Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2010, 08:01 PM

2,319 posts, read 4,812,073 times

Advertisements

Amen, poptones!

Old 03-11-2010, 08:55 PM

271 posts, read 394,503 times
Maybe Michigan and Mississippi can get together and see who can skip their stone the farthest over them godless heathens!

Old 03-11-2010, 09:17 PM

1,183 posts, read 2,894,257 times
Quote:
If you choose to be some kind of deviant, then expect the social consequences. Our nation gives you the freedom to do what you want inside your own home, but do not expect the state or society to approve of what you are doing if it goes against what god says is right in the bible..
That is one of the most ill informed posts I have ever read in my life. Our Constitution doesn't just protect us in our own homes. Why would we even need civil rights protection in our homes? Our Constitution provides that ALL of us are created equal. ALL OF US! Not just the people who worship like you, look like you, or (*gasp) love like you.

When someone tries to defend the homosexual lifestyle, for example, I simply remind them that Leviticus 18:22 clearly states it to be an abomination

Just a few questions for you, daniel...

1. Leviticus 25:44 states that I may possess slaves, both male and female, provided they are purchased from neighbouring nations. A friend of mine claims that this applies to Mexicans, but not Canadians. Can you clarify? Why can't I own Canadians?

2. I would like to sell my daughter into slavery, as sanctioned in Exodus 21:7. In this day and age, what do you think would be a fair price for her?

3. I know that I am allowed no contact with a woman while she is in her period of Menstrual uncleanliness - Lev.15: 19-24. The problem is how do I tell? I have tried asking, but most women take offense.

4. When I burn a bull on the altar as a sacrifice, I know it creates a pleasing odor for the Lord - Lev.1:9. The problem is, my neighbours. They claim the odor is not pleasing to them. Should I smite them?

5. I have a neighbour who insists on working on the Sabbath.Exodus 35:2. Clearly states he should be put to death. Am I morally obligated to kill him myself, or should I ask the police to do it?

6. A friend of mine feels that even though eating shellfish is an abomination - Lev. 11:10, it is a lesser abomination than homosexuality. I don't agree. Can you settle this? Are there 'degrees' of abomination?

7. Lev. 21:20 states that I may not approach the altar of God if I have a defect in my sight. I have to admit that I wear reading glasses. Does my vision have to be 20/20, or is there some wiggle- room here?

8. Most of my male friends get their hair trimmed, including the hair around their temples, even though this is expressly forbidden by Lev. 19:27. How should they die?

9. I know from Lev. 11:6-8 that touching the skin of a dead pig makes me unclean, but may I still play football if I wear gloves?

10. My uncle has a farm. He violates Lev.19:19 by planting two different crops in the same field, as does his wife by wearing garments made of two different kinds of thread (cotton/polyester blend). He also tends to curse and blaspheme a lot. Is it really necessary that we go to all the trouble of getting the whole town together to stone them? Lev.24:10-16.Couldn't we just burn them to death at a private family affair, like we do with people who sleep with their in-laws? (Lev. 20:14)

I know you have studied these things extensively and thus enjoy considerable expertise in such matters, so I am confident you can help.
Thank you again for reminding us that God's word is eternal and unchanging.

Old 03-11-2010, 09:54 PM

77 posts, read 277,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter_Sucks View Post
An organization dedicated to protecting the First Amendment is useless?
If you truly believe that the ACLU is an objective organization, and comes to the aid of everybody that needs their first amendment rights protected, then I have a bridge to sell you, and i will throw in some ocean front property in Tupelo for good measure

Old 03-12-2010, 05:31 AM

13,900 posts, read 9,793,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by savage71chevelless View Post
If you truly believe that the ACLU is an objective organization, and comes to the aid of everybody that needs their first amendment rights protected, then I have a bridge to sell you, and i will throw in some ocean front property in Tupelo for good measure
The ACLU has taken up the causes of the far left and defended Rush Limbaugh all in the same year. Don't be a blind partisan hack.

Old 03-12-2010, 06:05 AM

1,156 posts, read 1,802,455 times
Chomsky explains that freedom of expression is just that and therefore societies holding this ideal as sacrosanct must bear the burden of hearing ideas that are repugnant. It doesn't mean you have to agree with these ideas, but you have to allow people the freedom and ability to express them even though they might be offensive. Anything less would not be freedom of expression.

Old 03-12-2010, 03:00 PM

783 posts, read 2,261,476 times
Yes but y'all WAY too easily confuse "government" with "society." They ain't the same thing at all (and thank the gods)! It should be far too obvious by now that our society does NOT tolerate the free expression of ideas and hasn't, really, forever. Government does a pretty good job of protecting this but our government is not a dictator ruling by fiat - our "leaders" are elected and must face re-election. There have been many unfortunate twists in our leadership since the beginning of the Clinton administration that will hopefully eventually be undone, but even these were in large part spurred on from the Reagan era Meese commission.

So what does any of this have to do with government? The high school is accountable to the board, and the board members want to hang on to their jobs. So, removing the prom from the realm of the state removes them politically from responsibility. It might suck, but it makes sense. The kids may support it, but what of the parents? My bet is lots of parents don't want to deal with them *****s...

OK this is ridiculous. Apparently this stupid forum doesn't even allow the use of the word que ear! Can you say "irony?" Time for some meta-meds!

Old 03-12-2010, 04:38 PM

1,354 posts, read 4,095,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poptones View Post
thanks for popping into this thread to remind everyone it isn't just mississippi that is burdened by a population of ignorant control freaks toting crosses.
Amen!

Old 03-12-2010, 04:55 PM

3 posts, read 11,649 times
70 percent huh? And bragging about it, even. I believe Michigan is the only state with a town named Hell. If it doesn't live up to its name, there is always Detroit to fall back on. But no, I don't like to associate a political party or religion to intelligence level or just plain good sense. Why cast anyone in an unfavorable light when they are handling that job perfectly well themselves?

Old 03-12-2010, 05:03 PM

1,678 posts, read 3,745,005 times
Why is this even an issue? She is just bringing a date to the prom like everyone else, it just happens to be that she is a lesbian in a tux.

Well it was nice enough for the guy in New Orleans to offer his hotel as an alternate site for the prom.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi