Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2010, 12:55 PM

17 posts, read 33,500 times

Advertisements

i dont live in Gulfport
much of my mothers family moved to there from Clermont harbor. and yes PA get cold
but that cold has a blessing it keeps flea/mosquito populations in check.
i wouldnt call what ik said about grass as RAILING..
just that i ahve noticed that its difficult to enjoy walking my little dog when he yelps and stops because of things stuck in his feet.
winter in PA is always dreary =and im not sure why anyuone would think so=i got out more ion Pa in the winter time than i did here inthe summer with its killing heat.
and its not as though it doesnt get cvold here-if it didnt =it wouild m ake up for the swelteringheat but it DOES get cold here and the temperature can be listed as higher than PA but feels as cold because of the incessant dampness
as i have said before
i realize Mississippi is the poorest state in the union
and also there are many sweet kind compassionate people here=lovely folks who will (as my mother used to say) gladly "bid you the time of day" and much more so than folks inthe North.
but i have aslo seen sucha resistance to change and some scary attitudes
as if SOME folks feel "we ALWAYS DID IT THIS WAY=and we arent gonna change" even when it is for their own benefit such as in health care=building in areas that are hurricame prone, and putting money into over budgetted town improvements instead of beter schools..even local folks i have spoken to agree...
it is an area much loved by natives =of this iam certainand god bless them
one of the things i will not understand is being able to live ina hujrricane prone area=without being anervoujs wreck aboujt it of course that may be colored by the fact that myh cousin drowned inhis wheelchair in Lakeeshore ,Mississippi =or that i have four cousins who lost their homes and everyhting in them
as far as helping with cleanup it doesnt seem to be that cleaup is necessary=its seems that some forced removal of abandoned buildings is inporder and thats needs a bulldozer not apai of hands
when katina happened i organized a huge benfoiitt concert inmy area and raised 8000 dollars in one afternoon==and mananged to get coverage from 3 tv stations in PA
and the help of a well known Cajun restaurant in the area=
i aslo worked with county fire departmentsts on sending TRUCKLOADS of clothes here/
so i have tried to help i still do i am eligible folr better hosuing but live ina house that was abandone during Katrina ..because there are families that need it more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2010, 01:07 PM

1,354 posts, read 4,089,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancastriangal View Post
i dont live in Gulfport
much of my mothers family moved to there from Clermont harbor. and yes PA get cold
but that cold has a blessing it keeps flea/mosquito populations in check.
i wouldnt call what ik said about grass as RAILING..
just that i ahve noticed that its difficult to enjoy walking my little dog when he yelps and stops because of things stuck in his feet.
winter in PA is always dreary =and im not sure why anyuone would think so=i got out more ion Pa in the winter time than i did here inthe summer with its killing heat.
and its not as though it doesnt get cvold here-if it didnt =it wouild m ake up for the swelteringheat but it DOES get cold here and the temperature can be listed as higher than PA but feels as cold because of the incessant dampness
as i have said before
i realize Mississippi is the poorest state in the union
and also there are many sweet kind compassionate people here=lovely folks who will (as my mother used to say) gladly "bid you the time of day" and much more so than folks inthe North.
but i have aslo seen sucha resistance to change and some scary attitudes
as if SOME folks feel "we ALWAYS DID IT THIS WAY=and we arent gonna change" even when it is for their own benefit such as in health care=building in areas that are hurricame prone, and putting money into over budgetted town improvements instead of beter schools..even local folks i have spoken to agree...
it is an area much loved by natives =of this iam certainand god bless them
one of the things i will not understand is being able to live ina hujrricane prone area=without being anervoujs wreck aboujt it of course that may be colored by the fact that myh cousin drowned inhis wheelchair in Lakeeshore ,Mississippi =or that i have four cousins who lost their homes and everyhting in them
as far as helping with cleanup it doesnt seem to be that cleaup is necessary=its seems that some forced removal of abandoned buildings is inporder and thats needs a bulldozer not apai of hands
when katina happened i organized a huge benfoiitt concert inmy area and raised 8000 dollars in one afternoon==and mananged to get coverage from 3 tv stations in PA
and the help of a well known Cajun restaurant in the area=
i aslo worked with county fire departmentsts on sending TRUCKLOADS of clothes here/
so i have tried to help i still do i am eligible folr better hosuing but live ina house that was abandone during Katrina ..because there are families that need it more.
If you took this post-condensed it--and made a reasonable effort to be objective like you are in parts of this post, i would have no argument with anything you said. Your tone here is quite different from your original post. Good for you.

Old 12-05-2010, 01:45 PM

1,112 posts, read 2,583,453 times
I want to comment on the thorny grass. It hasn't always been this way, I remember as a child lying and rolling in the grass and it was soft with no thorns. It didn't become that way until unusually heavy winds blew the seeds in from Texas about 15-20 years ago.

Old 12-07-2010, 01:37 AM

8 posts, read 38,259 times
It is sad that the Delta is some 30-years behind the rest of the country. Private schools is the norm in the pourest county in the state for caucasians. If you like extortion, you might like it here.

Old 03-27-2012, 11:20 AM

1,512 posts, read 8,166,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brickpatio View Post
What people love about Mississippi:

- College towns - Picturesque Oxford and the Grove, livable Starkville, booming Hattiesburg
- Coastal towns - Ocean Springs to Bay St. Louis
- Barrier islands - Pristine Cat Island and Horn Island, friendly Ship Island
- Rivers and creeks - Black Creek national wilderness area, Clark Creek Natural Area, Red Creek, Okatoma, Pickwick, many others
- History - Natchez and Vicksburg with antebellum mansions and battlefields
- Jackson neighborhoods and suburbs - Belhaven, Fondren, and Eastover in Jackson...Lost Rabbit on the Reservoir, and Madison schools, safety, and careful planning
- Charming small towns with historic neighborhoods - Brookhaven, Corinth, Laurel, Hernando, Columbus, Greenwood (Alluvian and Grand Ave)
- Trees, hills, lakes, farms and small towns, rather than traffic, malls, crime, and crowded suburbs
- Colorful history in music, art, and literature from Faulkner to Welty to Elvis to BB King to Walter Anderson
- Sports - Famous athletes such as arguably the top quarterback, runner, and receiver in the NFL (Bret Favre, Jerry Rice, Walter Payton)
-Relaxed atmosphere...seafood, easy drive to New Orleans and Florida, endless hunting and fishing, church, ultra friendly people
Don't forget Alcorn!

Old 03-27-2012, 11:48 AM

73,005 posts, read 62,585,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncreager View Post
It is sad that the Delta is some 30-years behind the rest of the country. Private schools is the norm in the pourest county in the state for caucasians. If you like extortion, you might like it here.
Interesting you mention the Delta. My grandparents were from the Delta. They left in the late 1940's and went to Milwaukee,WI. They were part of the Great Migration. My father was born and raised in Milwaukee. According to my father, he would never live there, even now.

Old 03-27-2012, 01:15 PM

468 posts, read 786,135 times
Why Mississippi?

I guess because we've been on the bottom for so long we have no way to go but up!;-)

God bless.

Old 03-27-2012, 01:53 PM

352 posts, read 780,904 times
My fiance lives here, so I will be moving down soon.

Old 03-27-2012, 02:09 PM

73,005 posts, read 62,585,728 times
I know someone who has a friend in Mississippi. She is hoping to leave Mississippi and move to the Atlanta area.

Old 03-27-2012, 06:55 PM

25,567 posts, read 17,275,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Interesting you mention the Delta. My grandparents were from the Delta. They left in the late 1940's and went to Milwaukee,WI. They were part of the Great Migration. My father was born and raised in Milwaukee. According to my father, he would never live there, even now.
He's mostly right. Living in the delta is tough for everyone in that jobs are scarce and pay little. Seems like the delta still - to this day - has more people living there than the infrastructure can support.

If your grandparents are still with us, take the time to sit and talk to them about their life in the south. Record it, or write it down. Collect pictures, dates. addresses, names, and if you have the ability put them into book and have several copies printed. We did that for my wife's 100th birthday, and Lordy, the tears of joy! The old pictures; memories; stories you never knew......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi