U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana > Missoula
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-25-2007, 10:05 PM

2 posts, read 7,882 times

Advertisements

Hello

We live in Bellingham, WA and are thinking of moving to Missoula to be closer to family and find a little bit of "lighter" snow for the winters. As we live in the NW we are not afraid of the doom and gloom of clouds. We are also familiar with college towns and the challenges to moving to "desirable" cities. What I am trying to find out is what the culture of the RN profession is there. Any one have any input?

Thanks.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2007, 08:16 PM

174 posts, read 901,022 times
Default RN work

I worked as an RN in Missoula for just under a year. It was a shock coming from the job I had in Eugene, Oregon. CMC in Missoula seemed very backwards to me. The nurses in OB would even say they didn't like new people coming in and wanting to change things. And believe me, things need to change there! In another unit I heard nurses somewhat complain about new people talking about what it was like where they came from, as if they were annoyed with being compared to someplace else. Seems to be a bit of an ego problem I think. CMC was in limbo when I was there. They finally have a real, not interim, CEO and OB has a new person in charge. I grew to despise the place once I realized that everything would be status quo forever. And the 12-hour shifts I hated as well.

Families with babies transferred to the NICU from other areas in MT were shocked at how behind the times CMC was. Nurses from other areas were horrified with the way OB was operating. I oriented briefly in med/surg and was even more disheartened, comparing it to the hospital in Eugene. St. Pat's is a fierce competitor. They did an entire remodeling project to open a birth center to compete with CMC and then found out no docs would consider going there. I don't know much about that hospital. They also have mostly 12 hour shifts. They have the larger cardiac center. I think that hospital is friendlier and has a better feel to it. I had never seen so many unhappy looking staff members until I started at CMC. There are good decent people there and quality work done, but you should just know it is likely to be worlds different than where you are now.

On that note, I am likely to be leaving Spokane and returning to beloved Montana.

Old 06-26-2007, 10:39 PM

152 posts, read 599,283 times
Question How behind can they be?

Quote:
Originally Posted by orygun View Post
. CMC in Missoula seemed very backwards to me. The nurses in OB would even say they didn't like new people coming in and wanting to change things. And believe me, things need to change there!

Families with babies transferred to the NICU from other areas in MT were shocked at how behind the times CMC was. Nurses from other areas were horrified with the way OB was operating.
Being an OB nurse who will be transplanting to that area this year, in what way do things need to change? There are national standards that must be met to stay open. When I visited Virginia some years ago, I was thinking they would be way behind, too, but they had all the same equipment I was using here in the SF Bay Area.

Old 06-27-2007, 06:09 AM

79 posts, read 245,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DBSnewadventure View Post
Hello

We live in Bellingham, WA and are thinking of moving to Missoula to be closer to family and find a little bit of "lighter" snow for the winters. As we live in the NW we are not afraid of the doom and gloom of clouds. We are also familiar with college towns and the challenges to moving to "desirable" cities. What I am trying to find out is what the culture of the RN profession is there. Any one have any input?

Thanks.
Being from around the B'ham area ourselves,im not sure what you mean by "lighter snow" but if you mean less then you wont find that here. But it is a dryer snow and not near the Northeast wind like Whatcom county gets.And the winters last about three months longer

Old 06-27-2007, 03:51 PM

1,309 posts, read 2,671,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DBSnewadventure View Post
Hello

Thanks.
Well i dont think your gonna find a place in montana that gets lighter snow than Bellingham area. The snow fall that Whatcom county experienced this past year was not the norm.But ill take the snow in montana over the cold rain and wind of washington anyday.

Old 07-01-2007, 08:37 PM

174 posts, read 901,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbcobrn View Post
Being an OB nurse who will be transplanting to that area this year, in what way do things need to change? There are national standards that must be met to stay open. When I visited Virginia some years ago, I was thinking they would be way behind, too, but they had all the same equipment I was using here in the SF Bay Area.
In terms of equipment it was very different than Oregon but I don't know how it compares to other places. I thought their IV equipment was old, using cassettes but maybe that isn't out dated, I am not sure. The rooms and "luxuries" are old as in TVs on what seeemed to be 20-year old carts, etc. Not as plush as other places. The thought process for birth and breastfeeding irked me the most. Still seeing nurses promoting formula supplementation like was done many years ago. Mostly though, the attitude that they don't want to see change. Now since I left I heard a new OB manager has come in and she is helping moving things in a positive direction and there is a new CEO as well. So maybe it will change for the better. I guess you would have to see to decide if it is behind the times. But here in Spokane, Washington, things aren't as far ahead as I thought they would be and people tell me this town is 20-years behind as well.

I am heading back there, out of date or not. I intensely dislike Spokane that it doesn't matter anymore to me.

Old 07-07-2007, 04:34 PM

2 posts, read 7,882 times
thanks everyone for the input. we may be a couple years away from moving anyway. not like the good old days of our 20's when we just needed 1 month's notice for our lease! the sun comes out in the North West and there is a bit less push to move. come the gray days though we will start to scratch the itch again.

Old 07-07-2007, 06:17 PM

22,973 posts, read 24,744,612 times
DBS, Why Missoula? Whitefish just built a new hospital and Kalispell (KRMC) has about doubled its size and they are always looking for people. Spent some time at KRMC and loved the nurses to death. Some of the most caring wonderful people that I have ever delt with and the hospital food in both facilites is actually really really good not to mention you would be by some of the best outdoor activities in the state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana > Missoula