Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-18-2006, 03:06 PM

1 posts, read 4,591 times

Advertisements

I am a daughter of Elias Alphonso Hunter who was born in West Point, MS in 1890, and married Dell Hollingsworth Hunter, of Dodson,Louisiana in the 1940's. They actually had children in the 1950's, and I am the only surviving child of that union.

I have lived in my father's house in Omaha, Nebraska for the past several years, and would dearly love to relocate to the West Point-Columbus area. Believe me, if you knew Omaha, Nebraska, my wanting to relocate to this tiny area would not come as a surprise!

I'm a graduate of Roosevelt University in Chicago, with a master's degree in business, and I really, really wanted to bring whatever skills I could bring to Mary Holmes Collge in West Point. I'm very disappointed to see the Mary Holmes College has closed.

Benny Turner would be a relative of mine. Is Mr. Turner still alive? Dr. Albert Charles Hunter and his wife, Berenice, are long-deceased relatives of mine.TiBertha Hunter was a darling, now deceased relative. I am not the least bit put off by the tiny, boring, dustiness of West Point; I have spent time in Dodson, Louisiana and I know what a country hamlet is. However, I've experienced quite a bit of life and, in my early '50s, I am not an idealist.

I actually think that I have quite a bit to offer West Point. Any feedback?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2007, 02:47 AM

1 posts, read 4,585 times
Smile Mary Holmes

Hello I am from West Point and yes Benny Turner is alive. Just thought u would like to know this and also Mary Holmes College has opened back up but not full-time.They really need your help if you are willing to offer, I am sure of that. Moderator cut: please contact poster via direction message - no personal information, please - too many internet trolls! GOOD LUCK,
FROM WEST POINT

Last edited by Sam I Am; 12-03-2007 at 04:46 AM..

Old 02-25-2007, 01:56 PM

114 posts, read 600,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandra Ann Hunter View Post
Believe me, if you knew Omaha, Nebraska, my wanting to relocate to this tiny area would not come as a surprise!......I'm a graduate of Roosevelt University in Chicago, with a master's degree in business, and I really, really wanted to bring whatever skills I could bring to Mary Holmes Collge in West Point. ......I am not the least bit put off by the tiny, boring, dustiness of West Point

I thought that Omaha was supposed to be a great place to live -- can you elaborate?

I couldn't tell from your post if you've ever lived in or even been to West Point. It is a very economically depressed little burg, and will become even more so with the upcoming March 31 closure of the Bryan Foods meat packing plant, which will effectively destroy the jobs of over 2000 people, about half of those being West Point residents.

If you are interested in working for a college/university, there are three within a 20-mile radius of West Point (not including Mary Holmes).

Last edited by Marka; 02-26-2007 at 04:57 AM.. Reason: repaired code

Old 02-26-2007, 11:57 AM

6 posts, read 18,130 times
Default West Point Needs You!

I grew up in West Point and still visit relatives and friends there. It's true that they are facing a huge challenge with the closing of the Sara Lee plant. The city and its economic development arm are seeking a buyer for the plant, as well as other possibilities for employers to locate in West Point.

Your education and background would be valuable to them. You might consider living in WP and working at Mississippi State in Starkville, Mississippi University for Women in Columbus, or at the North Miss. Community College campus. All of these are easy commutes with virtually no traffic.

If you are at all civic minded or have an interest in education or social improvement, I urge you to move there and get involved. You will be valued.

Old 12-02-2007, 06:52 PM

2 posts, read 7,398 times
Hi Sandra
We're related by marriage. My late mother-in-law, Sidney Terry Adams is a close relative of yours. I'll love to discuss more with you. I've tried to locate you via white pages in Omaha.
I'd like to invite you and your family to visit "home" this summer (July 4th). We will be celebrating "Homecoming". Look forward to talking to you more.
I also need to let you know that your cousin Dorothy Cox (Estelle Hunter's cousin) met you in Chicago, when you were in school, visiting 'Stel".
You may contact me also at my email address, Moderator cut: please contact via direct message

Last edited by Sam I Am; 12-03-2007 at 04:47 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi