Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana > Missoula
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2010, 05:42 PM

1,219 posts, read 3,168,673 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
I run all terrains on my truck, year round. They will dig in when necessary but are good to run on dry pavement, rain, ice, snow, etc.

Not sure where to get tires in your neck of the woods.
I do the same most of the time, but if it gets really bad I keep a set of studded off road tires just in case. That said, they have saved me from chaining up at times... It depends on where you have to be, so if you are mostly in town, all terrain tires could be good enough for lots of folks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2010, 07:09 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,041,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timberwolf232 View Post
I do the same most of the time, but if it gets really bad I keep a set of studded off road tires just in case. That said, they have saved me from chaining up at times... It depends on where you have to be, so if you are mostly in town, all terrain tires could be good enough for lots of folks.
If needed, I chain up. But haven't chained in years other then when I was playing out in a field or pulling somebody else out.

BTW, I live 20 miles from town and only go into town once a month. And then I use the county roads usually. But where I live, they do a great job of snow removal. I'm no where close to Missoula so have no idea how good of a job they do. 20 years ago, I would have chained up a couple dozen times a winter, no matter what tires I had. But in todays world, the county/city/state seems to have a few more vehicles/workers/expenses.

Old 12-04-2010, 09:32 PM

1,219 posts, read 3,168,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
If needed, I chain up. But haven't chained in years other then when I was playing out in a field or pulling somebody else out.

BTW, I live 20 miles from town and only go into town once a month. And then I use the county roads usually. But where I live, they do a great job of snow removal. I'm no where close to Missoula so have no idea how good of a job they do. 20 years ago, I would have chained up a couple dozen times a winter, no matter what tires I had. But in todays world, the county/city/state seems to have a few more vehicles/workers/expenses.
I'm not sure about tire shops in Missoula either..

In my line of work, a lot of times I'm going to mountaintop comm sites so it's a fine line sometimes between chaining up or using snowmachines, an argo, or ATV's to get to where I need to go... It's always easier if I can get my truck there, and this time of year it's possible with chains at times, in a month I'll be in an argo, snowmobiling or renting a snowcat. I have to admit I'm a fan of the argo and am considering buying one for personal use. It's not as fast as an atv or snowmobile, but I can haul more weight, and get to more places in that thing year round than I can in the alternatives. There is also a track option that you can put on it, and it's great when your journey takes you on turf and snow, or just snow. Don't have to worry about tearing up your snowmachine, nor getting stuck on an atv. I can haul enough to get my job done in one trip vs. taking 3 on atvs or 4 on snowmobiles.

The argo is also amphibious, and you can drive it right into a lake, they even have a mount for a small outboard boat motor if you want to go faster than the drive wheels will take you.

As for personal use, in our new place, we also live about 20 miles outside of town, wood is our primary heat and when I'm out getting wood, an argo would haul 1200 lbs or better and can haul a trailer or sled. You give up speed, but get reliability and to me speed isn't a real factor, I'd rather be late and get there than dig out snowmobiles when the snow isn't right. Not to mention the hunting advantages..

Old 12-05-2010, 09:24 PM

Location: Approximately 50 miles from Missoula MT/38 yrs full time after 4 yrs part time
2,308 posts, read 4,120,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timberwolf232 View Post
I'm not sure about tire shops in Missoula either..

In my line of work, a lot of times I'm going to mountaintop comm sites so it's a fine line sometimes between chaining up or using snowmachines, an argo, or ATV's to get to where I need to go... It's always easier if I can get my truck there, and this time of year it's possible with chains at times, in a month I'll be in an argo, snowmobiling or renting a snowcat. I have to admit I'm a fan of the argo and am considering buying one for personal use. It's not as fast as an atv or snowmobile, but I can haul more weight, and get to more places in that thing year round than I can in the alternatives. There is also a track option that you can put on it, and it's great when your journey takes you on turf and snow, or just snow. Don't have to worry about tearing up your snowmachine, nor getting stuck on an atv. I can haul enough to get my job done in one trip vs. taking 3 on atvs or 4 on snowmobiles.

The argo is also amphibious, and you can drive it right into a lake, they even have a mount for a small outboard boat motor if you want to go faster than the drive wheels will take you.

As for personal use, in our new place, we also live about 20 miles outside of town, wood is our primary heat and when I'm out getting wood, an argo would haul 1200 lbs or better and can haul a trailer or sled. You give up speed, but get reliability and to me speed isn't a real factor, I'd rather be late and get there than dig out snowmobiles when the snow isn't right. Not to mention the hunting advantages..
......Hey TW232...........

Re the ARGO..............A friend of mine has been a Master Guide in AK for about 30 years...........He runs hunts for interior Girzzly in the Talkeetna/Denali area and Brown Bear (Kodiak Grizzly) on Kodiak Island.

He has tried all different types of vehicles, equipment etc for getting into areas that are almost inaccessible.................then he decided to 'bite-the-bullet' and bought an ARGO: 8x8 750i. (approx $23000/$25000)................he loves it and has yet to find a situation it can't handle. Just within the last 4 weeks on Kodiak, he had a hunter that harvested a 900 pound bear. Rather than skin it at the killsite (weather was TERRIBLE).........he & his assistant guide (using a block and tackle) loaded it on the ARGO....drove the 5 miles back to camp (though some unbelivable terrain, 18" of snow etc) and completed the skinning job at camp under much better conditions. I guess those 8 drive wheels fitted with the optional snow tracks are "hard-to-beat". I'd sure love to see one in action hauling one of our Montana 7x7 (800 pound) bull elk out of the Bitterroots at 8000' elevation through 4 feet of snow............................. Ketch ya later.

Old 12-05-2010, 11:02 PM

8,087 posts, read 15,153,325 times
<goes off, looks it up>
Amphibious Vehicles - Amphibious ARGO ATV, ARGO AATV, ARGO All Terrain Vehicle

Looks like it escaped from a military reservation
Cab seems a trifle chilly, tho!

Old 12-07-2010, 02:58 PM

126 posts, read 381,605 times
Reziac, Accessorize with a convertible top.

Convertible top and Tracks!!

Old 12-07-2010, 04:03 PM

For the go-anywhere, do-anything driver... who never runs out of dirt.

Now, where's the option to run on just about any burnable liquid??

Old 12-08-2010, 08:09 AM

6,756 posts, read 8,573,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reziac View Post
Now, where's the option to run on just about any burnable liquid??
Found one for you Rez. Model 735 Stanley Steam Car stanley photos

While originally designed to use kerosene, they could use nearly any fuel,(organic or petroleum) to fire the boiler.
So, pair a Stanley boiler on an Argo and you could even use animal fat oil like bear grease to fire your engine.
Real all terrain all condition vehicle...LOL!!

I once thought about getting one of these, but I don't think they would be practical in Montana as the water in the boiler would freeze unless you kept the steam up all the time.

Original subject, I use all terrain tires all year round as I do a lot of backcountry driving. I prefer them to the purpose heavy tread mudders because I can use them on the pavement. The heavy tread really rumble

I do carry chains, light duty for ice and hard packed snow, and heavy mud hooks for back country.

(I spend a lot of time on my back under muddy or snowy trucks digging out or putting on chains I should have put on in a dry area at the bottom of the hill )

Old 12-08-2010, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTSilvertip View Post
Found one for you Rez. Model 735 Stanley Steam Car stanley photos

While originally designed to use kerosene, they could use nearly any fuel,(organic or petroleum) to fire the boiler. So, pair a Stanley boiler on an Argo and you could even use animal fat oil like bear grease to fire your engine. Real all terrain all condition vehicle...LOL!!

I once thought about getting one of these, but I don't think they would be practical in Montana as the water in the boiler would freeze unless you kept the steam up all the time.
LOL!!! And in a pinch you could burn wood, coal, garbage, cowpats, annoying neighboors

Aside from the freezing issue, boilers aren't near as safe as our modern internal combustion engines... but I wonder if eventually we'll be forced back to 'em.

I've seen some really long-spiked mudhook chains, don't imagine the road dept. would be too pleased to see those on a paved highway even if it's iced up good!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana > Missoula