U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana > Missoula
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-16-2012, 08:05 PM

7,751 posts, read 13,161,953 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
Not sure if you are aware, but you can not get permanent registration on new cars or pickups. You can get permanent on ATV and motorcycle, but cars and pickups have to be a certain age first (15 years old????).
I think it was 11 years, but it's been a while since I checked. The rate was somewhere around $85 plus whatever fees the county tacks on, someone told me theirs came to $250 or so. But that's not bad for being done with it forever on a vehicle you plan to keep. I'm too lazy to look it up this instant, besides there's baseball that needs watching.

I like the "year-accurate plate" or whatever they call it, where you can get a plate with the design for the year your vehicle was made. I'm gonna get me one o' them in due course.
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2012, 09:45 AM

34 posts, read 80,182 times
Quote:
ElkHunterQuote:
Originally Posted by DueToJob
- snip -

At first, registering the car looks cheap enough, if you're just looking at the state site. But there's this thing where counties get to add on...... But, you can do a permanent registration, which as someone who keeps a car a long time, is not a bad idea. I'm just wondering what it would cost to register a new car, I'm guessing that is pretty steep.

- snip -

Not sure if you are aware, but you can not get permanent registration on new cars or pickups. You can get permanent on ATV and motorcycle, but cars and pickups have to be a certain age first (15 years old????).

Yep, I got it.

Having just moved here with cars that all need registration and all quailify for the permanent (It's 11 years or older) that was going to be a hefty chunk of money on top of all the other expenses. We're renting and waiting a year to see how things shake out, then I might do that. Have to also decide if we're going to keep them or if we need to upgrade at least one of them. They're FWD and one is a little low to the ground, so we'll see how they fare with winter around here. The low-rider (Compared to a mid-sized SUV) is for school commuting and we're thinking the bus service may be the best bet for that in winter.

I thought others might want to know that the registration price looks pretty good on the state site, for older cars, but when the county gets done adding on.......

Plus, I was kind of surprised that the registration was as high as it was, in a state that had income tax. I've lived in states with no income tax, just sales tax, where you would expect the other taxes to be high- and paid less for registration. Ditto the real estate taxes.

Just don't let a sales tax get added on with what the state already has in income tax. I've also lived in states that have both and that is just too, too much. I keep hearing that Montana has a surplus and if that's the case, (Is it?) it begs the question of why someone would be pushing for a sales tax on top.

One or the other, but not both. Even in states with sales tax, they usually don't tax food from a grocery store.

Old 10-17-2012, 11:05 AM

18,696 posts, read 37,682,601 times
Some towns in Montana have sales tax. Generally, throughout Montana there is none, however, some places do have a sales tax. The State, does not.

Old 10-17-2012, 11:25 AM

7,751 posts, read 13,161,953 times
Sales tax is one of those things that once you have it, it keeps growing and expanding. And it hits low-income people the hardest. Don't go there!!

Old 10-22-2012, 08:45 AM

22,956 posts, read 23,656,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
Hey Elk, it's 10 years. You get the perm sticker on the 11th year. You also get perm stickers for trailers which is great if you have an RV.
We found when we lived in MT that unless you're into outdoor activities, especially winter ones and love to hike/mountain bike or fish,raft,camp,hunt then you probably won't do well mentally in MT. If you are into all sorts of outdoor stuff (and can physically do them unlike some of us broken down people) then it's pretty much heaven on earth.

Side note: Hope you're doing well Elk and others I've known on this board, stay safe!

Old 12-28-2012, 10:54 PM

25 posts, read 48,077 times
Thanks to everyone for all the information on Missoula. I have learned a lot and appreciate your posts.

Now I have a few questions for everyone. I may be moving to Missoula soon to take a position at UM. What are the relations like between UM and the people of Missoula? In some towns university-town relations are great. In some other places not so much.

Next, how would the people of Missoula react to UM hosting over 1,000 international students and scholars each year? Part of my duties would include significantly expanding the international population at UM. But before such a program could work, I would like to know what sort of reception those visitors might receive.

That many international visitors means they will expect Missoula to have stores, restaurants, etc. that provide at least some of their necessities. Do you think Missoula would be comfortable with any of this?

Thanks in advance. I look forward to hearing what you all have to say.

Old 01-02-2013, 11:31 AM

1,368 posts, read 2,845,729 times
I will give you the perspective that we had at MSU when I was there in the late 1990s.

SCREEN, SCREEN, SCREEN your students. We had several Chinese students that cheated on exams and beat their wives when they were in campus housing. They really weren't interested in speaking English and frequently flouted the IT policies on campus. I wonder if some of them were training for cyber-warfare (remember the 1990s was the age of internet "innocence") as two of them were responsible for a 1 day outage when I was there. I know because they programmed the virus in my department's computer lab, not the CS lab.

MSU also had several Middle Eastern students violate their student visas after 9-11 and not attend classes. There was a nationwide ICE scramble to find them. They weren't doing anything wrong outside of the visa violation (1 was on a shopping spree in LA if I remember correctly) but it gave MSU a black eye.

Given that several university officials could be indicted if Jordan Johnson is convicted of rape, you should be very aware of womens issues and sensitivities on campus. If a large batch foreign nationals arrive and a very small minority start beating women or worse, it will make the paper and you will have a fiasco with US DOJ and others. Missoula is small enough that 1,000 people is significant. If they are upstanding citizens, you probably won't have any issues but I can't emphasize enough that you will need to screen them vigorously.

Old 01-17-2013, 12:57 AM

1,065 posts, read 1,615,251 times
UM is a very interagal part of Missoula, especially the Grizzly football team, its what makes Missoula unique. However, we've been having some pretty serious issues with our football players being arrested for battery, robberies, domestic violence, rape, drug use and DUI which has been putting a serious strain on our community in regards to the viewpoint of how the UM system has handled these issues with students and athletes.

Missoula is pretty welcome to visitors and tourists as thats how a lot of local economy is based one and and the UM has hosted and houses thousands of forigen students over the decades and I see bus loads of Asians touring the area through the summer time in my years hear. Don't expect however for us to have a wide selection and quality of Asian based food and restaurants, cause we really don't. We have some small mom and pop Asian places scattered around town and the larger ones like China Bowl, China Buffet, Sushi Nora and Sushi Hana as we do have a lot of vietnamese and asian families in the outlying areas that work local farms and make money during our Saturday downtown markets through the summer time as well as our big Huckleberry harvests

Old 01-22-2013, 01:50 PM

12 posts, read 24,140 times
Regarding the "lack of jobs, particularly industry" statement. I am looking at possibly getting hired on with Jim Palmer Trucking as a mechanic, in the near future. Does anyone here work for them, or know someone who does? If so, do they expect potential employees to possess their own tools, and if so, how many? I know most trucking companies expect mechanics to own some tools, but I was curious as to JPT's policies. Also, does JPT have other facilities around the country? Just in case their HQ isn't hiring at this time. Thank you for the input.

Old 02-01-2013, 09:33 AM

281 posts, read 763,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montana Griz View Post
.......Well, in the span of 29 minutes you composed 3 posts that were approx 2/3rds full of negative comments about Missoula & the area around it......and 1/3rd related to what you do find acceptable.
In "my world", that would make me ask myself the "Big Question":[....I]Why the hell am I still here........maybe I should go back to "the Great State-of-Calif" where I came from originally?[..."
I came here because we have family here and for personal health issues and I needed the support of my family. I'm not native Californian, however, I'm native Alaska.

Quote:
IMHO,...it appears that your situation is typical of so many that move here and do not accept and/or acclimate to the existing culture, living conditions and lifestyle that is "part & parcel" of the Missoula area.........Many that fall into that catagory 'want the area and it's culture, life style and living conditions to CHANGE and satisfy what THEY want and what THEYfind desireable!!! Too bad, but "that ain't gonna happen"!
I never really found Missoula to be much of a culture, rather than just the nearest city to take of business in and avoid the hip strip and college scene. I did not find anything special about it, no. But that's me. I didn't come up here wanting to change Missoula or anything like that, I just stayed away from it as much as possible. The drunk driving there is insane.

Quote:
........How much "true total research" did you really do on this area.? Did you visit Missoula & the area several times (at different times of the year), did you thoroughly research & check out the employment situation; did you not realize "what comes with "living near and/or in a COLLEGE TOWN"??
...Did you (or husband) secure a guaranteed job BEFORE you moved here?.............and did you do the calculations related to "cost of living" and what you would have as related to income and/or savings?
I did some basic research, but I had already been to Missoula in the mid 90's and I found in 2007 that it had changed greatly, for the worst. We weren't moving to Missoula though, and yes we already knew that job issues would be a struggle. My reason for coming to Montana ^ see above.

Quote:
Realisticly speaking,......."lets put your level of 'dis-satisfaction' on the set shoulders where it REALLY belongs!!
I never said anyone else shouldn't like Missoula.

Quote:
Having lived (and worked) in this area for approx 33 years and visited, rented and spent many vacations here during the 4 years prior to actually moving.....................I think I can speak with some degree of intelligence and objective analysis as to what it takes to "make-a-go-of-it"..........................Some have it...and....some don't!......................Put the blame where it belongs and don't try and make Missoula and the area "THE SCAPEGOAT"!!

Uh, I didn't. I was outlining the fact that jobs are scarce, traffic sucks there, and the drunk driving is baaaad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana > Missoula