Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana > Missoula
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-12-2010, 08:36 PM

36 posts, read 122,029 times

Advertisements

Hey all,

I just moved to Missoula last week because of all the great things I've heard about the place and because I'm thinking of going to the university after I get MT residency. I must say, this place is even better than I thought it would be! The people are wonderful, the land is beautiful, and the beer is damn awesome.

I just interviewed at this cute little Montessori preschool today. I would love to work there, but would only be making 11/hr. I will be renting a little cabin 15 minutes north of Missoula for $500/month, not including utilities. I don't have many expenses, but enjoy trying out bars and seeing shows in town fairly often. Do you think that I'd be able to have a comfortable life making 11/hr? What is Montana state income tax like?

Any advice will be really appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2010, 09:49 PM

1,368 posts, read 3,217,507 times
Default Short answer

Quote:
Originally Posted by meridavi View Post
The people are wonderful, the land is beautiful, and the beer is damn awesome.
Short answer, No. The winter heating bill will likely be over $100/mo and about the only way you're going to eat out a lot is if you eat fast food (not recommended), you work part time at a restaurant or get a roommate. I'd go with the roommate option.

I would hope you are talking Bayern Brewing! It is far better than Big Sky but you can only get it in Montana.

Old 08-12-2010, 09:58 PM

10,349 posts, read 13,940,699 times
I lived near Missoula in a slightly cheaper town and made $24,500 and I was flat broke all the time. I would not recommend Missoula or much of anywhere in western Montana unless you made at least $40,000 which would still make home ownership next to impossible. About the only places you might be able to live on that kind of a salary would be Eastern Montana on the prairies. While the people are great from those towns like Glendive and Miles City, you are pretty isolated.

Old 08-13-2010, 04:20 PM

836 posts, read 1,492,802 times
Donate plasma, you'll do fine!

Really, though, $11/hr is a darn good starting wage in Missoula -- unfortunately it's still probably not a "comfortable" wage. You may want to look into a second job or a roommate situation unless you want to live very, very frugally.

Old 08-13-2010, 05:48 PM

36 posts, read 122,029 times
I don't weigh enough to donate plasma! Yeah, when she first offered me the job, I was all excited about 11/hr because everything on the jobs service site and CL seems to be 7-9 starting wage. But then I did some calculations. Boo.
But you know, I think I can do it. The cabin's just 400sq/ft with an efficient wood stove and backup electric. Has its own well. The driveway's short; I have to figure out if it'd be cheaper to have the neighbor plow it or if I should buy my own little snowblower.

I'll probably end up getting a second little job on Saturdays or something. i'll call it my beer job
flyingcat, i've heard great things about bayern! I can't wait to check it out.

Old 08-13-2010, 06:03 PM

836 posts, read 1,492,802 times
I almost asked you if you had a woodstove! That's an important consideration. Congratulations on your move -- sounds like you'll enjoy your time here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana > Missoula