Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-10-2006, 11:01 PM

564 posts, read 2,341,479 times

Advertisements

Hello. I am currently a 21 year old college student at Arkansas Tech University (in central Arkansas, about 7,000 students) and I'm getting my Bachelor's in Middle Level Education (4-8th grade), and will get my masters in Elementary Education afterward. I'm originally from Brookhaven, Mississippi, born and raised, and I'm related to pretty much half of the state, haha (and Louisiana for that matter.)

I've noticed in Arkansas that unless I'm in the Bentonville-Springdale area, I'll barely make over 32,000, even with my Masters, and even in the Springdale area that 40K doesn't mean much due to the housing costs and cost of living.

I'm just wondering, how is the job market for teachers in my racket? I'd like to stay in the North/Northwest part of Mississippi if I did, and keeping the minority population below 35% (not racist, just preference in teaching). I'm home sick for the Magnolia State, but am I better off staying where I am? Do you think in 3 1/2 years that the situation would be any better?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2006, 08:01 AM

21 posts, read 68,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by undertheironsea View Post

I've noticed in Arkansas that unless I'm in the Bentonville-Springdale area, I'll barely make over 32,000, even with my Masters, and even in the Springdale area that 40K doesn't mean much due to the housing costs and cost of living.

I'm just wondering, how is the job market for teachers in my racket? I'd like to stay in the North/Northwest part of Mississippi if I did, and keeping the minority population below 35% (not racist, just preference in teaching). I'm home sick for the Magnolia State, but am I better off staying where I am? Do you think in 3 1/2 years that the situation would be any better?
Hello undertheironsea, the teacher salary in Arkansas is higher than Mississippi by a few thousand dollars. If I were you I would look into Tennessee. You could teach in Tenn. which has much better pay and still be close to North Mississippi. I am a teacher in Mississippi with 7 years experience, two M. A. s, and I drive a school bus. All of my degrees and jobs earn me approximately 44,000 a year before taxes. There are states with a lot better pay than MS. that is one reason I am moving WEST by the end of the year. Good luck - Benton

Old 10-12-2006, 01:31 PM

It's something I'll have to think about. I don't want to get too far into Tennessee because of distance from family. I still have the 'come back home' itch, it's just something I'll have to think about.

Old 12-10-2006, 12:21 PM

61 posts, read 277,057 times
Arrow DeSoto - Schools

DeSoto County Schools start out $32,900 w/ no experience and with a BA degree in Education.

I am not sure what the % is on the race issue you asked about.

I do know with this district the schools are increasing every year, and so is the population.

Vicki

Old 12-10-2006, 02:25 PM

114 posts, read 602,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by undertheironsea View Post
It's something I'll have to think about. I don't want to get too far into Tennessee because of distance from family. I still have the 'come back home' itch, it's just something I'll have to think about.
I also would recommend looking into De Soto County. Southaven and Olive Branch are booming, and appear to be fairly affluent. I would imagine salaries, facilities, and parent involvement would be a lot better up there than in some other areas in this state.

Old 12-11-2006, 12:29 PM

39 posts, read 289,441 times
Shelby County Schools might be worth looking into if you are willing to consider Tennessee. The minority population is lower than in the city schools and you have some affluent areas there as well - Germantown, Collierville. They start out at about 36,800 with no experience and with a Masters degree the starting salary is about 39,800.

Old 12-02-2007, 04:55 PM

Just wondering if there's any update on this situation as of late?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi