Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2007, 05:11 PM

3,927 posts, read 8,668,096 times

Advertisements

It is starting to hit me that this school year is winding down very quickly.
My soon to be 14 year old will have all types of plans for summer fun, most of them meaning I get to drive him hither and yon.

What fun activities do your children do for fun during the summer? Oh, and I hope to see some that are way inexpensive.

Maybe I can surprise him with suggestions this year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2007, 12:42 PM

Come on guys. I see you are reading my posts. I am so serious here.

I work from home and I REALLY need to have some ideas ready for him when school lets out. Otherwise he will not let me get any work done.

Help me out here. PLEASE.....with sugar on top.

Old 05-15-2007, 03:38 PM

615 posts, read 1,375,165 times
Talking Woodall Mountain (806 ft.) is the highest point of Mississippi

Quote:
Originally Posted by aiangel_writer View Post
It is starting to hit me that this school year is winding down very quickly.
My soon to be 14 year old will have all types of plans for summer fun, most of them meaning I get to drive him hither and yon.

What fun activities do your children do for fun during the summer? Oh, and I hope to see some that are way inexpensive.

Maybe I can surprise him with suggestions this year.
I see from your profile that you live in northeastern Mississippi. Why not consider a visit to Woodall Mountain (broken link) (806 feet), the highest point of Mississippi?

Old 05-15-2007, 03:42 PM

2,267 posts, read 3,298,039 times
Not too beat a dead horse but this is why I LOVE living in Florida...My daughter and I will be going to the beach which is about 45 minutes from us, we have a pool in our development AND we will be spending alot of time at the waterparks at Disney.

My daughter is also going to take tennis lessons and some snorkeling classes. I am encouraging her to consider a week at a sleep over camp but at 10 she has never done this and I am not going to push her.

I think the MOST fun part is going to the beach, I drag along everything but the kitchen sink, I have lounge chairs, ice chest, we make our own pic nic lunch, we spend the entire day playing, collecting what little shells we find on the East Coast.

Old 05-15-2007, 05:22 PM

Great ideas guys. Woodall Mt. why didn't I think of that, I went there as a teen myself.

We are going to the beach during July. I am visiting my oldest and we are staying for a week.

But, I could put him in swimming lessons in a nearby town, his granny loves to do things for him and could help me take him and pick him up, also, he is on a summer league ball team, but we might consider bowling or golf lessons since both are offered at school.

See, when people submit ideas, it gets the brain juices flowing which naturally leads to other ideas.

Thanks bunches guys.

One happy mom.

Old 05-16-2007, 12:13 AM

275 posts, read 1,125,290 times
Not to sound like I don't like So.MS Beach's, but I would do a overnighter to Pensicola, go to the navy aviation museum, lots of planes, displays, ect.
Eat at McGuires Irish Pub, (best burgers and steaks) then ride to Navarre Beach.
they have the whitest squeekey sand (squeeks when you walk barefoot)
just be carefull of Rip tides, water is deep, unlike Gulfcoast.

We do it at least 2 times a year!, but i bring my boat and go fishing in destin too.

Avoid Panama City Beach, too crowded, and you can't see past the condos.

Just my $.02

Old 05-17-2007, 08:29 PM

59 posts, read 243,864 times
Golf is a great idea. Be careful though - I have found it to be the most expensive sport I have ever played. Country Club membership - $275 a month. Clubs and bag - $2,500. Lessons - etc. I of course can not speak for your kids, but I also love the game of baseball, and I am sure there are summer leagues forming this time of the year.

Old 05-17-2007, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beamseight View Post
Golf is a great idea. Be careful though - I have found it to be the most expensive sport I have ever played. Country Club membership - $275 a month. Clubs and bag - $2,500. Lessons - etc. I of course can not speak for your kids, but I also love the game of baseball, and I am sure there are summer leagues forming this time of the year.
Oh, that is a given each year. He has been playing on his current summer league for about 4 weeks now. It was hard because he was also on junior varsity and their season was extended due to them playing for state championships. That series of games was last weekend and unfortunately, they lost. But, this is a rebuilding year for them and they will be back next year.

I just wanted something for him besides baseball, which he breathes, eats and sleeps.

Golf sounds very expensive, I do not know if I could afford that. I usually spend around $1000 on him per summer with baseball as it is.

Old 05-17-2007, 11:17 PM

59 posts, read 243,864 times
Default MS Braves

You might consider taking him to a Mississippi Braves game. The stadium is new and located in Pearl, MS. If he enjoys professional baseball, and more specifically the Atlanta Braves, Jeff Francoeur and Brian McCann both went to the pro's from the Mississippi Braves team. Or even better - help arrange for his entire baseball team to take a trip to see the MS Braves. There is without a doubt a baseball fanatic parent that would jump at the chance to chaperon the trip. There are 54 home games remaining in their season.

Old 05-17-2007, 11:50 PM

I was planning that one. My son is on his junior varsity team but goes everywhere varsity goes. They were in Jackson last week playing for 2A state championship. They ended up runners up but had a blast.

They went to one of the games and he loved it. Chase Porch, a pitcher who graduated from our school last year got selected by the Braves. He decided to go to school in meridian first, but with all the hype of the braves, the kids lived it up there last weekend.

I could take them to another one. That is a thought.

Hey, are you from Jackson? I have to be in Jackson Monday and Tuesday and would love some recommendations for hotels that are nice in the area, away from the bad side of Jackson and prefer the Southern part .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi