Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2007, 10:59 AM

2 posts, read 17,078 times

Advertisements

What do you think about sublets and roommates? I'm starting fresh and I need a job at this time. I feel like I have to go right away because this town I'm is depressing (I'm in a small town in MS). I need a change soon so any help would be nice. My plan is to sublet for a year and by then I can go at it alone. Any nice tech schools or universities near by?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2007, 11:22 AM

1 posts, read 9,039 times
Default Looking at relocating to the Southern Memphis/Northern MS area

We are looking at relocating from Greenville, SC to either the southern part of Memphis or northern part of MS. I have some concerns about some of the racial tensions posted online. We want to live in the area with the lowest crime rate possible and one where my family will be safe. I'm looking to spend around $280-$320k on a home. What area's would give me the best bang for the buck and make us feel safe and secure? What area has the best school system? I have seen homes from Bartlett on down to Olive Branch and have liked what the market there has to offer. I'm from SC and we have extremely high property taxes on vehicles and average on homes. I know in TN there seems to be a cap of around $100.00 per car yearly for tags, right now I pay about $2500.00 or so for 4 cars. What are the costs involved in the registration process for MS? Thanks for any input, it is greatly appreciated.

Bill

Old 10-28-2007, 07:19 AM

78 posts, read 394,773 times
Default Car Tags & Mississippi

Hard to understand why someone with "big bucks" would be concerned about car tags, but here is a link to get an estimate DeSoto County Mississippi Public Records Inquiry
When you get there go to Tax Collector & you will see the Estimate Car Tags
If you drive a new vehicle it is high, but my 1992 Ford p/u I drive to work costs $23.00 a year
As far a crime, all of Desoto County is pretty safe but as more people come, it will get worse.
Probably the least crime is in Hernando, but I suspect within 5 years we will catch up with Southaven,Horn Lake, & Olive Branch
There is a new subdivision that is just getting started that will have houses at $300K & up

Old 11-03-2007, 08:28 AM

60 posts, read 232,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMSTiger View Post
Jamie-

Just be careful where you live in Olive Branch. There is a great deal of crime spillover from Whitehaven, Parkway Village and Hickory Hill in Memphis and it is affecting things in Horn Lake, Southaven and Olive Branch. Just recently two Olive Branch cops were shot and nearly killed by a dirtbag from Memphis. There has been an increase in property crimes out there. You may want to think about Hernando.

Of course, there's crime everywhere, but DeSoto County doesn't seem to have as much as others? I did hear on the news last night about 3 policemen, well 2 and the Chief being arrested and have to appear in Oxford Monday morning......something about a cover-up? They are still on active duty being paid at least until Monday morning.

Old 11-05-2007, 02:30 PM

27 posts, read 150,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momofbozchhs View Post
If you don't like CHHS go back to ob with the rest of those people. I like the agenda idea. There was a student walking around an elementary school a few years ago in slayden, ms noone suspected anything then he stabbed a fifth grader. How the hell is the staff suppose to know all the students unless they have an agenda. They can tell whom belongs and who is out of place. I like the car rider line, I write down all the out of state and other county tag numbers and turn their a** in and sometimes I follow them and get their address. Watch out bi***. This school is so much better than OBHS, it is the reason we moved out of Shelby County. It is ashamed parents have to be forced to sign agendas, your child is under age and needs supervision. I bet these idiots that hate the agenda, car rider line, Loper, etc. don't know the pw to their child's myspace, etc. I do b/c I care, they have plenty of time to be adults.
I thought you loved CHHS. What happened? I agree with you about the principal. He is not a people person. Most people I know didn't have a problem with being forced to go to CH per say. The problem was with the administration there. It could have been a totally positive experience for the students instead of a concentration camp type atmosphere. Good luck.

Last edited by Sam I Am; 11-05-2007 at 03:06 PM.. Reason: please repost without quoting orphaned message

Old 11-05-2007, 03:08 PM

5,981 posts, read 18,270,385 times
Exclamation Tone it down

Please refrain from making statements about any one person involved in the educational system - you may say "the principal" or "the administration", but there won't be any more mention of private names due to slander and libel issues. Thanks for your cooperation.

This is a very, very old thread - if someone would like to start a new one, please feel free.

Old 11-05-2007, 03:21 PM

2 posts, read 11,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AEN2006 View Post
I thought you loved CHHS. What happened? I agree with you about the principal. He is not a people person. Most people I know didn't have a problem with being forced to go to CH per say. The problem was with the administration there. It could have been a totally positive experience for the students instead of a concentration camp type atmosphere. Good luck.
I still like the school just not the person in charge, he is too fickle.

Old 12-10-2007, 04:50 PM

1 posts, read 8,827 times
Center Hill High School is a great school.The principal is pretty tough but my two boys like him.I would rather the principal be too strict than not strict enough.My tenth grader got spanked last year for wearing his shirt tail out(second warning).He had a choice,stay after school or get licks.My boys are not perfect.I am old school and still think that educators are right most of the time.I also spend a lot of time with teenagers and don't have my head in the sand like some of you may think.

Old 12-11-2007, 05:20 PM

27 posts, read 150,191 times
Ahhh! The thread that will not die! I've heard enough about Center Hill to last forever. Agree to disagree and move on.

Old 10-15-2008, 09:37 AM

4 posts, read 16,323 times
Hello everyone. I am a thirty year old mom with two small kids, a six year old boy and a one year old girl. We are relocating to the Memphis area because my husband's company offered him a job transfer. We are currently living in northeastern PA. My husband was previously in the Army so we have lived in California and Virginia but have never even been to the southern part of the U.S. Anyway I am looking for some specific information about the area. From reading all of the messages on city-data for the past two weeks, I get that we should not live directly in Memphis. The relocating company that we are working with(Crye-Leike) has been sending us emails of homes in Hernando, Olive Branch, Horn Lake, and Southaven. It is impossible to know where to start because of the numerous subdivisions and not knowing if they are in a good area or not. Obviously we are looking for good schools but my son also has asthma so I would like to be either in driving distance of medical services or at least by good emergency services. We are also not used to living around any crime so I would not be comfortable in an area that has regular criminal activity. I also want a neighborhood with lots of young kids for my children. We will be flying down within the next few weeks to "look around" and moving over Christmas. Any information would be so appreciated. I feel like the real estate agents can't be very honest with me so somebody please help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi