Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2010, 08:50 AM

124 posts, read 277,203 times

Advertisements

Hometown Mississippi Retirement, an official state program, has designated certain cities across the state as “certified retirement cities.” As I am interested in retiring to Mississippi in a few years, I ordered the program’s retirement guide. From what I have since learned about the 21 cities in the program, I am particularly interested in Aberdeen, Brookhaven, Corinth, and West Point. I have never been to Mississippi (though I hope to visit soon), and chamber of commerce websites can only tell you so much about a place. I would be interested in hearing from people who have retired to any of these cities (or a city of similar size): How do you like the city? Are you glad you retired there? I’m interested in finding a smaller city where I can spend the “golden years” gardening, bicycling, walking, and volunteering at the public library or community hospital. I’d also be interested in hearing from residents of these cities (whether retired or not) who have an opinion about their city as a place to retire to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2010, 03:21 PM

1,098 posts, read 3,108,704 times
You've made some excellent choices. Based on your description, I can make a few relevant points (in my humble opinion...) .
Brookhaven is perhaps the most beautiful of the four. Its historic district is full of gorgeous homes with huge trees. And the downtown is vibrant and connects directly into the historic district. There are also very nice newer neighborhoods. The Mississippi School for the Arts is located in Brookhaven. The commercial area with Wal-Mart, Home Depot etc is modern and nice. The surrounding countryside is somewhat rolling and very wooded. Its also convenient for jaunts to New Orleans, the Gulf Coast, and up to Jackson.
Corinth also has a picturesque historic district and nice newer neighborhoods with a nice country club. Corinth's downtown is also somewhat active, although perhaps not quite as vibrant as Brookhaven. Corinth is just minutes from Pickwick, a scenic lake on the Tennessee River that is perfect for very large motor boats and sailing. And the outer suburbs of Memphis are just over an hour away.
West Point also has charming older homes and streets just east of downtown, although not quite as beautiful as Brookhaven or Corinth. It has a fairly active downtown that the community has put real effort into, and a golf club called Old Waverly that's considered one of the top 100 golf courses in the nation. This neighborhood around the golf club is exclusive and gated. West Point has a strong sense of community, with some well regarded festivals. It's also blessed to be just 15 minutes from Starkville and Mississippi State University, which means virtually year-round football, basketball, baseball and other cultural music and theatre venues. West Point is not as pretty as Brookhaven or Corinth but it benefits from its location near Starkville and its golf club. The countryside is rolling pastures, notable in the pleasant drive from West Point to Columbus.
Lastly, Aberdeen is known for several historical homes and a small lake on the Tennessee Tombigbee Waterway. It is easily the smallest of the four towns and perhaps the least vibrant, in the modern sense. Based on your description, envisioning an active community with plenty of areas to wal and bike and places to volunteer, I personally would select one of the first three above.
Overall, I would say Brookhaven and Corinth are both pretty and Brookhaven has the best location being relatively close to New Orleans and the Gulf Coast. And compared to Corinth, winters in Brookhaven are about 7 degrees warmer. Corinth might be the best choice if you are into boating. West Point's main benefit is proximity to Mississippi State and its golf club.

Old 02-06-2010, 10:17 PM

9,803 posts, read 16,184,209 times
In the info I got from West Point, they touted their walking paths throughout the city that were former railroad tracks.

I have recieved retirement info from hundreds of southern cities in my research over the last 10 years on retirement re-location. ( US mail------before I had internet)

I have to " tip my hat" to Brookhaven for sending me the most information and it was very informative.

I have visited many of the places I inquired about ( Tennessee, Arkansa, Georgia, and Alabama ) and still have Mississippi on my --" to do"--list.

Old 02-07-2010, 04:16 AM

Thanks for a most informative post, "Brickpatio." Brookhaven sounds delightful. I'd love to live in an historic district within walking distance of downtown. I have a dream of sitting on the porch of an antique cottage-style or Greek Revival house and watching the world go by.

Old 02-07-2010, 06:44 AM

105 posts, read 273,872 times
What exactly is a "Certified Retirement City" ? I see Southaven has the sign, but see nothing different there than the other cities.

Just curious !

Old 02-07-2010, 07:03 AM

According to the guide published by the Hometown Mississippi Retirement program, the "certified" cities have passed an "intensive screening process" using criteria "important to retirees."

Old 02-07-2010, 01:41 PM

1,098 posts, read 3,108,704 times
For elegant and charming historic communities, you should also consider Natchez (most antebellum homes of any city in America, perched up over the Mississippi River); Oxford (postcard perfect college town); Laurel (largest historic district in the state for elegant turn of the century homes); Columbus (numerous antebellum homes and Queen Anne cottages); and Ocean Springs (huge oaks arching over the streets, cottages, located by the beach). If you like history, diversity, and character you might also consider Vicksburg. For much slower and smaller towns with some good character, I like Columbia which is full of charming cottages and is an easy 30-minute drive to Hattiesburg shopping. Another charmer is Kosciusko, with a nice town square and some pretty homes. Mississippi has a plethora of charming communities. That said, Brookhaven is among the most beautiful and prosperous.

Old 02-08-2010, 04:00 PM

557 posts, read 1,674,411 times
For the life of me, I can't imagine why someone would choose to retire in either Aberdeen or West Point, unless they were from there or had lots of family there. Many of the other cities mentioned could be nice, though....... but don't rely too much on that retirement guide they sent you. Come down and check it out for yourself!!!

Old 02-09-2010, 04:02 AM

Thanks, I will come for a visit. But I want to understand your comment about Aberdeen and West Point. Is it simply that you think those cities don't have much to offer in the way of activities or services, or do you think that the residents wouldn't be welcoming to outsiders?

Old 02-09-2010, 06:59 AM

557 posts, read 1,674,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallop the Spot View Post
Thanks, I will come for a visit. But I want to understand your comment about Aberdeen and West Point. Is it simply that you think those cities don't have much to offer in the way of activities or services, or do you think that the residents wouldn't be welcoming to outsiders?
The only positive thing I can say about West Point is that it has a brand-new Walmart, probably the best in this area. Otherwise, it is a depressing and economically depressed little former meat-packing town (lost 1200 jobs recently when a meat plant closed down). You could probably get a great deal on a house, though.

Aberdeen has to be seen to be believed. There is nothing in Aberdeen except a small downtown area. Not even a Walmart will locate there.

I can't tell you if the residents of either town would be welcoming to outsiders.

Based on what I have seen in the 10 years I have lived here, if I were to retire in MS, the ONLY areas that I might consider would be:

Corinth
Tupelo
Ocean Springs
Meridian
Oxford
Starkville
Hattiesburg (maybe)

I also might consider Brookhaven. Even though I've never been there, I hear good things about it.

But that is just me. So much depends on your individual situation. At least you have several years to think about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi