Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2009, 01:22 PM

2,975 posts, read 8,090,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneJackson View Post
Maybe they want change in a place that's buried is the same "old" ways.
I am from Scotland (my fiance moved here for a better life, he is a MS native) which is a very progressive and great country, with very friendly and open minded people (we're known for it worldwide) but I know MS has its problems too, like everywhere else, I know that but people on CD do not need to be constantly reminded of the same old news, its like beating a dead horse. There are people that will actually do something to help their state/country then there's the whingers that are all talk, no action.

We know MS has alot of poverty, there is racism issues and corruption.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2009, 01:25 PM
NWS

720 posts, read 1,640,152 times
Quote:
Ok let's be honest here people, Mississippi it NOT happy be no stretch of the imagination. and Those that think so are in a delusional state of mind. Now, I love Mississippi, I was born and raised in Jackson and I can't say I was ever "happy" about how I lived in Mississippi with all the ignorance and racism, but I was "happy" that I was at least alive.
but that's all some people in Mississippi want... ...nothing...and that makes them "happy" ..
not me. I need more than that.

I think people who bash Mississippi are validated in their bashing and it's actually the people of Mississippi that need to realize that "Mississippi, WE HAVE A PROBLEM" ...and get to the business of fixing it so you won't feel ashamed and slighted when somebody throws a hurtful remark at our state. it just shows that they are right when you get all mad about people bashing Mississippi.

Truth Hurts.
OneJackson have you been to a place that you felt was night and day better than Mississippi?

Old 12-22-2009, 08:57 PM

1,098 posts, read 3,094,019 times
There are nearly 30 states that have about the same or more people below the official poverty line as Mississippi. Yes, there's a problem. But why harp on it as if Mississippi is the only state? And frankly, if you look at it from the perspective of how much poverty you encounter as you move around the state, the concentration of poverty is much higher and more noticable in places like New York (Bronx, Brooklyn, Harlem), New Jersey, Southern California, South Florida, Michigan, Ohio, etc. Just read their threads on this website and see for yourself.

Notice the progress in Mississippi in places like the Columbus-Starkville airport. Drive and see the line-up of industries, including the huge Russian Severstall steel plant, and an array of companies building aerospace products and truck engines. Go to Olive Branch and see the huge Fed Ex distribution center. Go to Oxford and see the amazing growth there. Go to Flowood and to Highway 98 west of Hattiesburg. See the threads by people on the Coast who almost universally love living there. And have you been to nice towns like Brookhaven, Hernando,Tupelo, and Corinth? With today's technology, people can live in small towns and enjoy many of the benefits of living in a city.

If you look at Mississippi's unemployment rate, it's now below the national average despite being nearly twice as rural as the country as a whole, as Mississippi is reaping the benefits of pro-business policies such as the tort reform laws passed in 2004 to protect business owners and professionals, plus low corporate tax rates, affordable land and pro-business local governments.

Old 12-23-2009, 08:28 AM

809 posts, read 1,855,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWS View Post
OneJackson have you been to a place that you felt was night and day better than Mississippi?
I've been to quite a few places that are night and day better than Mississippi in terms of quality of life. and that's the issue here. How can a state be noted as "happy" when it has nothing to be happy about?

If you polled those who've lived sweet lives over the last 300 years in Mississippi then yes "Happy" is a fitting term for the review. but that's just a half-truth and it doesn't encompass what the average Joe Mississippi really feels, which IMO, is not happy but more disappointment. this is why Mississippi(Jackson in particular) has a lot of flight to other cities and countries.

Old 12-23-2009, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brickpatio View Post
There are nearly 30 states that have about the same or more people below the official poverty line as Mississippi. Yes, there's a problem. But why harp on it as if Mississippi is the only state?
First and foremost it's not harping. it's a 'pointing out of OUR issues" so we can fix them collectively and leaving every other state alone to handle THEIR issues. this is what makes this country great and why you have some states attract more people to live there than others. if you don't know what the problem is you can't fix it, so I'm all for 'pointing it out'..

Quote:
Notice the progress in Mississippi in places like the Columbus-Starkville airport. Drive and see the line-up of industries, including the huge Russian Severstall steel plant, and an array of companies building aerospace products and truck engines. Go to Olive Branch and see the huge Fed Ex distribution center. Go to Oxford and see the amazing growth there. Go to Flowood and to Highway 98 west of Hattiesburg. See the threads by people on the Coast who almost universally love living there. And have you been to nice towns like Brookhaven, Hernando,Tupelo, and Corinth? With today's technology, people can live in small towns and enjoy many of the benefits of living in a city.
and this took how long to get done? my guess is 20 years...j/k but yes, these things are great but the rate in which Mississippi moves to get things up and running is like watching paint dry. a 3rd grader would be a senior in high school before a new park is built in his town. it's riduclous.

Quote:
If you look at Mississippi's unemployment rate, it's now below the national average despite being nearly twice as rural as the country as a whole, as Mississippi is reaping the benefits of pro-business policies such as the tort reform laws passed in 2004 to protect business owners and professionals, plus low corporate tax rates, affordable land and pro-business local governments.
When there's not enough jobs to begin with I could see how this analogy would make sense.

Old 12-23-2009, 11:07 AM
NWS

720 posts, read 1,640,152 times
Quote:
I've been to quite a few places that are night and day better than Mississippi in terms of quality of life. and that's the issue here. How can a state be noted as "happy" when it has nothing to be happy about? .....
That's not a responsive answer.
It's easy to bash any state you want to for one reason or another.
There are no perfect states for everyone.
People can live in a cardboard refrigerator box and be happy.
How can you decide whether someone should be happy?
How you you tell someone they have nothing to be happy about?
Mississippi has plenty to be happy about.
I moved here from a city of materialistic zombies (NYC) and I have no regrets.
I've never been happier.

Old 12-23-2009, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWS View Post
That's not a responsive answer.
It's easy to bash any state you want to for one reason or another.
There are no perfect states for everyone.
People can live in a cardboard refrigerator box and be happy.
How can you decide whether someone should be happy?
How you you tell someone they have nothing to be happy about?
Mississippi has plenty to be happy about.
I moved here from a city of materialistic zombies (NYC) and I have no regrets.
I've never been happier.
That's exactly what I'm saying here. how can that article make a gross generalization and determine if the whole of Mississippi is a "happy" state?
how many people did it poll?
was it a fair polling across the board?
did it poll transplants or lifers?
what questions did they ask in the poll to determine one's "happiness"?

Not to mention the article was written prior to hurricane Katrina and Louisiana was #1?...lol..some states I consider "happy" aren't even on the list. ok who wrote that article?????

and you are correct, we're all "happy" in various ways for various reasons. And that's beautiful that you're happy, evident by your unhappiness to where you once were and that's awesome. but as a lifelong resident of Mississippi I think that article was written by some jaded transplant at best who generalized the "happy" factor and painted with a broad happy brush at the same time.

Old 12-23-2009, 10:59 PM

235 posts, read 769,198 times
OneJackson sounds like we are in the same boat.I'm not going to fight over the soap box!!

Old 12-24-2009, 03:48 AM

14,268 posts, read 18,825,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MORPHEUS311 View Post
I can't help but find it ironic that many of these "happiest" states are in the south. As I personally consider bible belt folks happier, there is also a suprising amount of violence in the south.

It's like... we are happy but will still shoot you.
http://bestsmileys.com/lol/6.gif (broken link)

Old 12-24-2009, 01:30 PM

105 posts, read 272,257 times
I have lived in northern Mississippi for over 35 years & find for the most part the people I know are friendly folks & most seem happy with their life.
I seldom hear derogatory remarks about race & certainly have not seen a slave in all the years I have been here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi