Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2009, 07:15 PM

106 posts, read 398,733 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dal2aus View Post
$4,000 is nothing compared to 5% of your salary in personal income taxes plus sky-high auto registration fees every year plus regular sales taxes...and when you look around you have to ask, "Where does it all go?"

Like I said, what most concerns me is getting my money's worth. When you look at the infrastructure of TX vs. the infrastructure of MS, it's pretty clear that improvements could be made in how MS spends its tax dollars.

I'm not saying that TX is perfect, but just because I point out where MS falls short doesn't mean I regret my decision to move here. Back in TX, I actively challenged the status quo there. We plan on being here for a long while, but we're not just going to take the attitude that the way things are is the way they're supposed to be. If you truly care about your state, you have to be willing to be critical enough to look for ways to improve it.
I'm confused. Mississippi income tax is certainly significant. But there are exemptions and deductions. Marrried filing joint get a $12000 exemption. Then there are the deductions before taxable income. The standard deduction is $4600 for married. (Of course, if you have a mortage, then the deductions will be much greater.) But if you just consider the standard deduction, you have $16,600 untaxed to start. Say you are earning $75000, then you would have a taxable income of roughly (rounded) $60,000.

The tax rates are
3% on the first $5,000 of taxable income.
4% on the next $5,000 of taxable income.
5% on all taxable income over $10,000.

So on that hypothetical $75,000 of income, you would pay 5% on $50,000.

It's a lot, no question about that.

But there are other factors that enter into it. For example, if you are a Federal retiree, you pension is exempt. And if you have a lot of exemptions for children, that reduces it.

Texas infrastructure? Gimme a break. In Houston, you pay tolls repeatedly, just to get around. No tolls in Jackson, Mississippi. It all depends on where you live. Texas is one of the poorest states with extreme poverty - just like Mississippi in that regard.

Sales taxes are collected everywhere - in Mississippi and in Texas. Not much difference between the states.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2009, 07:23 PM

Just checked. Sales tax is 8.25% in Austin, Texas and 7% in Madison, Mississippi.

Old 09-25-2009, 08:14 PM

783 posts, read 2,257,038 times
LOL I never thought I'd see a discussion where Mississippians so staunchly defended taxes...

One of the differences is Mississippi taxes unprepared food as well. Lots of people take exception to this. I don't so much, because if you're on food stamps it's taken care of anyway - and it's not like we as a state aren't some of the fattest in the country. If anything, I'd say what we need is a fast food tax: If more than 25% of an eating establishment's business is take-outs or drive throughs, tax'em like cigs and alcohol.

Old 10-10-2009, 08:05 AM

Smile Taxes

Quote:
Originally Posted by poptones View Post
LOL I never thought I'd see a discussion where Mississippians so staunchly defended taxes...

One of the differences is Mississippi taxes unprepared food as well. Lots of people take exception to this. I don't so much, because if you're on food stamps it's taken care of anyway - and it's not like we as a state aren't some of the fattest in the country. If anything, I'd say what we need is a fast food tax: If more than 25% of an eating establishment's business is take-outs or drive throughs, tax'em like cigs and alcohol.
Not just fast food though. You'd have to tax those all-you-can-eat down-home southern cooking places, like Mama Hamil's in Madison, MS. Great food, great price, but I never saw so many people in one place at one time who needed two chairs to sit at the table.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi