Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-10-2011, 07:10 PM

91 posts, read 203,876 times

Advertisements

I thought I'd post links to some videos that reflect (A) the type of work and (B) the company culture at Toyota. Despite the fact that most of these films depict the "final day" at another Toyota plant (NUMMI, which closed early last year), they also give a good look into what it's like to work there. They answer questions like "what type of culture" we might be working in and "how fast the pace is" on the line. There are a lot of links here so I'm not going to set all of them up as hyperlinks - just copy/paste to see the videos.

The Last NUMMI Truck

YouTube - The Last NUMMI Truck

The Last Truck Pt. 2

YouTube - The Last Truck Pt.2

HBO Documentary Films: The Last Truck: Closing of a GM Plant Preview (HBO)

YouTube - HBO Documentary Films: The Last Truck: Closing of a GM Plant Preview (HBO)

The Last NUMMI Car

YouTube - The Last NUMMI Car

NUMMI The Last Day 2nd shift

YouTube - NUMMI The Last Day 2nd shift

NUMMI

YouTube - NUMMI

NUMMI The Final Corolla As It Passes Through Trim

YouTube - NUMMI The Final Corolla As It Passes Through Trim

UPDATE: Or, I guess they'll just show up in my post. Ha.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2011, 08:05 PM

241 posts, read 410,021 times
Mikey, thanks for the post, it's awesome.

Old 05-10-2011, 10:16 PM

146 posts, read 245,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Faithful View Post
Not yet, After todays news from my friend I will go ahead and secure a temporary job until I hear from Toyota. I know they are still testing and interviewing but no one is being hired right now unless they are filling in gaps from people leaving or not making it for some reason or another. I know the bulk of the team members will be the last to be hired. The lady from Toyota told me to just be patient even though she said its frustrating not knowing. If you haven't gotten that dreaded rejection letter I say just stay positive and mostly prayerful that you will get called.
If they don't plan on hiring you after the interview, Do you know how long it may would take to get the rejection letter? Tomorrow will make 3 weeks since my interview.

Old 05-10-2011, 11:13 PM

1 posts, read 2,230 times
We have relocated to saltillo, ms, spouse is a manager for toyota, he was part of the california shut down, which employed 7000 people. Toyota is an awesome company to work for. The japanese take care of their employees with company christmas shutdowns which are actually paid by them, there will also be a paid summer shut down. They believe family comes first. My spouse was employed for 13 years before they moved their plant to blue springs, pay and benefits are excellent. Yes it is hard work but toyota is investing in mississippi. The area will grow and the economy will also. It will produce jobs outside the plant with suppliers. You will see the area grow in the next few years.

Old 05-11-2011, 03:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suvs View Post
Mikey, thanks for the post, it's awesome.
No problem suvs. The only thing is... I wonder, will all of that equipment be incorporated in Mississippi? Basically, I saw another video that I didn't post (it was about things invented as a result of the kaizen process) but it showed several components of their assembly line that the workers there put together/invented while there. One example is carts on a track that automatically bring parts around. It will be interesting to see how this place works!

Old 05-11-2011, 03:39 AM

Default Union?

Last I heard, this Toyota plant was NOT going to be unionized. Any updated word on that?

Old 05-11-2011, 09:01 AM

88 posts, read 150,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Faithful View Post
Hope everyone is staying positive. I heard today that hiring will slow down until August. I know they have new people coming in all the way up to June 6 so far. Just a heads up to everyone that is waiting as I am.
Thanks for the info, but did they give any explanation for the slowing down of the hiring process? My interviewer told me it could take up to 3 weeks to hear any word. I was interviewed on 3/29. I havent received a rejection letter, so i guess thats good news.

Old 05-11-2011, 09:17 AM

88 posts, read 150,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey38654 View Post
No problem suvs. The only thing is... I wonder, will all of that equipment be incorporated in Mississippi? Basically, I saw another video that I didn't post (it was about things invented as a result of the kaizen process) but it showed several components of their assembly line that the workers there put together/invented while there. One example is carts on a track that automatically bring parts around. It will be interesting to see how this place works!
Not sure who actually invented the automatic material handler (cart on track). But I have seen it in action in an automotive assembly plant in Alabama. Its supposed to be one of the most automated assembly plants in the US. If TMMMS has built anything close to that particular, we will be working in a "State of the Art Plant". To my knowledge, this plant implented that process to do away with forklift operators, thus making the shop floor more safer with lesss traffic flowing through the shop.

Old 05-11-2011, 10:15 AM

18 posts, read 34,461 times
Interview april 19 they call back two week later and physical may 4 final call may 9

Old 05-11-2011, 11:40 AM

241 posts, read 410,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by APERKINS1961 View Post
We have relocated to saltillo, ms, spouse is a manager for toyota, he was part of the california shut down, which employed 7000 people. Toyota is an awesome company to work for. The japanese take care of their employees with company christmas shutdowns which are actually paid by them, there will also be a paid summer shut down. They believe family comes first. My spouse was employed for 13 years before they moved their plant to blue springs, pay and benefits are excellent. Yes it is hard work but toyota is investing in mississippi. The area will grow and the economy will also. It will produce jobs outside the plant with suppliers. You will see the area grow in the next few years.
Welcome to Mississippi, I hope you don't get to bored.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi