Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2009, 09:17 AM

5,781 posts, read 11,873,729 times

Advertisements

As a foreigner, I'm flabbergasted by this :
Memphis: A War Zone That Even Iraqi Vets Are Afraid To Come Home To - By Tal Sutsa - The eXiled

Is it really true, or just BS? Your opinion?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2009, 09:23 AM

2,975 posts, read 8,116,304 times
You should have posted that in the TN forum by rights.

My fiancés aunt lives in Senatobia and works in Memphis. She said theres at least one shooting every night and that i've to stay in MS

Old 09-19-2009, 10:33 AM

I know it's in TN, but I was just in a hurry (busy), so I posted it here (and anyway it's damn close to the Miss border), if the Moderator could move it to the TN thread ? ("Moderator, please"!)

Old 09-19-2009, 10:39 AM

Please, Nancy, or else I'll have to create a thread on the TN Forum, so the question will be asked 2 times !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 09-19-2009, 11:08 AM

783 posts, read 2,258,077 times
LOL dude you're citing an article from THE EXILE. I enjoy that rag from time to time as well (the article about Russian tourism in Turkey is most hilarious) but you really got a take that al with a dash of salt. These are people who left America behind to live in RUSSIA. Now, I've considered this many a time myself (Russian women are hot, yo) but had I done so I would hardly consider the Exile to be my objective link to the homeland. This is the same paper that features "911 things to hate about America!" They're about as fair and balanced as FOX news...

Old 09-19-2009, 12:15 PM

16,072 posts, read 21,148,356 times
There is a lot of hate and some warped views in that article, but there are a few grains of truth in there. There is an area of Memphis where the infant mortality rate rivals that of some third world countries. There are neighborhoods where people don't venture in unless they belong there, and drugs and violence are just a way of life. Can't think why anyone in their right mind would even want to "come home" to one of those areas once they ever made it out either.
But to paint the whole city as some kind of war zone? Laughable. I don't particularly like Memphis, it has it's share of problems. But like a lot of other cities of any size it has some very good areas, some working class areas, and ghettos, and everything in between.

Old 09-19-2009, 03:25 PM

1,098 posts, read 3,110,072 times
A lot of people really enjoy Memphis. Downtown, Mud Island, and Midtown have lots of character. East Memphis, Germantown, Collierville, and of late, DeSoto County, Mississippi are nice suburban areas. You can easily live well in Memphis without feeling unsafe. There is some truth in the article about the unsafe areas, but unsafe neighborhoods are pretty much the same everywhere.

Old 09-19-2009, 05:11 PM

2,319 posts, read 4,803,752 times
I was 21 (and I'm a female) when I lived in Arlington and went to grad school at the University. I was never scared, never attacked, and had no problems. Memphis is a great city. Sure, there are problems, just like everywhere else.

Old 09-30-2009, 11:15 AM

4,395 posts, read 4,911,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnoliadub View Post
Memphis in May, Beale Street, You gotta be straped with a big gun.
Both the MiM concerts and nightly on Beale have metal detectors that you must pass through. If you are legally (or illegally) carrying a weapon you will not be allowed in. This is also true in many Memphis restaurants that aren't on Beale like Huey's. Because of this I have an extensive list of places I do not frequent.

By the way, Huey's in Southaven does not have any signs prohibiting guns.

Old 10-29-2009, 11:14 PM

1 posts, read 3,223 times
Memphis is that bad!!! Just watch the "First 48" on T.V. Very dangerous if you do not know where you are going.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi