Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2010, 09:45 AM

3 posts, read 12,040 times

Advertisements

i have lived in the midwest and spend a good bit of time in arizona but i moved from just outside of chicago 25 years ago at the age of 21 and love living in caledonia ms i love to visit arizona and illinois but mississippi is where i call home and have no desire to leave i dont like big city living or the traffic of the big city and where i live we have a crime rate of about 0 unlike chicago and last time i visited arizona i stayed with my best friend of over 40 years in his 1.5 mil home in cave creek and we went to dinner and came back and walked in the house for a few and when we came back out someone had stolen his bike out of his garage he was shocked that in the place he lived someone would walk in his garage and steel something i have a corvette that sits in my driveway every day and night with the keys in it when i go to the store i sometimes leave them in it and i have never had anything stolen maybe im lucky or just maybe living in a small town in mississippi folks just know that stealing is not a moral thing to do and were raised with a bit more values then in other city's or states as always said home is were you make it and i have found a great place to make a home any were you go has down falls but you just adjust to them and i have adjusted well and have meet many good friends and have enjoyed all 25 years here and dont miss the winters of the midwest and enjoy the great hunting fishing and outdoors here and could live anywhere i want but this is home and ill stay here
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2010, 08:57 PM

333 posts, read 1,154,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brickpatio View Post
Corinth,
Lol. Corinth. Charming. Riiight

Me personally, I think Mississippi seriously gets a bad rap because of it's "racist past"; but it doesn't seem very deserved. There's still some segregation and quite a few rednecks but all in all, going through Tennessee and Kentucky was a much different experience. At least people in Mississippi have actual houses and not just shacks built out of wood paneling and stray glass.

I took a trip to Mississippi expecting possibly the worst, and was pleasantly surprised. While it's obvious it's still a southern state, it truely seems like it would be somewhere that has a good future in store for it.

Old 08-24-2010, 08:10 PM

4 posts, read 8,979 times
Default Moving to MS

Desoto County is a great place to live in MS. It is just across the stateline from Memphis. As a realtor, Desoto County has some great deals on real estate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotslass View Post
Here is my take on MS from an outside perspective, I have been to other states before and many have the same issues as MS. We do not live in a perfect world.

I will be moving from Scotland to MS once I get my BS in nursing. MS has its own unique characteristics, I like rural living/countryside. Being raised in a village I can adjust no problem but I do live close to Glasgow. However Its all down to ones personal preference.

MS has a much better climate than Scotland, our climate is moderate with mild summers and cold winters which is something I cannot adjust to. The climate in MS suits us both as far as outdoors living is concerned etc.

Hunting: We're avid hunters so with the vast abundance of whitetails there we are spoiled. I will miss our roe, red, sika and fallow deer. Not to mention other species but on the plus side I can bow hunt there.

Cost of living: Cost of living is far lower than here, housing especially. A decent house here would cost $300,000. Mind you our homes are historic (most of them) they're also well built with solid brick though American homes appeal to me as they're very different and charming.

Terrain: Scotland wins by far with the highlands mountainous region with vast valleys, ancient pine forests, lakes and green rolling hills but MS is still pretty though I am not used to such flat land....not a big issue though.

Overall I love both but each has its pros and cons there is no doubt about that. For people to completely think that they're state is perfect then they have to have a wake up call.

I will still visit my parents back in the motherland but they can also visit us here so there are good points to moving to another country

Old 09-13-2010, 11:51 AM

82 posts, read 235,591 times
I visited Oxford last November and I loved it. Granted, it's a college town so maybe it has a different atmosphere than other parts of the state. I stayed in Batesville and actually drove to Oxford from ATL so I saw not only AL, but also other parts of MS. I loved everything about it and am dying to go back. In my mind I like the small town feel and the beautiful old southern charm. I'm dying to go back. My dad grew up in Pass Christian and hearing him talk about made we want to visit. I haven't made it to the Gulf area yet, but I hope to get there someday soon.

Old 09-13-2010, 02:02 PM

1,354 posts, read 4,089,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffery.2 View Post
we have a crime rate of about 0 unlike chicago and last time i visited arizona i stayed with my best friend of over 40 years in his 1.5 mil home in cave creek and we went to dinner and came back and walked in the house for a few and when we came back out someone had stolen his bike out of his garage he was shocked that in the place he lived someone would walk in his garage and steel something i have a corvette that sits in my driveway every day and night with the keys in it when i go to the store i sometimes leave them in it and i have never had anything stolen maybe im lucky or just maybe living in a small town in mississippi folks just know that stealing is not a moral thing to do and were raised with a bit more values then in other city's or states...
I think this is more small town than what state you live in. I lived in a big city for years and only had a minor incident while in Mississippi I have had bikes stolen, apartment burgled, and vandalism.

Old 09-17-2010, 03:19 PM

1,112 posts, read 2,583,453 times
It depends on where you live in Mississippi. There is little theft in some areas and much more in others. For example, I know people who live in Clarksdale who tell me they have to literally chain their belongings or bring them inside so they don't get stolen. In some communites meth is more common and meth addicts steal to support their habit.

I have been a victim of theft, and also a break-in, however, we had an alarm so as soon as the burglar opened the door he left and nothing was taken. Both incidences were in different towns.

Old 09-17-2010, 07:28 PM

213 posts, read 404,014 times
Mississippi is IMO one of the most under-appreciated and under-rated states in the union. Sure it has an ugly past, but has made great strides to get beyond that (and how many other states all over this country have something ugly in their pasts?) I really get irked when people hold the state up as an example of everything horrible.

No, I don't live there but have passed through and visited several times. I've always found the people there charming and friendly. The understated flat countryside with those southern forests has a special kind of beauty.

The state has some unsung treasures. I have visited Civil War battle sites and museums all over the East and South. And the Civil War Interpretive Center in Corinth is one of the best. I have visited beaches on the West Coast, the East Coast and the Gulf Coast. And for me the Gulf Coast beaches (in Mississippi, Alabama, and Florida) are the most beautiful (though I haven't visited them since the disastrous oil spill).

And Mississippi is truly the home of the blues, a unique American art form. The state has a rich and fascinating musical heritage. One goal I have is to get back there and explore this part of the state's culture.

Maybe I'm prejudiced because we got our Great Pyrenees rescue from the Biloxi/Gulfport area. We call him our "Mississippi boy." There is a wonderful Animal Planet seried called "Last Chance Highway" about this saintly Mississippi lady who devotes her life to rescuing homeless dogs in the South and finding homes for them in the East and North. For dog lovers, it will have you in tears.

Anyway, just my brief two cents worth on a state I think needs to be more appreciated.

Old 09-18-2010, 12:29 PM

18 posts, read 97,874 times
I agree, the Mississippi gulf coast has alot to offer for entertainment, food, fishing and more.

Old 09-24-2010, 01:17 PM

5 posts, read 16,324 times
I do not live in MS anymore but I visit my native state 2-3 a year for 8-10 day lengths. I lived in TN and GA briefly and currently been in beautiful South Carolina for 5 years. I've traveled extensively through-out the south and other parts of the US (mainly the NE and NV,CA) Over all, the 'rural south' is no different, no matter the state. Standing and looking at people/stores/...etc... in a small town in AR isn't any different than a small twn in GA. Some exceptions are made regarding accents and percentage of races. For example, there is going to be a DEEP country 'mountain' type of accent in certain parts of east TN, west NC and WV v/s an accent you would hear in parts of Charleston,SC and Savannah,GA ....but honestly, as a general rule, the rural small town south doesn't significantly differ from one state to the next. Most people in theses area have the same views, diets, income levels, values....etc...The 'differences', if even considered major, should be compared regional wise v/s state lines. While growing up in a state that had a HUGE image problem; furthermore, the constant negative info pounded in my subconscious brain--that came from a broad variety of sources-- about Mississippi, it's no surprise that when I moved away, I naively assumed the 'grass was greener on the other side', (or 'state-line', if you will) I've come to realize such is not the case. While currently living in an area 75% of the population are transplants, most of my friends and cohorts come from the same NE (mainly NJ,NY,MA and PA) mentality/way of living/attitudes/....etc...., which I consider a good thing b/c, though many ways the same, I appreciate the differences in them and myself. There is something to be said about we are all a 'product of our environment' but not to be taken to extent. Common question in this town is, "Where are you from". When I get asked that, i saw 'Mississippi' with much much pride, as anyone should be proud from where they come/reared. Typical reaction I get is, "MissiSIPi??, not always, but usually followed by positive, yet general comments/questions: "wow, neat", "what's it like to be from there', 'I've never met anyone from MS before', sometimes comments Katrina or oil spill related....and I find many people want to 'educate' themselves about MS, so I'm the one to ask...I always mention, or exaggerate, the fact MS is born to SOOO many famous people/legends. As a matter of fact, one individual whom not even from MS, pointed out that, through out time, MS has more famous people per-capita than any other state. He went on to say that, Mississippi's biggest export is 'talent'....But back to original topic, Why Mississippi? Why not??

Old 11-21-2010, 01:03 PM

17 posts, read 33,500 times
i live in mississippi.. and am desperately trying to get back to my home state of Pennsylvania=i live on the Gulf Caost .
it seesm so dirty here.
the beach everyone talks about .. is Always dirty looking=i walk on it for execise but it has looked dirty from day one long before the oil spill
Health care is behind the times here and low quality
there are not many systems in place to help low income folks
the overwhelming fundamentalist Chrisitian churches =-soi many =i have neevr seen so many anywhere
really exert presssure on attitudes = its a very homophobic place
there is not much in the way of culture =
the lack of cities is partly to blame i suppose
in the northeast i was able to easily be out inthe deep country and just as easily turn around and be in a city with lots to do and easy to get to NYC =Philly= Baltimore...
yet i lived very close to the Amish country side
there was also lots of nature related things to do in PA as well hunting fishing etc.,
lots of old history there
also the bugs here are definitie ly a hazrd to do with =noit just a nuisance
there are fire ant that can really hurt you and your pet
ther mosquites are the worst i have seen anywhere they even bite my dog which i have nebver had tio deal with anywhere
here there are many deadly spiders=seriously deadly
snakes that are poisonous that come into yards
most poiusonious sankes up in Pa saty out away from peoiple
not so here
people here are very behind the times
many dont vaccinate ther animals and strays running loose are a big problem
i think people stay here because they are born here and dont have the where with all to leave but i cannot imagine anyone choosing to live here yes thbe were devatstaed here by Katina but it has now been five years and things should have at least been cleaned up beter the people just dont seem to care.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi