Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2007, 12:08 PM

2,153 posts, read 5,536,709 times

Advertisements

Hello. Just trying to get some information here.

In about a year or so I am packing up the family and moving out of the god awful state that is Illinois (democratic leadership is taxing the life out of the state). We have been looking around and I wanted to get some info on Ocean Springs, Gulf Park Estates, Gulf Hills, and the Gulfport area. Housing prices, good area for families, etc.. We will be looking to spend around 200,000 max for a house.

Can anyone provide me with some personal experiences? The help would be much appreciated. If anyone knows of areas that are nice family areas please chime in. Thanks. Thanks for the help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2007, 09:37 PM

59 posts, read 243,804 times
I wish I could offer information on housing and prices. However I can say that the majority of MS supports the GOP, noting your concen about politics. And it looks like our gov., Haley Barbour (Republican), is on a path to re-election.

Old 06-06-2007, 11:03 PM

3,927 posts, read 8,666,149 times
ditto on the gov.

try googling Ocean Springs for their city commerce. I know when i was there a couple weeks ago, there seemed to be some really nice neighborhoods around. Just driving around though, not inquiring, sorry.

Old 06-07-2007, 12:11 AM

275 posts, read 1,124,917 times
I still like North woolmarket area.
Bro-in-law lives in Shadow Creek.
nice Newer Sub.Div. 160-200K

Areas in Gulfport are off Orange Grove Rd. ( Magnolia Park ) is nice also.

Old 08-02-2007, 10:32 AM

14 posts, read 65,831 times
you have a lot of options in that price range, it looks like you have the right Idea. Stark Bayou is also a nice neighborhood in that price range. I'd defininetly stick with Ocean Springs.. Moderator cut: no realty company ads, please

Last edited by Sam I Am; 11-27-2007 at 04:54 AM..

Old 08-16-2007, 07:15 AM
DB3

55 posts, read 309,241 times
I live in Gulf Park Estates in Ocean Springs. I'm sure there's lots I could tell you but am not sure specifically what you need to know. Number one positive about Gulf Park Estates/Ocean Springs is the school district. If you've got kids you want them in Ocean Springs schools. Gulf Park Estates is not really Ocean Springs. We use their mailing address, but is a county development, which is nice as far as savings on your property taxes. Unfortunately there's negatives to this also -- you don't get the services or response that Ocean Springs developments get (no sidewalks, community well water).

The development is very large, thousands of homes that branch off of the main road, Beachview. It's grown tremendously in the past ten years since I've lived here. There's a SuperWalmart less than two miles from the development which is nice, although I have my own opinions about Walmart and won't bias my posting with them! There's a mall in Gautier, lots of shopping in D'Iberville and the major shopping in Mobile is about 45 minutes away. Gulfport shopping is probably closer but since Katrina driving to Mobile is a much more pleasant experience!

There's a mix of both younger and older families in Gulf Park Estates. The homes are also a mix in terms of size and age. I would say on average the homes are in the 1,600 sq foot range and on single lots of 75x150. But like I said, there's a wide variety so I'm sure you can find what you're looking for. Home prices since Katrina have probably averaged in the $100/sq foot range. For comparison purposes I can tell you that my home is about 2,200 sq foot on a double lot and my property taxes are about $1,200/year with the homestead, $1,800 without. And this figure has been pretty consistent since I moved here in '98. Homeowner's insurance is another story altogether. Be prepared for outrageous rates because we're "south of the railroad tracks." In March my homeowner's cost will be $5,000/year and this is pretty consistent with my neighbors' rates.

It's a safe neighborhood in terms of crime (or lack of) but people speed down many of the roads and with no sidewalks you do have to make sure you teach your children well about road safety and looking out for the idiots behind the wheel! There's some weird law that county police are not allowed to use radar so there's really no deterrent to stop the speeders.

Something to look out for when buying a house in this area: Be very sure to check out the potential for flooding during a heavy rainstorm. The drainage systems are pretty much nonexistent. And it can differ from house to house. If you're buying a house here you want to check out the street and the property in the middle of a downpour just to be sure you won't have future problems with the water (or make sure a home inspection verifies that the drainage is not a problem). Not to scare you but on my street which probably has about ten cross streets, there are two cross streets on which I would never live because the corner yards and streets fill right up during even a quick downpour and take a while to recede.

That said, if you have kids there's tons of children in this area for them to play with. The neighborhood is safe. It's quiet (except for 4th of July and Christmas break when it can sound like Baghdad at times with the fireworks!). People are incredibly friendly, helpful and respectful. Schools are absolutely the best. And all in all it's a very nice place to live.

If there's some specific questions you have about this area I'd be happy to give my two cents.

As far as Gulf Hills, I have some friends that lived there pre-Katrina. As far as an occasional visitor to that area I can tell you that in my opinion the homes are probably a little pricier than Gulf Park Estates, but the neighborhood has a more high-priced appeal. The roads seem to be not as wide which can be a good thing because it deters speeding and gives it a more residential sub-division appeal. Getting into and out of the development can be a pain coming off of Washington Avenue (609), especially since Katrina with the traffic redirected to the interstate. This hopefully will change once the bridge is complete.

Good luck!

Old 08-19-2007, 05:10 PM

114 posts, read 510,643 times
I ate at the Shed in Ocean Springs last week

Old 11-26-2007, 02:26 PM

1 posts, read 11,785 times
I wanted to let you know what kind of experience we are having with trying to purchase a home in Ocean Springs area. We live in Madison, Ms. which is WONDERFUL!!!. If you have a choice of where to live in MS... this would be the place(Madison that is). Top Schools and the housing is unbelievable!!! The housing in Ocean Springs is over priced and the quality of the houses that we looked at are not impressive at all. I don't know what people do to their homes to make them fall apart but I would not pay top dollar for a home that needs so much work done to it. Be VERY carefull about home that received ANY water at all. You don't know how quick the people responded to the repairs and you have mold issues not to mention future flood issues. Insurance is another issue. Call any insurance company and ask about the insurance. You will not believe you ears!!!! The gulf hills area is nice but just about all of that area took a bath during Katrina. Be sure to ask your realtor what the people paid for the house when they purchased it. You will find that they are very over priced just because right after Katrina there was a rush for housing. You could end up with an over priced home that you can't get your money back out of. Hope I have not been to negative but the truth is the truth.

Old 07-29-2008, 03:58 AM

1 posts, read 11,087 times
Check Home Ins.,Stay north RR.

Old 09-12-2008, 09:27 AM

1 posts, read 10,860 times
Thumbs up I heart OS

I have lived in Ocean Springs most of my life and in my opinion, nothing comapres! I moved to Florida and Georgia for a few years and was not impressed. Ocean SPrings is a great place to live weather you are just starting out and raising children or retiring. Schools are excellent, very challenging, housing is varied and range from affordable to extravagent. You get what you pay for. I live in Gulf Park Estates and flooding is an issue here. I would consider a move to Magnolia Bayou or Bienville Place if you are looking for a subdivision. Also check out the downtown area if you like older homes. It's also close to downtown shopping and eateries. Check out Bayview Gourmet or Phoenicia when you are here. Hope you love it like I do!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi