Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2010, 12:16 PM

10 posts, read 25,335 times

Advertisements

My husband is contemplating a job offer in Pascagoula. It will be for a 1-2 year period. Are there any surrounding areas with excellent schools and a good selection of nice rental homes? Our rental budget would be around $2,500. Thanks for any help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2010, 05:39 PM

767 posts, read 2,291,261 times
OCEAN SPRINGS. Short commute, best schools ,very nice neighborhoods, nice downtown.

Old 05-27-2010, 05:09 PM

91 posts, read 356,555 times
Ocean Springs has the best school system in the area. The neighborhoods are also very nice, as well, with a lot of different prices/styles of homes and neighborhoods from which to choose. I just recently relocated and opted for a rental in Gautier, which is only 3 miles from Pascagoula. We chose the home and area because it was one of those "once in a lifetime" kind of situations where we got a just-reduced home with three bedrooms and three full baths and a boat dock right on the Singing River...gorgeous. I don't know much about the school system here in Gautier, for we don't have school-age children. When we were searching for homes, we found the most in Ocean Springs followed by Gautier. We started to look in Pascagoula and were told to stay away from Moss Point. I don't know why, but people just said "You don't want to live there." I cannot say from looking there why we were told that because we never made it there to look at homes. For educational purposes, you will really want to focus on Ocean Springs! (We opted to rent because my husband had to be at his new job ASAP and we didn't want to commit to an area in a hurry that we didn't know about because there is much to consider, including flood areas, etc....wanted to "test the waters" before we buy!) Happy Home Hunting and Welcome to Mississippi!

Old 05-31-2010, 07:03 PM

17 posts, read 64,228 times
$2500 is more than enough for rent here. I live in the St. Martin area, we have level 5 schools here. My house is new, 4brms and 2 baths, big yard and 2 stall garage. We are in a very nice neihborhood and we pay $1200 for rent. I think you will be fine but if i's schools you ar most focused on like we were you will want to choose Ocean Springs or St. martin area! Welcome

Old 06-02-2010, 08:59 AM

Thank you for all of the suggestions! Our move will not be a permanent one. Only 1-3 years. We've owned homes before and because we move around so much it has always been easier just to rent than to go through the process of buying and selling. Any neighborhoods in Ocean Springs that we should check out or stay away from? We will be looking for a home that feeds into a good elementary and middle school.

Old 06-02-2010, 10:36 AM

63 posts, read 223,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgnewt View Post
Thank you for all of the suggestions! Our move will not be a permanent one. Only 1-3 years. We've owned homes before and because we move around so much it has always been easier just to rent than to go through the process of buying and selling. Any neighborhoods in Ocean Springs that we should check out or stay away from? We will be looking for a home that feeds into a good elementary and middle school.
There are some really nice areas off of Ocean Springs Road which would be great for your commute as far as access to I-10 or Hwy 90. Culeoka is one that I can remember but there are several newer developments.

All of the elementary schools are of the best in the state. That goes for the middle school and high school as well. No matter where you live in the city limits of Ocean Springs, your kids will be in a great school system. Keep in mind that if you live in the St. Martin area, your children will attend St. Martin schools as opposed to Ocean Springs. They are still good schools, just not OS.

Old 06-02-2010, 09:16 PM

1 posts, read 4,260 times
Wanting to know if anyone thinks BILOXI is a good city to move to? Me and my husband have a new job in Moss Point but thinking we might want to live in Biloxi....is there convenient shopping? Any decent apartments/homes to rent? PLEASE HELP! We're coming all the way from RENO, NEVADA!! Thank you!

Old 06-03-2010, 06:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanaas View Post
Wanting to know if anyone thinks BILOXI is a good city to move to? Me and my husband have a new job in Moss Point but thinking we might want to live in Biloxi....is there convenient shopping? Any decent apartments/homes to rent? PLEASE HELP! We're coming all the way from RENO, NEVADA!! Thank you!
Biloxi would be quite a long commute to Moss Point, however, it would be an easy commute because you would take I-10. Biloxi is a good city to move to. But realistically, any city on the coast is. If you do not want such a long commute try St. Martin, Ocean Springs, or even Gautier. There is convenient shopping in Biloxi - Edgewater Mall, the new development in D'Iberville, and the outlets in Gulfport. The coast is easy to navigate so you could get to any of these shopping centers quickly. I live in Ocean Springs and it takes me 10 minutes to Target/Kohls in D'Iberville and 20-25 to Edgewater Mall or the Outlets. It also only takes me about 40 minutes to Mobile, Alabama which has a ton of shopping.

If you have children, you may want to consider Ocean Springs for the school system.

Old 06-03-2010, 01:47 PM

A few of the homes that look good to us over the internet are in Bienville Place and Stark Bayou. We're looking for something with a bit more square footage than most of the newer homes have. We will be coming from a home with over 3,000 square feet and would like to bring as much of our things with us as possible. Can anyone tell me about those neighborhoods and recommend any others?

Old 06-04-2010, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgnewt View Post
A few of the homes that look good to us over the internet are in Bienville Place and Stark Bayou. We're looking for something with a bit more square footage than most of the newer homes have. We will be coming from a home with over 3,000 square feet and would like to bring as much of our things with us as possible. Can anyone tell me about those neighborhoods and recommend any others?
These are both two nice areas. You too may also want to look at some of the subdivisions off of Ocean Springs Road. There are older ones as well as newer ones so you would probably find something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi