Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-15-2009, 02:31 AM

4 posts, read 13,229 times

Advertisements

How is the crime, neighbors, flooding etc. there? Am looking to more to that area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2009, 04:32 PM

1,098 posts, read 3,108,013 times
I don't know about crime and neighbors although I would guess crime is very low. My impression is that the Eagle Lake area is a mecca for hunting and fishing and has a somewhat rustic feel. Some of the most fertile soil in the world is located down near where the Yazoo River meets the Mississippi River. There are oxbow lakes, bottomland hardwood forests, swamps, cropland, and hills down around that area.

Old 10-21-2009, 05:35 PM

3 posts, read 9,924 times
eagle lake is awesome! check out the fun little "hole in the wall" bar / store....Lo-Sto... good times happen there

Old 10-22-2009, 08:34 AM

1,008 posts, read 3,390,342 times
Everyone that I know out there uses their property as more of a weekend home or vacation home rather than a primary residence. It's peaceful, but make sure you have a screened-in porch, because the bugs can get bad out there, especially at night. If you live there, you need a boat or know someone there who has one - there is plenty of room to ski and fish. This is the kind of place where you make a run to the store before going to the lake, because once you're there, you're not close to anything other than a gas station - but the isolation is part of the fun and can be very relaxing.

If you're not from Mississippi, be prepared for a culture shock.

Old 12-27-2009, 02:05 AM

4 posts, read 13,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksonian View Post
Everyone that I know out there uses their property as more of a weekend home or vacation home rather than a primary residence. It's peaceful, but make sure you have a screened-in porch, because the bugs can get bad out there, especially at night. If you live there, you need a boat or know someone there who has one - there is plenty of room to ski and fish. This is the kind of place where you make a run to the store before going to the lake, because once you're there, you're not close to anything other than a gas station - but the isolation is part of the fun and can be very relaxing.

If you're not from Mississippi, be prepared for a culture shock.
----------I've lived in Wisconsin 57 years--explain culture shock???

Old 12-28-2009, 10:33 AM

1,008 posts, read 3,390,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by novicesnowbird View Post
----------I've lived in Wisconsin 57 years--explain culture shock???
I'm not familiar with your lifestyle in Wisconsin, but I'm confident that it is at least somewhat different from the culture that is prevalent at Eagle Lake. For starters, the humidity and heat will take a lot of getting use to - you will see very little snow down here, and some winters you will not see any snow at all. The high humidity that makes the summers feel extremely hot and muggy also makes the cold winter days/nights feel colder than normal. Eagle lake is known to have a ton of bugs, especially at night. Most who have houses/cabins there have screened-in porches to keep the bugs out. Like I said earlier, there are very few supply stores nearby, so you will most often stock up on supplies/food/etc before you make the trip to the lake (expect 45 minute drive one way to town). I don't know anyone who actually lives there full-time, but I imagine those who do will be very interesting to meet for someone from Wisconsin. You will get asked by everyone you meet, "Why did you move here to Eagle Lake in Mississippi from up north in Wisconsin?" It will be entertaining and fun when you first get there because it's all new to you, then you will find things that you may not like or disagree with, but eventually you will become accustom to the new culture and find ways to make certain things work that you don't like while you enjoy other things that you like. Also, it will definitely help if you are handy and have some building skills. Most of the structures there are built by hand by locals, most of them built out of wood. I would definitely buy a boat once I got settled in as well.

Old 12-29-2009, 01:11 AM

783 posts, read 2,256,838 times
It's been 35 years since I spent a summer there, but I remember a very cool camp house with screened in everything, lots and lots of mosquitos at night, and a lake so filled with gar you couldn't catch much else because they'd take your bait soon as you threw in a hook. It was definitely a fun summer, and we caught enough catfish to have good dinners, but the gar were really pests. The bugs were too but being from Michigan I can safely say the bugs ain't much worse than Michigan's. I cannot imagine Wisconsin being much different in that respect.

It's a very pretty place. The whole area around Vicksburg is. Convenient too - less than four hours and you can be in Texas at one of the biggest flea markets in the country, or in New Orleans, or in Memphis...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi