Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2009, 09:14 PM

564 posts, read 2,341,831 times

Advertisements

Rednecks are everywhere in this country, and things like this happen in every rural area you can find, not just Mississippi, the poster above is correct. Some people are just idiots.

Old 11-04-2009, 10:49 AM

388 posts, read 856,036 times
[quote=hrtofdixiechk;11422522]it seems to me that you may be judging a group of people by a one or two horrible stories you were told. There are sick people everywhere you go! Plus, if you live in a rural area the view of stray animals may be different. They may have a problem with rabic animals running around and such. I'm not defending them, just trying to see the other side and not judge the actions of a few as commonplace for the larger community.[/quote

LOL ... Judging a group of people by a one or two horrible stories...
the funny thing is they do that here to.. hey kids lets go out hunting for strays today....

Old 11-04-2009, 04:45 PM

767 posts, read 2,291,717 times
I think some of you folks need to do a little reading. Here is a start.
http://www.abcbirds.org/abcprograms/.../predation.pdf

Old 11-04-2009, 06:06 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,259,715 times
About three months ago, three young cats appeared in this neighborhood. All looked skinny and young. But they were not afraid of people. The malle is a tabby and is now well fed and somebodys cat as with one of the preggers females. The black and white one came to me for food. She was very skinny even with enough food.

Then during a rainstorm thha got the under house aeea wet, she starrted bringing up kittens. They ran but she didn't stop bringing them as I started catching them. She would let me pick her up and eventually I got all the kittens and she decided to come in herself.

My cat and she are getting used to each other but I wouldn't leave them alone in a room. But now I have beautiful friendly kittens that I won't just give away on craigslist to anyone. I want to keep a couple of them but unless a rescue group can help may end up with 8 cats. Thats six kittens and my older cat and mom. I could have mom fixed and let her rove, but she is used to being an inside cat and doesn't want to even go out.

Better yet she has been bringing me dead mousies as gifts. I praise her and give her a treat. My dogs stare at places and my older cat just watches. First mouse got her a home for sure.

These cats were dumped. They were all young and friendly and hadn't really become feral. They are lucky that people took them in since most dumped ones either die or live short hard lives as feral kitties producing even more babies.

There are city animal shelters in OKC and Stillwater, the closest large town, but here the city has no shelter. The local humane society mostly is interested in dogs. So when people dump the unwanted pet they are leaving them to the charity of locals. I don't understand this but it isn't confined to small rural towns. My older cat was found at four weeks, having been abandoned. I discovered my landlady dumped her since she scrached their little two legged terrors. If I hadn't found her she would have died, being abandoned in a garage.

I hate that kittens and moms and pups and dogs are put down at shelters. But I'd rather they end their lives peacefully by a vet than slowly starving. I wouldn't take a pet I couldn't care for to a shelter, but either find a home for them or let them gently go myself. But what needs to happen is a very cheap spay and neuter service that would encourage people to fix their animals. I can't pay seventyfive dollars to the vet per female, more for mom since she could be in heat/preggers, and an unknown per male. So any male kittens will be fixed and I'll take care of the females as I can. But I would have all of them fixed if there was a way.

And I wouldn't be suprised if the dumped cats came from the city. Its called the somebody elses problem solution.

Old 11-04-2009, 08:49 PM

18 posts, read 78,303 times
Euthenasia of animals seems cruel yet is far preferable to someone shooting at feral cats, dogs etc. I say that because no matter how good a shot someone is there is always that possibility of an injury and the animal running off and dying a painful, lingering death. There's also this to consider - maybe the people shooting those animals have a phobia about diseases - it's hard to say. Also, what about the possibility of rabies and other diseases from non-inoculated animals? This year the big fear is the H1N1 flu - not long ago the pandemic fear was bird flu. Scientists big concern is the mutating of these types of diseases from specifically animal-to-animal passage to animal-to-human and then human-to-human causing a major pandemic around the world. I do NOT agree with people shooting animals in their yard and acting like it's fun or a sport. That's wrong. The responsible thing is to report loose animals to the cognitive authorities and let them deal with it.

Old 11-05-2009, 09:00 AM

8,652 posts, read 17,240,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by undertheironsea View Post
Rednecks are everywhere in this country, and things like this happen in every rural area you can find, not just Mississippi, the poster above is correct. Some people are just idiots.
Wild dogs will attack liberals too, not just rednecks...If you don't think they can be dangerous turn your ten year old child loose among a pack of them or just one or two of them..

These wild dogs are not your neighbors pet! Any dog allowed to run loose will return to its wild side...even if it goes home every day or two...

Old 11-05-2009, 12:44 PM

783 posts, read 2,257,863 times
I lived in los angeles, on a block with a house every 100 feet or so. At the bottom of the hill was a duplex with a brick fence around the yard and a dog that barked CONSTANTLY all day and often into the night. The korean lady that owned it worked at the hospital and so had no appreciation at all for what this dog did, as it only did ti when she was gone. The dog was locked up alone in the back yard with nothing but a water dish. Supposedly it was trained and it seemed to be as it would not approach anyone passing by or take a treat if left one. It just barked. Barkbarkbarkbark.

Another nightbor had two locked in the back yard, they didnt even live in the house. they would come by once or twice a week and feed and water the things. The dogs were just locked in the back yard with no territory to speak of and nothing to do but bark at the other dogs.

How is this any worse than some of the other stuff you talk about? These were not "rednecks" they were city dwelling california fruits who claim to love animals.

Animals are what they are. A cat left on its own can survive, few dogs can. And either way, allwing them to become out of balance is harmful on the ENTIRE ecosystem from frogs (which are also endangered in many places) to coyotes and other predators which help preserve balance.

This notion that people are not part of the natural order of things is ridiculous. Because we can build structures we're not "natural?" Then lets remove termites and ants from the natural order. And beavers and birds. Because we can use tools we're nto natural? Let's remove all primates from the list too then.

We're all part of nature. Sometimes some do selfish, stupid things like drop dogs off on the side of the road - leaving the job to others to re-establish that balance.

How many of you pet lovers realize just how much resources it takes to feed a pet? A decent size dog consumes as much resources in its life as an SUV driven 40,000 miles. And what about "ethics?" Peta rails on and on about mistreatment of animals yet refuses to adopt a position AT ALL on abortion - never mind even taking on the issue of "rights" (which I agree should be preserved) but simply to say "we acknowledge choice but want to encourage prospective mothers to show the same compassion to their unborn they would show a kitten or bird..."

Harrumph. Animals live and die and are eaten by other animals. Sometimes they are killed for no reason at all. To insist we are not A NATURAL part of that cycle of life is, quite frankly, naive and ignorant.

Old 11-05-2009, 02:37 PM

I'm having fried chicken for supper tonight.

Old 11-05-2009, 03:06 PM

783 posts, read 2,257,863 times
rotfl. we ate an ocean of sushi last night. i wonder how many peta members love sushi and sashimi?

steak fajitas tonight! Arriba!

Old 11-05-2009, 03:16 PM

My Dad ate dog in 1918 during WW1 in France. A French family fed him. He said it was delicous.
When I served in Korea in 1957 you could see meat shops in Seoul with fresh dog available.
Cows, Pigs, Chickens, Fish,dogs, cats. In the end, they are just meat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi