Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2010, 06:44 PM

3,734 posts, read 5,767,854 times

Advertisements

On a Greenville thread, I just read someone's observation that Greenville could soon become "another Mound Bayou".

And now I'm wondering: Just what is Mound Bayou?

I've heard things, of course...probably the usual things....but don't want to start this out with any particular slant. So tell me, please, about the place, if you have any particular insight or sources of information.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2010, 01:30 AM

18 posts, read 27,524 times
Mound Bayou is a all black town in the Mississippi delta on 61 hwy. Don't know anything about Greenville becoming another Mound Bayou. My home town is Clarksdale but i now live in central Mississippi.

Old 04-09-2010, 10:57 AM

2,917 posts, read 4,765,444 times
Statistically, for Mound Bayou, go here: //www.city-data.com/city/Mound-Bayou-Mississippi.html

I was raised in Cleveland, now live in Texas.

Old 04-09-2010, 12:58 PM

1,112 posts, read 2,582,823 times
Mound Bayou is a small town in the Mississippi delta between Cleveland and Clarksdale. That racial makeup is about 99% black and 1% white or other.

It used to be if you were going from Clarksdale to Cleveland, you had to pass through Mound Bayou. It was already an economically depressed town, but I feel the bypass has made the situation worse. Less traffic means fewer sales.

I'm not sure what the usual things you hear are, i'm guessing racially motivated. I hear it occasionally too, mostly from older people who remember when things were different. Can't judge everyone based on a few.

Old 04-09-2010, 07:49 PM

2,917 posts, read 4,765,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhadorn View Post
Mound Bayou is a small town in the Mississippi delta between Cleveland and Clarksdale. That racial makeup is about 99% black and 1% white or other.

It used to be if you were going from Clarksdale to Cleveland, you had to pass through Mound Bayou. It was already an economically depressed town, but I feel the bypass has made the situation worse. Less traffic means fewer sales.

I'm not sure what the usual things you hear are, i'm guessing racially motivated. I hear it occasionally too, mostly from older people who remember when things were different. Can't judge everyone based on a few.
Include Merigold, Winstonville, Shelby, Alligator, Duncan, Bobo in that statement. Funny thing for me, though, I have yet to make that trek since the four-lane came through. Maybe I should one day, soon.

Old 06-15-2011, 11:05 AM

2 posts, read 7,237 times
Mound Bayuo is a part of Af-Am history dating back to slavery. Centered around Benjamin Montgomery and his son Isiah. It is their struggle to find racial and economic equality in Mississippi for for African American people. It is a part of often forgotten African American history. I've recently been researching Benjamin and Isiah Montgomery, Joseph and Jefferson Davis, Davis Bend and Mound Bayou. It's a very interesting, fasinating and ignored part of American history. I am trying to contact someone in Mound Bayou that can give additional information about the area.

Old 06-15-2011, 11:25 AM

2 posts, read 7,237 times
Default Please read my post by maharper on 6-15-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by msrose601 View Post
Mound Bayou is a all black town in the Mississippi delta on 61 hwy. Don't know anything about Greenville becoming another Mound Bayou. My home town is Clarksdale but i now live in central Mississippi.
Please read the post by maharper on 6-15-2011. I was attempting to responde directly to this post. Mound Bayou is a jewel of African American history. It shows success by ex-slaves in Mississippi against great odds. Truly a great story. I am planning a trip to the area after futher resaerch. I am now attempting to make contact with someone from that area has interest in the local history.

Old 06-15-2011, 02:11 PM

25,557 posts, read 17,256,908 times
There is nothing particularly successful about Mound Bayou. It's just where a bunch a black folks live. If Mound Bayou was all white and filled with immigrants from Germany no one would ever talk about it.

Old 06-15-2011, 04:12 PM

16 posts, read 38,084 times
Just like so many cities in Mississippi, African American is the majority that makes up more than half of the population. Mound Bayou is an all African American city and Greenville their are more African Americans living there than whites and other races.

Old 06-15-2011, 04:27 PM

314 posts, read 1,104,910 times
Try contacting Luther Brown at Delta State in Cleveland. If he cant give you the information you're looking for, he'll know who can.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi