U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana > Missoula
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2012, 12:15 AM

11 posts, read 22,802 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfunkerror View Post

Foo Fighters play Missoula...

Well if The Foo Fighters made a stop in Missoula, as well as other well known bands...I say you may not have to travel to much. I investigated the music scene well. Plenty of good venues and acts come through there. Being a College Town I am sure is the draw. But my punk rocks roots always makes me say..."Make your own scene."

I would say move there. Get money rolling how you ever you can, then maybe find a use for that BA. Sometimes better paying jobs,(anywhere USA), just requires a degree. So you have an advantage from the job lurking I have seen.

Then, leave the mountains where they are, just have fun, be safe, and play on them. No need to move them. lol

btw, you get awesome points for the Frank Zappa...*twists mustache*

Maybe in a few years when, and if I still want to move there, we'll met up.

GO GRIZ!
I figured with your handle that you’d pick up on the reference

Just as long as there’s some type of music scene I’ll be happy.

Yeah, if we’re out that way at the same time we should meet up. I noticed you play the bass. I play the guitar. Now all we need is a drummer and we're on our way to some paying gigs in Mizzoo!! Getting the band back together, baby!!

I’ll be sure and let you know how the trip turns out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2012, 12:35 AM

202 posts, read 426,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by icculus View Post
I figured with your handle that you’d pick up on the reference

Just as long as there’s some type of music scene I’ll be happy.

Yeah, if we’re out that way at the same time we should meet up. I noticed you play the bass. I play the guitar. Now all we need is a drummer and we're on our way to some paying gigs in Mizzoo!! Getting the band back together, baby!!

I’ll be sure and let you know how the trip turns out.

Its 3am...do you know where your drummer is? Pfft who cares I got the keys to the van! HA HA! For sure my friend.

Old 04-20-2012, 06:21 PM

10 posts, read 12,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gfunkerror View Post
Yeah. I think it would be foolish to move without visiting the area. One thing I seem to think about is the fact it is a college town. That college should provide some income for folks there. Whether it is a lunch truck or some kind of supporting business. I mean it has a Mall, and from what I read, its thriving from what I see.

The truth is , no matter where you go, "people hate outsiders." It is kinda dumb really. If you are not the same race, people hate you. If you are not the same social class, people hate you. If you are not from the same side of town, people hate you. If you went to a different church, people hate you. If you like red hats, people hate you. If you like sneakers, people hate you...ect. Its just dumb. If you have that as a reason not to move somewhere, then you just stay in your cave.

So there were two major employers that have left. Nothing new really. I will use Allentown, PA as an example. They had a Steel Mill that closed. Billy Joel wrote a song about the city. It took them over 20 years to realize, hey, we have a College, and a Main Street, and a huge property that someone can use.

Well they pushed promotion of the school, started a thing they called MusicFest, which is a like a week long event. Promoted the Main Street and supported new and old businesses. Now, its a nice place to visit.

All the nay-say'ers did so online like here, while the people who wanted to "do" something about the situation...did something.

Are there negatives, yes. Houses dropped bottom, people gave up and moved out, but a lot moved in. Yes there is crime, as anywhere, USA.

At what point do people stop *complaining* and do something about the place they love so much?

I see all the time, "I love my home, I miss it." Well...why did you leave it. Stay and make it better?

Where I am now, I feel the direction it is going is not they way I would like it. I have , and are still active to make things better here. But I am a minority. So at some time I have to realize its the "kids" turn now. I did my best, let them have a try.

I enjoyed a lot about growing in Philly, and surviving the 80's. I have great memories. But they are gone now, they are places and things that have changed. Never to return. So a place like Missoula is attractive to me. All new 360 degree views, new places to go to, walk, and people to meet. Maybe I can finally use a idea or two and somehow start up a business? Or not? Remains to be seen.

I can't tell the people there, or the government what to do. But I can adjust my sails to navigate that water. I think there is hope, for any city in the U.S. I feel bad that there are some who want things, and fail to realize that they could be the ones making it.

I am not rich, retired, white-collar, or work-at-home. I am a regular guy who is willing to work for a pay check, or do things to make my own. The people I see complaining are complaining about First World problems.... boo hoo.

I can't wait to see this place myself. I am really guessing its not as bad. I could be wrong?
I've lived in Missoula for about 5 years myself and love it, moved here from Billings, MT though. I actually worked with a guy who is about 35 who lived most of his life in philly and absolutely loves it. I've heard him go off multiple times about how friendly the people here are and how much it surprised him when he moved here. He does talk aout how he knew about the trade off regarding limited jobs when he moved so be aware. There are some jobs here, Directtv has a call center that is always hiring and starts people out at around 10 an hour, maybe a little more now. So there are some jobs and the only people who go hungry are the ones not willing to settle. I just finished my degree in IT last may and actually found a job here before anywhere else I was applying like seattle and Phoenix but I do not make much - around 26K a year with few benefits to be exact but it pays the bills.
Also Missoula is the most friendly place I have ever seen regarding people who move here from out of state but even I get pissed when I get cut off by someone with out of state plates so be aware and dont put off getting MT plates on your rig!
If you do visit enjoy your trip here, it really is a beautiful place to be.

Old 04-21-2012, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mttech1270 View Post
I've lived in Missoula for about 5 years myself and love it, moved here from Billings, MT though. I actually worked with a guy who is about 35 who lived most of his life in philly and absolutely loves it. I've heard him go off multiple times about how friendly the people here are and how much it surprised him when he moved here. He does talk aout how he knew about the trade off regarding limited jobs when he moved so be aware. There are some jobs here, Directtv has a call center that is always hiring and starts people out at around 10 an hour, maybe a little more now. So there are some jobs and the only people who go hungry are the ones not willing to settle. I just finished my degree in IT last may and actually found a job here before anywhere else I was applying like seattle and Phoenix but I do not make much - around 26K a year with few benefits to be exact but it pays the bills.
Also Missoula is the most friendly place I have ever seen regarding people who move here from out of state but even I get pissed when I get cut off by someone with out of state plates so be aware and dont put off getting MT plates on your rig!
If you do visit enjoy your trip here, it really is a beautiful place to be.
Not looking to strike gold..but stranger things have happened. Its more of a quality of life that we are looking for. Work is work. Being from humble beginnings, we know how to survive. We don't need a SUV or a fancy hot tub. Just a place where our feet may be the best mode, and running water. lol

I see a place that sell Philly Cheesesteaks there. Maybe they could use a extra hand? Or at least when we crave grease soaked beef wit cheese we can survive. I think we'll bring our Scrapple. Ask your friend what that is. lol

I may be wrong, but it seems the ones from "further west" seem to be the complainers about income. If I wanted to get rich, I would be it already I suppose?

Thank you for a positive reply.

Old 04-22-2012, 11:08 AM

10 posts, read 12,300 times
I do enjoy me some Philly West, we don't get many new restaurants here so they are a refreshing change. I guess they are a bunch of friends who moved here from Philly so being authentic is their thing.
The westerners do like to complain that's for sure but they are easily ignored. If quality of life is your main concern and you like the outdoors this is a very good place to consider. I also can't think of a single place I have ever visited where I feel as safe as I do here. I delivered Pizza through college and never once during the night deliveries was I ever looking over my shoulder or nervous to be in any certain area.

Old 05-10-2012, 04:13 PM

227 posts, read 401,124 times
Ironic considering im trying to figure out the best and fastest way to get the hell outa here from living here all my life.

Old 05-13-2012, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ceTr0n View Post
Ironic considering im trying to figure out the best and fastest way to get the hell outa here from living here all my life.

*shrugs*

Yeah I saw your other post(s). You may find better treatment here in the Philadelphia, PA region.

Good luck.

Old 05-14-2012, 10:03 AM

189 posts, read 302,854 times
Quote:
I know a real fast way to get to Afghanistan, all expenses paid.

Old 05-14-2012, 04:37 PM

227 posts, read 401,124 times
What the hell is it with everyone here parading around the idea for everyone else join the military? Ever think that maybe some of us are well beyond military age qualification?

Old 05-15-2012, 12:27 AM

189 posts, read 302,854 times
Quote:
What the hell is it with everyone here parading around the idea for everyone else join the military? Ever think that maybe some of us are well beyond military age qualification?
Grow a pair and move then. It just seems that when someone seems as desparate as you seem to be to get out of dodge, they join the Navy and disappear. And to be honest, by your rantings, you seemed like a kid to me. A grown man would just make a plan and MOVE already.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana > Missoula