Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2010, 05:16 AM

18 posts, read 97,858 times

Advertisements

Certain part of Gautier are bad areas.

Ga mountain girl : I sent you a PM
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2010, 07:55 PM

6 posts, read 13,333 times
My job allows me and my family to live anywhere. We chose Gautier, MS last year after traveling through the area and falling in love with all of the beautiful oaks and stately homes along the bayous and rivers. The people are so nice! And the taxes are lowest in the tri-county area. It's a bedroom community so it benefits from its bordering neighbors with bigger industries but I don't have to deal with traffic and other problems in a big metro area. We like all the national and state parklands in Gautier. Our friends have almost all retired or moved here after Katrina. Gautier is one of the highest points on the south coast and protected by barrier islands, so it sustained the least amount of Katrina-related damage. Me kids also love the school system. Wayne Rudolfich, the school supervisor, has turned the Jackson County school system into national blue ribbon schools. The high school was rated among top 100 by US News and World Report. Love it! Welcome new neighbor!

Old 12-11-2010, 07:58 PM

ms coast: What parts of Gautier are bad areas? Gautier has no slum or blight. I see that you're from Ocean Springs, so I take it that's just rivalry talking. Check your police statistics for OS compared to Gautier. No contest, Gautier is bigger and also safer.

There are 2 small areas with mobile homes from Katrina, but both have received facelifts and are being transitioned to cottage villages. For a 33 sq. mile city, Gautier is a beautiful coastal town!

Old 12-11-2010, 08:08 PM

What a terrible attitude! We moved here after living in Florida, which is much too over-regulated and over taxed. Mississippi has mre wildlife and natural resources than any other state outside of Alaska. It's gorgeous here with friendly people! And Gautier schools are a best kept sccret! Don't believe me? Look it up on US News and World Report Top 100 Schools in the nation!

Old 12-11-2010, 08:09 PM

Default Gautier is best place to live

My job allows me and my family to live anywhere. We chose Gautier, MS last year after traveling through the area and falling in love with all of the beautiful oaks and stately homes along the bayous and rivers. The people are so nice! And the taxes are lowest in the tri-county area. It's a bedroom community so it benefits from its bordering neighbors with bigger industries but I don't have to deal with traffic and other problems in a big metro area. We like all the national and state parklands in Gautier. Our friends have almost all retired or moved here after Katrina. Gautier is one of the highest points on the south coast and protected by barrier islands, so it sustained the least amount of Katrina-related damage. Me kids also love the school system. Wayne Rudolfich, the school supervisor, has turned the Jackson County school system into national blue ribbon schools. The high school was rated among top 100 by US News and World Report. Love it! Welcome new neighbor!

Old 12-11-2010, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSPKA View Post
Ocean Springs is a great city; I couldn't live anywhere else.

As far as Gautier- Stay away from the south side. That area can get a bit rough at times.

I will not go to Moss Point for any reason. I just do not feel comfortable stopping for a red light in this city- especially when a few feet away a thug is selling drugs on the corner.
I live in southern Gautier on the water just a short bike ride to Shepard State Park. What bad areas are you talking about? There's Point Clear, Shell Landing, and Old Town with historic homes and landmarks along the Pascagoula River. LOL. yeah, it's real bad down here. You stay up where you are...

Old 11-13-2012, 05:51 PM

2 posts, read 2,868 times
Default Move to Gautier

My family is looking to buy in Mississippi Gautier is an area of intrest. Some of the things we are looking for is a safe community, good schools, friendly community that has activies for children. I would really like to hear from local residents for postive and negative feed back concerning the area. I am trying to find out about clubs, resturants, parks, local activities, etc thank you

Old 11-14-2012, 12:40 PM

1 posts, read 1,439 times
Default Gautier, etc.

Gautier? Skip it. If you must live in southern MS, look in Ocean Springs. More to do, more to see, BETTER SCHOOLS, better business community, among other things - it's not perfect by any means, but it's still probably the best, safest and cleanest area on the coast. Yes, the housing, rents and taxes tend to be a little higher there than the rest of the coastal towns, but you'll soon discover why, and IMO it's worth it.

I lived in Gautier for seven years, and the people in my neighborhood were just so awful I couldn't even let my kid play outside on our own street. Thugs, loose dogs, drugs and drug dealers, psycho drivers, drunks, an inept and apathetic city government, bad infrastructure, businesses drying up... In all honesty I haven't met too many friendly people there. There are a few nice neighborhoods here and there where people have some pride, but overall, you'd do a lot better elsewhere. The only thing good about Gautier is that it's not Moss Point.

Old 11-18-2012, 07:05 PM

398 posts, read 545,354 times
Wow......I just took my first turn through Ocean Springs. What a Pretty Little town!! I stopped for a couple of beers and a sandwich on Government street but I just couldn't get over how different the ambiance was from Biloxi and Gulfport. I've got a feeling I am going to be spending quite a bit more time over on that side in the coming weeks.

FWIW.

Old 11-18-2012, 07:29 PM

2 posts, read 2,868 times
Thank you for the feed back Ocean Springs was also a choice I use to spend a good deal of time in Mississippi but have not spent as much since the storm and I know it changed communities, I use to love Ocean Springs the area, people etc. Play in Biloxi but always stayed in Ocean Spring, the house price looks good there I know insurance taxes will be high. The biggest concern is schools and safety as my husband will be way at times working. Again thanks for the input helps in the decision going to take a few days and look into the areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi