Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-01-2011, 01:17 PM

15 posts, read 28,010 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by washes View Post
Like I was saying before... alot of people quit ecause it is not what they expected!!! This factory work is no where similar to others out there. Quit yes, because they can't get their heads around the "TOYOTA WAY" and to the poster that mention about copying the good USA way of production, Toyota does not come close to using that way. They have their own and have done very well with it.

With the current situation of parts fron Japan, Toyota still have managed to keep people busy in some way or another. To add that 85-90% of parts are us made and this is close to The big three as well, so to say its not a made in the Good old USA is going a little far.

As for getting people hired quick because for Oct production remember that there won't be 2 shifts right away, so the 2000 needed will be for 2 shifts. Don't be surprised to see production at the plant at only 50% to start as parts will be sent toplants that need it rght away. Parts have already been sent to other plants that were to go to Mississippi.

Like i said before 100-300 people quit or get let go in the first few months of hire because its not close to what they thought. You think the simulation was hard wait to the line work actually happen!!!
If you really want to "wrap your head around the toyota way" I suggest you do some serious reading. Everyone on this board as well as anyone considering working there and thinking it will be their dream job should be well informed on what they're getting into. Here are some links to start educating yourselves (and others though I don't recommend opening your mouths, only pointing others to this board):

On The Line News (http://www.onthelinenews.com/InTheNews/0806-InTheNews-Summer/00-InTheNews-June08-03.htm - broken link)

UAW busting, Southern style - latimes.com

What Could Dull Toyota's Edge

And a hint at the company's plan to undermine the American workforce to boost their bottom line. Before you get all warm and fuzzy, remember, all corporations are cut throat businesses that see labor as nothing more than an expense to be lowered, not treated fairly or respected (they'll only do what they HAVE to do to keep a workforce, nothing more).

On The Line News (http://www.onthelinenews.com/Newsletter/070901-Sept/01-news-Sept07-01.htm - broken link)

There's a reason they're not very interested in hiring very many, if any, former auto workers. They would probably be the first to warn others to watch their backs and why toyota fears unions and people talking much with each other (did you notice you didn't really get the name of ANYONE you went into the work simulation with? No friendly "team" introductions etc?). I'm not writing this to down anyone, I'm writing this as I know people on this board need jobs and see this as an awesome chance, I just want everyone to know, you're not dealing with warm and fuzzy, it's only made to seem that way (this is any company btw, not just Toyota). The links are all different articles even if named the same in blue. Research from there (Google and learn) and go into this job with your eyes wide open please. No I am not a union member (I've stated this before) never been one. Just never let the anti-union propaganda fool you.

I'd also like to know who's going to do the weight wall everyday for 15 dollars an hour (as Washes mentioned: "if you think the work simulation was hard, wait to the line work actually happen!!"). Does anyone truly feel up to that level of abuse? Think about that seriously before you answer in your head. If you think about it hard enough, you'll understand why unions were created in the first place.

As far as copying the good USA way of production. It's an assembly line, and it is VERY American, the inventor of the original efficient concept that was put into use, was named Henry Ford. Everything that came later, including Toyota's "way" is merely an update. Anyone that would argue what I've written here would be arguing facts and not in the best interest of people on this board. And those are the people I'm concerned about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2011, 02:35 PM

81 posts, read 147,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notmakeit2011 View Post
I interviewed dec.9 and tooked the drug test. Hireright completed my background check on dec. 22 . havent heard a thing untill this morning, check my mail box. I gotten that rejection letter from toyota. after six years working with ford. I'm 42 year old female. Best of luck you guys!!!!
My thing is, why are you just now getting a rejection letter ? 7 months after you had your interview and drug test. Really ? I mean really ? Not very courteous and totally unprofessional.

Old 06-01-2011, 04:28 PM

201 posts, read 386,254 times
I think Hireright should be called "Hirewrong" because they have dropped the ball on many potential great workers due to ignorance on their part.

Old 06-01-2011, 04:41 PM

91 posts, read 203,876 times
I read those articles. The last sentence of the BusinessWeek article was:
And starting pay at a plant being built in Mississippi will be lower than Toyota's traditional $16 an hour. "Toyota will react," McAlinden says. "They won't let GM get a $100-a-car advantage."

I thought it was going to be $15-18 an hour.

Here are some speculations from "On the Line":

No pay cuts – for now: At present Toyota claims “no one is going to cut base pay by $3 an hour.” But the $300 million in savings targeted by TEMA President Sudo over the next four years has to come from somewhere.
Some possibilities:
• No or reduced future pay raises until the average manufacturing wage catches up with Toyota.
• Increased use of temporary workers, to lower Toyota’s wage bill.
• Continued shifting of health care costs to Team Members. Toyota will pay less for health care; Toyota workers will pay more.

Old 06-02-2011, 02:10 PM

7 posts, read 13,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no1b4me View Post
My thing is, why are you just now getting a rejection letter ? 7 months after you had your interview and drug test. Really ? I mean really ? Not very courteous and totally unprofessional.
This whole entire process is so backwards I tell you the truth. 2 weeks is all a person need to find out if he gets a rejection letter or not, not 7 whole months, thats insane.

Old 06-02-2011, 03:32 PM

1 posts, read 3,811 times
Hello everybody this is my 1st time posting and I have a (?)... someone said that they recieved a rejection letter but was selected to take phase 3 which was an interveiw and drug tests. Any comments?

Old 06-02-2011, 04:03 PM

222 posts, read 371,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denease View Post
Hello everybody this is my 1st time posting and I have a (?)... someone said that they recieved a rejection letter but was selected to take phase 3 which was an interveiw and drug tests. Any comments?
Hi denease, Did you read that on this forum or someone who you know. Because I haven't heard this. Are they hired?

Old 06-02-2011, 04:17 PM

18 posts, read 32,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denease View Post
I read that post and I would definitely have to contact someone. Im not sure if she made it to the interview but it sounds like she didnt and was told she made it. They obviously mixed or messed up something. I would call until someone told me something. They should have records of who are to be interviewed. That is just CRAZY!!!

Old 06-02-2011, 06:27 PM

56 posts, read 89,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCB075 View Post
Well, folks...its official. I just received that dreaded rejection letter from Toyota. I also received the background info I requested from Hireright online. There was nothing in the report, absolutely nothing. In summary, the letter said "Due to the high interest in employment opportunities at TMMMS, the selection process was very competitive. After careful consideration, your qualifications do not match our hiring needs at this time". I had completed all phases of the process, including the interview (March 17th). I have 7 years of automotive assembly experience, and was not able to land a position. My qualifications weren't good enough? Unbelievable.

This is a post related to someone who got through the interview, but received a rejection letter. This guy had his interview the same day that I did which was March 17th. I also read someone else saying they had received a letter after the interview. It seems that the ones who have been waiting to hear something for months are just now hearing something. As of now, my status is still the same. "Your application is currently being reviewed. Please check back later to check on the status of your application."

Old 06-02-2011, 06:44 PM

102 posts, read 174,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bamadilly75 View Post
I also interviewed on May 17th..we may have seen each other and didn't know it
I interviewed May 17th as well... my interview time was 9am. I also heard from Hireright May 19th needing info. Getting very anxious!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi