Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2010, 08:53 AM

1,008 posts, read 3,378,140 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneJackson View Post
She is right.

Let me ask you jhadorn.... when you were in your 20's, what did you do and where did you go for "Fun" in Jackson? there is NO singles life scene to speak of since I've been alive, So I'm very curious as to what you did to get through your 20's? I remember you stating your wife is from Belize so that could be telling.....

Well, I'll tell you what I did, I spent my money in OTHER STATES to have "Fun"...Mississippi lost out on my taxes dollars. all because they wanted to suffocate my QOL but I couldn't allow that to happen....see my point here?

Mississippi has sucked for years in every way, I'll just put it out there. but I've worked tirelessly to try and change that but as I see STILL in 2010, the people of Jackson(and the rest of Mississippi for that matter), don't want nothing. but they LOVE to play victim and collect welfare from the Government.

I'm realizing I'm more like GrandviewGloira. I thought for years that I didn't belong here in Mississippi too. thiniking too big for my peers. I think I needs to start taking some cues from those who've realized what I should've realized years ago....

The other pastures are greener, If you're from Mississippi.

^looks like a slogan for a t-shirt...damn
One big reason why there are not as many entertainment venues here in Mississippi is because the majority of the population is conservative and they do their damndest to save their money rather than spend it. There are people in Mississippi who still bury their cash in a jar in the backyard. You have to either change these habits that plague Mississippi or you have to convince the entertainment industry that there are Mississippians that will spend money at their venues.

I'm curious as to why you think there's "NO singles life" in Jackson. Are you implying that no couple has ever met in Jackson?

It sounds like you're really into entertainment - have you done any research on the Farish Street Entertainment District [which is under construction as we speak]? How about the Downtown River Walk concept? Have you ever attended any of the arts or film festivals that occur in Jackson? Do you like the outdoors and water sports? Do you like live music? Do you enjoy shopping?

Old 01-21-2010, 08:56 AM

Quote:
VOTE = SCRAP TWO LAKES AND BUILD A 6FLAGS RIGHT THERE!!!!!
You want the Six Flags to be built in a flood plain?

Old 01-21-2010, 09:06 AM
NCN

21,656 posts, read 25,488,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MitchArk87 View Post
I have distant family living in Mississippi. Like everywhere else, MS has both its own good and bad points. However, some places get bashed more than others. For an example, Chicago and several northern cities had bloody racist riots and still has one of the highest crime rates in the country; however, people tend to overlook those because Chicago itself is very well-known, global city with job opportunties, diversifying economy, and top-notch Northwestern University.

I'm not saying that Chicago is better than MS; you have to admit that MS greatly pales in comparsion to Chicago so people do not take MS seriously. For those people who never visit MS, all they know about MS is what happened in history books with Civil Rights, Philadelphia murders of three young men, Freedom Bus Ride to Jackson, and KKK activities along with the landslide victory from 2000 election to keep the racist state flag. I understand why MS is perhaps one of the states with bad reputation even though I don't agree with what people said about MS. They are just stereotypes. However, I still think MS could have move forward more quickly than the slow progress the state is experiencing right now while being more open to new changes. That's my only complaint.
Well this is one person who would never want to go to Chicago for any reason and certainly does not hold a higher opinion of Chicago than any Southern state. And what on earth is a racist state flag? People like you are probably the reason Mississippi has a bad reputation. You don't agree with the stereotypes, but boy you can spout them out. It is not just Mississippi, many people on these threads tend to think it is all right to bad mouth anything in our Southern history. If I can remember correctly, Mississippi is the state with the happiest people. Maybe the problem in the other states is they moved too fast without thinking it through and got themselves in a mess.

Old 01-21-2010, 09:08 AM

1,112 posts, read 2,568,940 times
Quote:
She is right.

Let me ask you jhadorn.... when you were in your 20's, what did you do and where did you go for "Fun" in Jackson? there is NO singles life scene to speak of since I've been alive, So I'm very curious as to what you did to get through your 20's? I remember you stating your wife is from Belize so that could be telling.....

Well, I'll tell you what I did, I spent my money in OTHER STATES to have "Fun"...Mississippi lost out on my taxes dollars. all because they wanted to suffocate my QOL but I couldn't allow that to happen....see my point here?

Mississippi has sucked for years in every way, I'll just put it out there. but I've worked tirelessly to try and change that but as I see STILL in 2010, the people of Jackson(and the rest of Mississippi for that matter), don't want nothing. but they LOVE to complain about what they "can't" do as a city, play victim as a people and collect welfare from the Government.

I'm realizing I'm more like GrandviewGloira. I thought for years that I didn't belong here in Mississippi too. Thinking too big for my peers. I think I needs to start taking some cues from those who've realized what I should've realized years ago....

The other pastures are greener, If you're from Mississippi.

^looks like a slogan for a t-shirt...damn
I'm not sure why you assume I didn't meet my wife in Mississippi. She came to Mississippi when she was 18 years old to attend Mississippi State.

I'm sure you spend money outside of Mississippi, and so do we. I'm not ignorant to what's out there in the rest of the world, but i'm happy living here. I am comfortable around most any type of person, as long as they are good people. I don't look down on anyone.

Sure, there are some lazy, welfare people here as there are in all states, but I can tell you there are some extremely intelligent people here too.

Rule of thumb, anyone who tells you a place is perfect is BS, and anyone who tells you a place sucks in every way is BS. The truth is somewhere in between.

Old 01-21-2010, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhadorn View Post
Rule of thumb, anyone who tells you a place is perfect is BS, and anyone who tells you a place sucks in every way is BS. The truth is somewhere in between.
+1

Old 01-21-2010, 09:33 AM

1,112 posts, read 2,568,940 times
OneJackson, you say you want to help Mississippi, but your thought process is actually what's killing Mississippi. Some Mississippians buy into what the media and people from other states say about Mississippi. The intelligent people, the ones who would make a real difference feel like they have to leave Mississippi.

If you really want to help Mississippi don't say it sucks in every way and badmouth, say what it COULD be if people stuck around to make it better.

Old 01-21-2010, 09:41 AM

809 posts, read 1,854,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksonian View Post
One big reason why there are not as many entertainment venues here in Mississippi is because the majority of the population is conservative and they do their damndest to save their money rather than spend it. There are people in Mississippi who still bury their cash in a jar in the backyard. You have to either change these habits that plague Mississippi or you have to convince the entertainment industry that there are Mississippians that will spend money at their venues.
a lot of them also like to smother those voices to keep it status quo too. they run the radio and TV stations. so they control the flow of info in and out..

Quote:
I'm curious as to why you think there's "NO singles life" in Jackson. Are you implying that no couple has ever met in Jackson?
No, i'm sayin, there's no bars, lounges or places where singles can go to have fun and mingle and enjoy the nightlife in Jackson. most of the places are scattered about with a definite division in "flavors". if you know what I mean. Hal & Mal's is for older fogey's, etc..nothing for 20somethings

for example: I went to Austin to visit a friend. they have an entire section of downtown dedicated to bars, lounges and places to mingle. so does Atlanta and even Nashville. Jackson is a joke that's not funny anymore.

Quote:
It sounds like you're really into entertainment - have you done any research on the Farish Street Entertainment District [which is under construction as we speak]? How about the Downtown River Walk concept? Have you ever attended any of the arts or film festivals that occur in Jackson? Do you like the outdoors and water sports? Do you like live music? Do you enjoy shopping?
I'm into alot of thing and I've done those things, but I do enjoy hanging out with friends at Sportsbars(Jackson finally got one) and family fun and entertainment. and yes, I've reaserch the FSD. I'm part of one of the familys' who they negotiated with to get the land to do it. So you should thank me and family for coming on board with helping the progress of Jackson.

I'm a Mississippi boy by heart. and I love the outdoors but it's only so much hunting, fishing a man can do. I got varied tastes. I got a jet ski...I like strip clubs, live music, concerts, travelling and THEMEPARKS..LOL

Last edited by OneJackson; 01-21-2010 at 10:02 AM..

Old 01-21-2010, 10:08 AM

Quote:
a lot of them also like to smother those voices to keep it status quo too. they run the radio and TV stations. so thye control the flow of info in and out..
So what is your solution? Do you convince the entertainment industry to come or do you convince the citizens of Mississippi to start spending more money, both of which are in the midst of a fragile economy.

Quote:
No, i'm sayin, there's no bars, lounges or places where singles can go to have fun and mingle and enjoy the nightlife in Jackson. most of the places are scattered about with a definite division in "flavors". if you know what I mean. Hal & Mal's is for older fogey's, etc..nothing for 20somethings
It sounds like you need to go out more often. There are a ton of bars in the Jackson area, including but not limited to:
Fenian's
Ole Tavern
Pi(e)
Hal & Mal's
Underground 119
Tye's
the Bulldog
Time Out Sports Bar
Buffalo Wild Wings
McB's
Alumni House
Locker Room
Electric Cowboy
Touch
F. Jones Corner
930 Blues Cafe
Fire
Dick & Jane's
Sportsman's Lodge
Julep
Last Call
Cherokee Inn
Freelon's

Quote:
for example: I went to Austin to visit a friend. they have an entire section of downtown dedicated to bars, lounges and places to mingle. so does Atlanta and even Nashville. Jackson is a joke that's not funny anymore.
I've been to Austin and checked out their bar scene as well, and yes they have more bars because their metro is home to 1.6 MILLION PEOPLE. That's over HALF of Mississippi's population in one metro area. Have you ever heard of a thing called the "Market?" That's what determines viability and projections, and if the numbers don't add up on paper, then the banks aren't going to lend the money - plain and simple. And I don't know if you've tried obtaining a business loan lately or not, but it's pretty difficult now compared to 2 years ago.

Quote:
I'm into alot of thing and I've done those things, but I do enjoy hanging out with friends at Sportsbars(Jackson finally got one) and family fun and entertainment.
Jackson has had sports bars for years.

Quote:
and yes, I've reaserch the FSD. I'm part of one of the familys' who they negotiated with to get the land to do it. So you should thank me and family for coming on board with helping the progress of Jackson.
Then why haven't you said a word about it? If you're so intrigued with entertainment, why haven't you said a peep about the biggest entertainment project that is already underway in Jackson?

Quote:
I'm a Mississippi boy by heart. and I love the outdoors but it's only so much hunting, fishing a man can do. I got varied tastes. I got a jet ski...I like strip clubs, live music, concerts, travelling and THEMEPARKS..LOL
There's more to outdoors than just hunting and fishing. You should ask your friend in Austin what they do for fun in the outdoors. I bet he/she will mention biking, disc golf, and/or outdoor music festivals... all of which you can also find in Jackson.

Old 01-21-2010, 11:13 AM

809 posts, read 1,854,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksonian View Post
You want the Six Flags to be built in a flood plain?
Let's be honest. when was the Last time a flood hit downtown Jackson? I'm not talking a little water on the street. I'm talking cars underwater?

the Levee can be reinforced if need be with concrete if we have to.

Also it's a great place to put it since most of the traffic passing through actually "sees" Jackson

Two Lakes is wanting shops, parks and lofts. but you think those are good for a flood plain?

Old 01-21-2010, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Let's be honest. when was the Last time a flood hit downtown Jackson? I'm not talking a little water on the street. I'm talking cars underwater?
Ay yi yi...

The last time a MAJOR flood hit Downtown was 1979... just 30 years ago [which in nature, is a very short length of time]. Cars under water? How about BUILDINGS under water:

Quote:
the Levee can be reinforced if need be with concrete if we have to.
I'm not even sure how to respond to your comment about adding concrete to the levees... do you think there are levees in place currently that exist on both sides of the Pearl River the whole length of Jackson? If so, then you are sadly mistaken. I suggest you do some more research on the Two Lakes Plan vs. the Levees Plan. You can start here:
159 JFP articles covering the story (http://www.jacksonfreepress.com/index.php/results/?cx=partner-pub-5414712762025445%3Aat609fdt6d2&cof=FORID%3A10&ie=I SO-8859-1&q=two+lakes&sa=Search+the+JFP&siteurl=www.jackso nfreepress.com%2F#1137 - broken link)

Quote:
Two Lakes is wanting shops, parks and lofts. but you think those are good for a flood plain?
As for the Two Lakes plan, it's a lake... you know... where WATER goes [ie, capable of controlling flow control with dams, pumps, etc]. Last time I checked, Six Flags was not in the flood control business... but what do I know?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi