Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2010, 03:04 PM

1,008 posts, read 3,392,184 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mississippimagnolia View Post
Ok...you have to admit that Oxford is prettier than Starkville.
Only for the few hours after State beats Ole Miss in Oxford.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2010, 06:45 PM

1,183 posts, read 2,890,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksonian View Post
Only for the few hours after State beats Ole Miss in Oxford.
Ouch!

Old 04-06-2010, 07:07 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,486,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tama View Post
That is ridiculous. There is nothing to suggest the concern is not legit. What I think is you are a Mississippian--a native. And you do not realize the perceptions outside of the state that are held about Mississippi. If you did, you would understand the concern and be ready to address the misapprehensions and not judge them illegit. You are simply naive.

Oh really, I have lived in several different states and in 3 different countries so I think I know the perception other people have of MS. I used to be one of those people. I also grew up watching Mississippi Burning and other movies concerning the same subject and frankly, that's all I really knew about the Southern states. How ignorant of me to allow myself to be so blindsided.
If the OP was really concerned, why on earth would he visit MS? It is not like he has any idea on what is going on here. When I take vacations I plan to go to areas I have heard good things about.

Old 04-06-2010, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWS View Post
Is this really necessary? I don't find hanging and lynching Black people an appropriate subject for your sarcasm. It sure isn't helping MS.
It's not the first time you have done it.

So you are one of those who sugar coat everything. At least I like to stick up for the place I live in and not allow people to act stupid with stupid questions just so they can start another thread on how horrible Mississippi. . But you follow right into that foot step.

Old 04-06-2010, 07:20 PM

3,378 posts, read 5,009,620 times
The OP didn't say what they were interested in, but, if you want "true" MS, I suppose either Vicksburg, Tupelo or Oxford.

As I myself was one of those people who once thought that Mississippi Burning=The South, but I learned to look past it and educate myself and found that there are endless positives to the South, especially Mississippi and it's history, Confederacy and all.

Hence, why my trip to Mississippi is being planned to this day.

Old 04-06-2010, 08:55 PM
NWS

720 posts, read 1,645,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
So you are one of those who sugar coat everything. At least I like to stick up for the place I live in and not allow people to act stupid with stupid questions just so they can start another thread on how horrible Mississippi. . But you follow right into that foot step.
The OP did not mention or infer anything about race. You did.
There are many negative stereotypes about MS..
We may not like it but there are many that don't have anything to do with race.
You have no idea exactly what he was talking about.
Rather than ask him exactly what he meant you went into your "KKK, hanging, lynching" comedy routine.
You don't KNOW the person was a troll.
I've found a lot of serenity since moving to MS..
Since you have recently arrived I hope you find peace here also.

Old 04-06-2010, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWS View Post
The OP did not mention or infer anything about race. You did.
There are many negative stereotypes about MS..
We may not like it but there are many that don't have anything to do with race.
You have no idea exactly what he was talking about.
Rather than ask him exactly what he meant you went into your "KKK, hanging, lynching" comedy routine.
You don't KNOW the person was a troll.
I've found a lot of serenity since moving to MS..
Since you have recently arrived I hope you find peace here also.
And I have a feeling he just wanted to stir up a debate. And he succeeded I guess.

Old 04-07-2010, 12:11 AM

1,354 posts, read 4,090,233 times
glass-of-merlot said"If the OP was really concerned, why on earth would he visit MS? It is not like he has any idea on what is going on here. When I take vacations I plan to go to areas I have heard good things about.'

Really? You don't try to expand your horizons and perhaps check to see if what you heard is true or not like these posters are doing? You just follow your already established mindset and aren't open to verifying or rethinking your position based on new information? You just go by what you hear and avoid anything that you heard something negative about? Indeed--how ignorant.

At least these posters are trying to give Mississippi the benefit of the doubt. By the way--how did you end up in Mississippi if you only go where you have a positive recommendation and you only heard bad things about Ms? Stop with the smarty pants remarks to people who are inquiring and trying to give us a chance.

Last edited by Tama; 04-07-2010 at 12:25 AM.. Reason: quote not appearing

Old 04-07-2010, 12:14 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
i love vicksburg, i know its going downhill but to remember what is was still burns in the heart of many

Old 04-07-2010, 07:17 AM

1,008 posts, read 3,392,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
i love vicksburg, i know its going downhill but to remember what is was still burns in the heart of many
Is it going downhill or is it stagnant? I'm asking just because I don't follow Vicksburg very much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi