U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana > Missoula
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Missoula resident sharing opinion on town, too liberal, schools shutting down for lack of enrollment, yuppies with too many dogs and no kids

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2007, 07:49 PM

720 posts, read 1,008,640 times

Advertisements

Im sorry but our neighbors in Missoula were gay and they were bar-none the best neighbors I have ever had as far as rentals go.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2007, 01:47 PM

7,829 posts, read 13,438,224 times
Back when I lived near Bozeman, some MSU students had the first "Gay Pride Day" or whatever they called it. A bunch of us went off and had a picnic, where anyone was welcome, and all sorts of people showed up. But no one paid the least bit of attention to who was gay or not.... probably because no one did the chip-on-the-shoulder "I'M GAY! LOOK AT ME!" thing that is too typical of a "gay community" (or of any community that thinks of itself as a put-upon minority).

Point is, if you're just yourself and don't thrust that on other people, whatever you may be won't get you into trouble and won't get you hated. It's when you do the passive-aggressive thing where you want everyone to NOTICE who and what you are, that makes people start saying "...and they probably eat babies too!"

There will always be bullies who feel a need to bash (or beat up, or kill) someone perceived as different from the tribe, and it doesn't matter if that difference is race, lifestyle, religion, or whatever. They'll still find *someone* to use for a target. But the rest of us don't CARE what [insert identity here] you are, so long as you don't beat us over the head with it, or use it to try to change our lifestyle.

But don't use your "community" to dig a ditch between yourselves and everyone else -- because it's a lot harder to accept someone who sets themselves up as "different". Being different is okay. Forcing your difference upon others is not.

"Racism is simply an ugly form of collectivism, the mindset that views humans strictly as members of groups rather than individuals." -- Ron Paul

Old 08-10-2007, 11:15 AM

495 posts, read 404,955 times
Default More Missoula

Not to change the subject but.....check this link

News - Missoula man dead after early morning shooting - AOL News (broken link)

Just to put things in a bit of perspective - Missoula is not the beautiful little montana peacefull community outside people who want to move here for such reasons invision it to be.....it does have it share of this type of crime. It happens on a regular basis.

Old 08-10-2007, 02:51 PM

7,829 posts, read 13,438,224 times
In Great Falls, we used to joke that there was a shooting every night at the J-Bar-T But it was never the out-of-the-blue gang-driveby shootings of California; it was always just two drunken cowboys. Personally, I'll take the drunken cowboys over the random gang activity any day.

Old 08-10-2007, 05:33 PM

47 posts, read 190,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeJoeMan View Post
Not to change the subject but.....check this link

News - Missoula man dead after early morning shooting - AOL News (broken link)

Just to put things in a bit of perspective - Missoula is not the beautiful little montana peacefull community outside people who want to move here for such reasons invision it to be.....it does have it share of this type of crime. It happens on a regular basis.
I like Missoula, but I do agree with you that it's no Mayberry. Unfortunately, we have our fair share of idiots.

Old 09-12-2007, 11:09 AM

1 posts, read 2,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiftShoppeGuy View Post
It's the "in your face" tactics that folks use that I don't care for much.

Gays would be fine I suppose, if they just went about their business and their lives.... but most here, that I've seen, are always making a point, or attempting to make a point of how gay they are....

Truth be told, gays don't deserve any more or less attention than most normal folks do.... anything beyond that is treated the same as if some 9 year old were begging for attention.

Gays aren't special by any stretch.. so there's no need to treat them any differently.

We speak of tolerance.... and this is fine too. The trouble with the word itself these days is that it gets used too often for all of the wrong reasons.... the word provides an "easy out" for anyone who might be upset because they might not be getting enough attention.

I can tolerate any good number of things. I can tolerate a gay person living just down the road, I can tolerate that she has a job and pays her taxes, and drives responsibly, and keeps her yard clean, and abides by our current laws..... I can accept the fact that she is indeed a human being with feelings and needs, and that she has a life, like we all do.

What I can't tolerate, is the neverending stream of propaganda that the gay community continues to generate.... it serves absolutely no usefull purpose, other than to appease the gay communities own inadequacies and insecurities about the kind of life they've chosen to live.
Propaganda that leads innocent folks to believe that Missoula might be a safe place for gays to live, when the truth of the matter is, that it is not.

Gay community leaders desparately needs martyrs in order to further their cause... sending gays to Missoula only serves to reinforce their agenda.... Live and let live only applies to us that may not subscribe to the lifestyle.... Gays don't have to live and let live, because if they did, the whole reason for their cause, regardless of how insidious it is, would disappear... and they certainly cannot allow that to happen.

The fact that we here might be conservative has absolutely nothing to do with tolerance. We here in Montana can tolerate more things than you from the outside could ever imagine.... Forcing us to accept certain perverse lifestyles, however, might be something altogether different...
Attempting to force folks to "accept" certain perverse ways of living, can, and does provoke certain reactions.... such as the cases presented in Missoula.
Sure, let the gays have their little parades or other activities of the like.... Certain other religions do the same thing..... these types of things only serve to make a closed community (the gay community) feel better about themselves. We here on the outside already feel better about ourselves, so there's no need for parades or other such silly what not's.

Human beings are free to pick and choose as they please, they have that God given right.... But they don't have the right to push their agenda down anyone elses throat... they don't have the right to be pushy and arrogant about their cause....

The fact that I've chosen to live the life that I do, doesn't make me any more or less intolerant of anything.... The fact that I might not accept the lifestyle of the gay community doesn't at all make me intolerant....
The fact that I might reject their politics, or their in your face marketing tactics, doesn't make me intolerant either...
The Catholic Church is here too, and I don't treat Catholics any different than I do Protestants... Just because I don't go to Catholic Church, doesn't make me intolerant of Catholics..... I may not agree with the Catholic Doctrine and I don't choose to live according to the Catholic Faith.... So am I a bigot because of that?... I think not. Catholics are just as free to pick and choose as I am..... So where does this presumed intolerance come into play?
The difference between the Catholics and the gays is that I don't have the Catholics trying to stuff some off the wall agenda down my throat.

The gay community might just have to come to terms with the fact that there are those in this world that will never accept the lifestyle, and they might have to start understanding that there is a huge difference between tolerating it and accepting it... There isn't anything at all wrong with not accepting certain perverse points of view. Some of the Catholic stuff is sort of "way out there" in my opinion.... just like some of the gay stuff is "way out there" too...

The Catholic Church would so prefer that abortion be illegal..... they went to the state house and lost the same way the gays lost on the issue of marriage. Yet we don't find the Catholic Church bemoaning their loss in the state house over and over again like some worn out broken record, but we do with the gays, and the issue of marriage. So gays lost the marriage issue in Montana... get over it already and move on.
If marriage is such a big deal, there are other states that are happy to oblige.

The boo's and the hisses that one gay politician might have experienced in our state house came more from the fact that that sort of lifestyle isn't "accepted". Nevermind the intolerance, because we can tolerate just about anything you want to throw at us. Missoula can be used as proof of that fact, in a very loose sense.
If Montana was so intolerant and bigoted, as gay leaders would have you believe, then you could bet your bottom bucko-bronson that there would be no gay politicians in the state..... But Montana does have gay politicians, so the argument of an intolerant Montana is rather moot.

The gay community can't get the laws they want passed here, because, though we can tolerate it, we don't "accept" the lifestyle. The last time "acceptance" was forced down anyone's throats, was when Hitler was in power.

The gay community can't ever win on the argument of acceptance, because they already know that they can't win on that premise.... all they are left with is the argument of tolerance. And based on that, we are all forced to having to listen to the same old redundant propaganda....

No one is ever going to get all of what they want, all of the time.
The Catholics aren't going to get it, the gays aren't going to get it, the jews aren't going to get it and so on and so forth.... This, in and of itself, is the beauty of this democracy we've fashioned for ourselves.
If I was a selfish, self absorbed individual, with a politically charged agenda, I could very easily cuss my state house for not passing some of the legislation I wanted... but I'm not.... so exactly how much more "tolerant" do I need to be?
I can accept the fact that we are never going to get all of what we ask for in the state house..... I respect and admire the job that our lawmakers do, even though they may not give me what I want, when I want it.... I would expect that since the gay community is all about "tolerance"...... that they actually practice some of it themselves with regard to our state house, and those of us that are tired of hearing the same old arguments, day in and day out.
I am a gay man, and I grew up in Montana, and I couldnt agree with this poster more. I currently live in Portland, OR, and I hate it. I am so sick of people in general taking themselves too seriously, not to mention the gay "community" which is a total joke. I am so sick of the gays cramming everything down peoples throats, and haveing to "prove" something to everybody. If they'd just relax and live their lives like everyone else, there would cease to be an issue to speak about. I am reading these posts because I still consider Montana my home, and would consider moving back there one day, and was curious as to what kinds of conversations were happening on this subject.

There are a ton of gay people out there who are more disenfranchised by the gay community than the just plain old community, unfortunately all anyone every sees from the gay "community" is drag queens, leather daddies, and angry self-righteous people with something to prove.

Old 09-12-2007, 03:45 PM

22,973 posts, read 24,160,694 times
One of my in-laws and wife's best friends is a gay man. Now imagine, my father inlaw 30yr military man, german/cherokee very set in his ways speaking of this man as his true friend. When I met him I could see why! What a great person. We talked and the subject of other gay people (SF types) came up since we lived north of SF and I worked with many. He told me nothing aggrivates him more than to see them "swishing" down the street, talking with the affected lisp and acting like the woman that they're not. I have to agree with him.
Like he said "I don't care if you are gay or not, I don't want it shoved in my face either way, there's no reason for it as it's nobodys business but yours"
That reminds me, he's getting older... Time to go see him again! What a great person.......

Old 09-12-2007, 11:20 PM

69 posts, read 208,936 times
Gays are very nice peaceful folks.
two married men in our neighborhood have the cleanest home
of all.Almost everyday you can see them taking walks together.
They are very open to anyone who moves to Montana.We have chatted
many times, I believe at least these two men should be welcome to
Montana......................And one more observation, this couple has their aids problem
completely under control. The only people who should be worried about aids,
would be other gays, or dopers.

Old 09-13-2007, 09:01 AM

1,001 posts, read 2,910,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arleigh-20 View Post
And one more observation, this couple has their aids problem
completely under control. The only people who should be worried about aids,
would be other gays, or dopers.
I hope you're not out there having sex, then. Cause, um, AIDS is a pretty big problem in the straight community as well.

Good to see AIDS education is effective, though.

Old 09-13-2007, 09:29 AM

285 posts, read 976,291 times
About gay people being fine until they "shove it down other peoples' throats"...

I'm straight but have many gay friends and have come to try to see things from a gay person's point of view.

What is considered by many straight people to be "shoving gayness down peoples' throats" is the privilege to do the same things straight people take for granted.

"Shoving gayness down peoples' throats" may mean the following:
  • Displaying a picture of one's life partner on one's desk at work. Straight people take this for granted...
  • Holding hands or showing affection for one's partner in public... Straight people take this for granted...
  • Bringing one's partner to the office holiday party and introducing said partner to co-workers... Straight people take this for granted...
  • When straight people are discussing their vacation plans, mentioning the plans that you and your same sex partner have... Straight people take this for granted...

People often think of gays and lesbians in terms of their sexual behavior, rather than as a whole person. We don't define straight people by what they "do in bed".

Homophobic people often use the expression "I don't care what the gays do in the privacy of their own home; I just don't want to hear about it", as if being gay is limited to a series of sexual acts. How would you feel as a straight person if you heard a gay person say "I don't care what straight people do in the privacy of their own home; I just don't want to hear about it?"

If gay people were treated as just people in society, there would be no need for "in your face" marches.

As a straight person, I am not threatened by gay people because I am comfortable with my own sexuality. Two same sex partners going through their lives has nothing really to do with me. Even if I were of the belief that homosexuality is wrong in the eyes of the Lord (I don't identify as Christian so this is irrelevant to my belief system), I would still consider it up to them to work that out for themselves. I sometimes wonder about the folk who protest the loudest...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana > Missoula