U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2010, 12:33 PM

1,112 posts, read 2,451,715 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert kid View Post
Sorry that I have not replied much, I really appreciate the help. I have compiled a revised list of locations.

Vicksburg National Battlefield Museum, Vicksburg, MS
Vicksburg National Military Park, Vicksburg, MS.
William Johnson House, Natchez, MS.
Grenada Confederate Forts (near Grenada Resevoir), Grenada, MS.
Natchez National Historic Park, Natchez, MS
Grand Gulf Military Park, Grand Gulf/Port Gibson, MS
Port Gibson Battlefield, Port Gibson, MS.

Confederate Cemetary, Raymond, MS.
Raymond Military Park, Raymond, MS.
Cedar Hill Cemetary and Soldiers Rest, Vicksburg, MS
Rosswood Plantation, Lorman, MS
The Cottage Plantation, St. Francisville, LA
Myrtles Plantation, St. Francisville, LA
Rosedown Plantation, St. Francisville, LA

Is there anything else in that particular region that you native Mississippians may know about that an outsider like me may not?

I am counting down the days until July!
I noticed you are hitting Grenada, which is 60 miles from Oxford. Looks like you are more interested in Civil War history, but Oxford has a nice historic square, University of Mississippi, and William Faulkner's home among other things. May be worth a visit.

Oxford Mississippi Convention & Visitors Bureau, Oxford, MS
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2010, 01:27 PM

3,372 posts, read 4,790,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhadorn View Post
I noticed you are hitting Grenada, which is 60 miles from Oxford. Looks like you are more interested in Civil War history, but Oxford has a nice historic square, University of Mississippi, and William Faulkner's home among other things. May be worth a visit.

Oxford Mississippi Convention & Visitors Bureau, Oxford, MS
Doesn't look that far, I'll think about it.

Old 01-29-2010, 02:44 PM

I'm still considering Oxford, and I'm still looking for places just to drive through, drive around and enjoy, a few towns off the interstates look nice.

Old 01-30-2010, 12:15 PM

1,098 posts, read 2,950,347 times
It looks like your main area is from Vicksburg down to Natchez and then to Louisiana. That will be a nice area to drive and explore. Candidly Grenada is not exactly scenic, except for golf course in the state park next to the lake which is beautiful, and the landscape around Grenada which is hilly and wooded. You will see this along I-55. In this general area, your best bet in that direction will be Kosciusko, which has a traditional town square and some nice residential areas just east of the downtown area. Also, there is Greenwood, which is revitalizing its downtown centered around the 4-star Alluvian Hotel. Part of Greenwood looks a little rough but the north half of Greenwood along Grand Avenue is picture perfect, with tree-lined streets and charming older homes. In the area near Grenada, Oxford is by far the nicest and most interesting to visit.

Old 03-28-2010, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brickpatio View Post
It looks like your main area is from Vicksburg down to Natchez and then to Louisiana. That will be a nice area to drive and explore. Candidly Grenada is not exactly scenic, except for golf course in the state park next to the lake which is beautiful, and the landscape around Grenada which is hilly and wooded. You will see this along I-55. In this general area, your best bet in that direction will be Kosciusko, which has a traditional town square and some nice residential areas just east of the downtown area. Also, there is Greenwood, which is revitalizing its downtown centered around the 4-star Alluvian Hotel. Part of Greenwood looks a little rough but the north half of Greenwood along Grand Avenue is picture perfect, with tree-lined streets and charming older homes. In the area near Grenada, Oxford is by far the nicest and most interesting to visit.
Thank you brickpatio.

I really hate to necro-post but there have been developements, it turns out me and my family are coming. So this means that I'll only be touring the old plantation homes, were still going to all the places listed. Are there any good places to stay for a family of 4?

Old 03-28-2010, 09:56 PM

1,098 posts, read 2,950,347 times
The Hampton Inn and Suites in Vicksburg is located right at the entrance of the Vicksburg Military Park and is very nice. In Natchez, the Grand Hotel downtown is very nice and overlooks the river. These are both modern hotels. If you want to stay in something historic, you should visit the Natchez and Vicksburg visitor and tourism websites. Natchez' most famous plantations that also serve as hotels are Monmouth and Dunleith. In Vicksburg, there are several bed and breakfasts downtown.

Old 06-24-2010, 09:55 AM

1 posts, read 3,133 times
the battlefield museum in vicksburg ms is a waste of time and your money it barely has anything in it about the war it mainly has small boats that has noting to do with anything i should have just saved my money and time it was really small and dirty and smelled bad too
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi