kids get a chance to shine, in sports and in class. I personally haven't had any dealings with Mr. Loper but I do know he is strict..and I like that. Times have changed and our kids are not growing up in the same world we did. I like knowing I'm sending my kid to a school where its not likely something bad will happen to her while she is there.

And a side note to AEN2006 regarding the 16-17 year olds being treated like children in the car rider line... Keep in mind they are children and it's not just the older kids that are waiting for their parents. How would you feel if your 6th grader got run over by another parent who was anxious to get their child and wasn't paying attention? And if you have a 17 year old going to CHHS I'm wondering why... #1 they aren't driving themselves to school and what grade are they in? The last I figured most 17 year olds were at the very least Juniors in HS, which CHHS does not have this year.

Sorry for the long post but I'm very proud to live in Olive Branch and to have the opportunity to send my child to a very nice school with attentive teachers/faculty.

Old 04-06-2007, 09:35 PM

Actually my child is 14 but there are older kids with late birthdays or who were held back in kindergarten for all I know and not all can afford cars. I don't remember a car rider line at OBMS and those kids have gotten in cars by themselves without any problems. But your right, better safe than sorry.

Old 04-29-2007, 05:39 AM

12 posts, read 76,188 times
Default Walls

If you live in Walls, I'm not sure if they have their own middle school but I do know that the high school of that district is Horn Lake.I wouldn't send my kids to Horn Lake High, I live in Southaven in very close to Horn Lake and I can't even stand the aura of Horn Lake.It is redneckville! Even all the people at the grocery stores all rude in my opinion.Sometimes I go to the Walmart market there in Horn Lake and everytime I go I notice people cussing out loud in the stores (I mean loud), people being rude to others because their not fast enough, all kinds of stuff, I just hate horn lake!

I used to live in Olive Branch and will be moving back there this summer, thank God! I have a 2 year old and a 7 year old and she will be going to a good school.

Old 05-16-2007, 03:31 PM

33 posts, read 106,441 times
We are considering a move to ms... Looking to go to De Soto county, I have a 6year old and 11 year old.. want to have a good school district.. I like the sound of Hernando, small but close to everything else.. my husband would be working in Memphis and that is most likely where I will have to work as well. My question is, we are going to have to rent first and buy a couple years down the line.. What are home rentals like out there... We need a 3 bedroom, that will let us bring our 2 dogs, they are behaved, outdoor and quite? any ideas?

Old 05-18-2007, 08:00 AM

3 posts, read 12,376 times
having stumbled across this site while searching for something else, I felt I must register and reply back to AEN2006. George Loper (& his wife Jamie), and Rebeca Deardon are some of the finest people you will ever meet.

While you may not like how George does things, I can assure you that the welfare and education of our children is his top priority.

Whats the old saying "You cant please everyone" ? I can assure you that 90% plus of the peopel associated with Center Hill are pleased.

Thx

Old 05-18-2007, 02:17 PM

I never even mentioned Jamie Loper or Mrs. Dearden! I don't know where you came up with the 90% number. Obviously you haven't spoken with the students or staff. I don't mean 6th graders who don't know any different. Those who were at OB know how much better a school can be. Loper has bent over backwards to make that place as miserable as possible. It doesn't have a reputation as a prison for no reason. I'm not making this stuff up. But we've learned to live with it. He could have tried to make the kids feel happy and welcome but chose not to. Forget Mustang pride. It's all about "Loperland".

Old 05-18-2007, 04:22 PM

3 posts, read 12,376 times
fair enough.. Your entitled to your opinion, just as I am. I know George well, and just wanted to state that he's not what your making him out to be..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi