Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2010, 11:46 AM

9 posts, read 55,568 times

Advertisements

Someone please calm me down and tell me it is a nice little town. I've been up there 3 or 4 times, driven around downtown, of course near my future employer, etc and I really like it.

However, I read a bunch of horrible comments about life in Laurel, and I'm just worried. My wife and I are young (24), but we're not typical young kids. She is in a PhD program at USM and I'm an engineer. We enjoy laying low and sitting at home enjoying ourselves. We are not big on going out or drinking or partying. That's just not our style at all.

I'm a cyclist (ex-triathlete thinking about getting back into triathlon) so I'm also looking for folks to train with. Looks like there are great facilities for swimming and running, so I'm seriously considering getting back into triathlon training

Any input would be greatly appreciated. I'm looking forward to moving and starting life in Laurel. I just want to be reassured that these comments that I've read are from folks that just have different priorities than I do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2010, 02:17 PM

Ok, a little more information about me to help any potential responders.

I'm moving from Baton Rouge, LA. I'm well versed in the culture of the South, so it won't be a culture-shock to me. I've spent a LOT of time in Hattiesburg over the past two years, and I really like the area. I just don't know much about Laurel.

I want to like it. I'm an active person, and last time we were up there (yesterday) I saw a few folks running downtown. It looks like the natatorium is really nice and the parks are beautiful.

Old 04-06-2010, 02:19 PM

1,187 posts, read 2,393,259 times
According to Steve Forbert, in "Going Down To Laurel" ".....it's a dirty stinkin' town..."

Old 04-06-2010, 02:29 PM

This cat?

I don't care what this fella thinks . . . .

Old 04-06-2010, 03:14 PM

356 posts, read 1,345,161 times
I can recommend the Calhoun area west of town. A lot of my family lives there. There is a really nice pool out there too (hwy 84W). There are a lot of country roads out there if you like cycling in that type of area. It is a small town, but Hattiesburg isn't far away.

Old 04-06-2010, 03:20 PM

Thanks auntbee. We are buying a house in the historic district downtown. It's such a charming area, we just fell in love with the house.

Thanks for the recommendation for cycling areas. It is truly appreciated!

Old 04-07-2010, 07:35 AM

356 posts, read 1,345,161 times
I love all those old houses in the historic area. Where will you be working?

Old 04-07-2010, 07:48 AM

Me too! We fell in love with the house we're buying. It's absolutely gorgeous.

I'll be working at Sanderson Farms at the corporate office.

Old 04-07-2010, 03:50 PM

1,098 posts, read 3,108,334 times
You're not imagining the beauty of Laurel's historic district. It's one of the largest and nicest historic districts in the state. Laurel also is home to a very sophisticated art museum. And it's a very nice size.

Old 04-07-2010, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brickpatio View Post
You're not imagining the beauty of Laurel's historic district. It's one of the largest and nicest historic districts in the state. Laurel also is home to a very sophisticated art museum. And it's a very nice size.
I'm buying a home in the historic district. The whole area is absolutely gorgeous! I can't wait to go check out the museums down there. We will have to plan out a couple of weekends to enjoy the museums once we move up there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi