Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2009, 03:22 PM

783 posts, read 2,257,863 times

Advertisements

lol. Well since dogs are scavengers and will eat pretty much anything I doubt I could bring msyelf to eat one unless I was really hungry. Same with cats. I don't even care for catfish lol.

Old 11-06-2009, 08:31 AM

13,495 posts, read 37,444,374 times
Just wanted to share a bit of info with you~

There are four states that still only consider animal abuse to be a misdemeanor. Mississippi is one of them along with my own state. (South Dakota) We have petitions out and are trying to collect enough signatures from registered voters so it can be brought before our state legislature in January. Just something you may want to consider.

Old 11-06-2009, 11:41 AM

I think we got too many laws already, and worrying about making animal abuse on par with human abuse offends me. Besides, what's "abuse?" Hunting is legal. So is shooting a dog supposed to be criminal but shooting a deer or a cow or a pig not illegal?

Animals are what they are. It offends me to see someone treat an animal cruelly, but my notions of cruel may not jibe with yours. What if I think shooting a dog is better than letting it starve, but chaining a dog in a yard is cruel and unnatural?

Old 11-06-2009, 12:06 PM

17 posts, read 75,495 times
I am a Wildlife Biologist and a avid hunter and I hate seeing animals abandoned because in the end someone else has to deal with them. Feral Cats are extremely good predators and they do impact song bird populations. I deal with all kind of Human/Animal conflicts. Some of these problems can be solved without killing the animal and some cannot. We have a feral dog problem we are working on right now and these will be live trapped and brought to the local animal shelter and probably will be ultimately euthanized. This pack of dogs has been patrolling the city taking advantage of whatever resources are available (peoples trash). We have gotten complaints from citizens for fear of potential attacks on small children or their pets. The pack continues to grow unchecked with the help of a few well meaning citizens who dump dog food out everyday only making the problem worst. Disease these dogs carry as well as the parisites (fleas and ticks) that they carry can potential affect human and animal populations.
On a personal note: For those of you who still dont consider feral dogs a threat. We lived out in the country (Rural Mississippi) and there was a pack of feral dogs that kept coming around and I hoped that they would just leave. Well they didn't and I came home to find my dog torn to shreads and my little girls crying their eyes out. I brought my dog to the vet and he had to be euthanized. I will from now on will shoot any strays that look feral that come within close proximity to my house.
As for PETA and there efforts they are unrealistic idoits. Alot of good could come from their efforts if they would realize that there is a balance that has to be reached between human and animals and sometimes that requires a certain population of animals to be taken. Nothing good comes from a person that has no respect for animals or from the loons (PETA)that think no animals or their parts can be used by humans. They only succeed in dividing people. Everyone on this thread owes their very existence to the hunters and settlers, because someone down YOUR linage had to hunt, fish, trap, plant vegetables, or tame farm animals to get to this very point in history. These people along with the Native Americans knew there was a balance. And now for PETA to say, alright guys everyone should be a vegan and meat and animal hubandry is no longer a neccesity to live is close minded. I hunt as much from a spritual side (admiring Gods creation) as for a the meat that feeds my family. The water used to irrigate and grow vegetables comes from some stream that could potential affect fish populations if not monitored. Cotten used to make clothes takes up wildlife habitat. The tolet paper you use comes from trees. The plastic products you use takes some sort of manufacturing process that could potential put polutants into streams and the air. My point here is not to brow beat everyone but just to say YOUR very existence on this earth impacts (sometimes negative and sometimes positive) something or someone everyday.

Old 11-07-2009, 07:17 AM

6,811 posts, read 6,946,145 times
There is a huge difference between Native Americans hunting and what goes on today, especially from that sad excuse for a human that suggested using strays as "game animals". The Native Americans respected the animals they hunted, thanked them for giving their life, and used up every bit of their lifeless bodies they could. Their survival depended on it. A big difference from people who kill simply for the joy of killing.

Out of all the animals I have rescued or fed, not once did I feel in danger. The starving dogs and cats responded with gratitude and ones I have kept as pets reward me daily with unconditional love and loyalty. Saying dogs revert to their wild state in a matter of days is ridiculous. Yes, packs of homeless dogs can be dangerous and all the more reason why cities and counties must provide for a proper solution to unwanted animals...so they aren't let loose to form packs.

I agree Peta goes overboard in many areas, and gives the impression to many that animal lovers are 'kooks". But they have been instrumental in helping establish animal cruelty laws, which is important. If people feel they can treat animals in any way they choose with no control or repercussions, it gives them the opportunity to do what they may not otherwise do if there were consequences to their actions. It is a documented and proven fact that people who torture or mistreat animals also exhibit abusive behavior to humans. All serial killers as children were animal abusers.

Regardless of how you feel about PETA, compassion, kindness and caring for God's helpless creatures is not kooky - I applaud all the folks who responded to this thread with those qualities. For the folks who just don't "get it"....I can only hope you evolve from the ignorance and cruelty and develop a heart for animals sometime in your life.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated”....Mahatma Gandhi

Old 11-07-2009, 08:11 AM

2,319 posts, read 4,803,318 times
I won't say that I like the idea of someone shooting any animals (dog, horse, cow, etc); however, I prefer that people shoot animals (and kill them quickly not target practice so the animal suffers) as opposed to hanging them, drowning them, deliberately running over them, or throwing them off roofs for sport. I know it happens, and it's disgusting. I believe cases like that SHOULD be considered animal cruelty, and that the law should permit harsher punishment for these cases.

Poptones, you asked "what's "abuse?" ". One definition is "the crime of inflicting physical pain, suffering or death on an animal, usually a tame one, beyond necessity for normal discipline. It can include neglect that is so monstrous (withholding food and water) that the animal has suffered, died or been put in imminent danger of death."

The humane societies and organizations I've been a part of are hesitant to interfere unless the animals appears to be at high risk (no food or water), has been abandoned, or physical signs of abuse are visible.

I personally have no problem with a person protecting their families from feral or dangerous animals. I would kill a dog or cat in a heartbeat if it attacked my family or my pets, but abuse is a different thing completely.

Old 11-07-2009, 03:48 PM

4,885 posts, read 7,287,508 times
Original Poster:

Even your pastor admitted "shooting strays". My husband is a pastor and he would never consider shooting an animal. He doesn't even hunt. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with hunting, for food, but I do have a problem with people who simply kill animals for sport. This pastor needs to find an alternate way to move unwanted animals from his yard. He certainly would not be my pastor.

Old 11-07-2009, 04:02 PM

It is not cruel to kill an animal, it is more often cruel to allow it to live. And what is "inflicting pain?" You think getting a shot from a vet is not painful? We are not talking about reality we are talking about degreees and shades of grey on a fairly inconsequential matter. Making animal cruelty punishments harder because "serial killers were cruel to animals" is just stupid. I bet all serial killers have masturbated at some point, or stuck a pin on someone's chair as a kid, or driven a car too fast. Maybe we should outlaw those things too? You're not going ot somehow eradicate the world of sociopaths by outlawing every action that is a symptom of the condition. Maybe we should enact punishment for anyone displaying symptoms of cancer? Surely that would cure the world of cancer! I can't believe no one has thought of that before!

Mahatma ghandi was of a religion that believes animals are inhabited by the souls of former humans. Sorry but making laws based on some religious mumbo jumbo is NOT what this country is about, I don't care what the beliefs. And this is especially ironic given the state of India - the widespread poverty, the animals running about in the streets.. yeah, really "evolved."

Old 11-08-2009, 06:27 AM

6,811 posts, read 6,946,145 times
Thank you for clarifying the sickening mentality regarding animal abuse. In your words "It's fairly inconsequential" and you have no conception of what constitutes abuse and inflicting pain on animals since you need a definition. How sad.

I knew I'd be opening the door for negative comments regarding my quote from Ghandi. I'm Christian and don't agree with his religious beliefs, but have great respect for the immense changes he brought about in his country through non-violence and love. Which extended to all living creatures. To negate him and his wisdom because the entire country hasn't evolved to his level is foolish. Besides, this isn't about religion.

Old 11-08-2009, 10:51 AM

I'm not christian but i DO have respect for other's beliefs. That respect includes, however, insisting others respect MINE as well, and that includes not being legislated against from the pulpit. Perhaps reading some Thomas Payne would help you understand.

I also do not like being called "ignorant" as I am quite far from it in this matter. The fact I may not share YOUR BELIEFS does nto mean I am ignorant, I simply CHOOSE NOT TO BELIEVE AS YOU DO. A true choice cannot be made in ignorance and you are quite out of line coming in here with that attitude. I did not call you names, I demand the same respect.

Again, I'll challenge the "evolved" bit. As I already pointed out no matter what else ghandi was he chose to believe some pretty off the wall stuff - and before you going making assumptions about my heritage I'll remind you I have not said anything either way about christian beliefs. Beliefs make us what we are and I do respect others who embody their beliefs, but imo calling anyone who believes so strongly in superstitious mumbo jumbo of any sort "evolved" is like calling the pope a scientist.

Have you studied ecology AT ALL? So cats are OK and should be treated with reverence no matter what they do to the bird and frog populations? I dare say a bullet to the head is a much more compassionate and painless death than any suffered at the claws of one of your cute cuddly kitties or most especially at the jaws of a hungry pack animal or two. Given the way animals in shelters are suffocated after being subjected to a confined, alien environment for so many days to weeks I'd say the bullet is one of the most compassionate methods of animal control.

Hey just for kicks, I'm curious where your "evolved" beliefs guide you on human abortion as well. Do you share that same absolute respect for life and compassion when it comes to human life? Not that I will argue or otherwise attack you on it no matter your stated beliefs, just color me curious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi