U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana > Missoula
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-02-2011, 07:46 PM

9 posts, read 20,983 times

Advertisements

Hey everybody,

I'm posting this thread to get some more input about what Missoula and the surrounding areas are like. I'd like to tell you a little about myself and what I'm looking for, and hopefully you can tell me if Missoula and Montana would be a good fit for me.

I've been job searching for the past year. I had originally planned to move to Oregon, but have opened up my search to other states. The possibility of securing a job before moving has come up, and it's in Missoula.

I love the outdoors, changes in seasons, and being active. I'm currently in Michigan, but have wanted to move west for the past three or so years. I like to run, bike, fish, camp, and ride my motorcycle. I'm not conservative but I don't push my ideas on other people. I enjoy active downtown areas (think Eugene, OR if you've ever been there), but also being able to get away from things if I want to.

I am used to dealing with winter and the snow, being from Michigan. I actually want to get back into skiing, but the mitten doesn't have many mountains...

Any input is greatly appreciated, thank you!
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2011, 09:01 PM

213 posts, read 634,917 times
The person you just described sounds like a good fit for Missoula!

If you can secure the job before you get here, I think you would like it. But I wouldn't advise moving without having a job lined up. The other thing you'd want to do is take a look at housing costs and make sure the salary you're offered will allow you to afford the kind of place you want to have. Missoula's wages are notoriously out of whack with housing costs, so what may look like a decent wage somewhere else may not get you as far in Missoula. I'm not sure where in Michigan you live, but if it's in one of the harder-hit recession areas the housing costs in Missoula would likely seem pretty high in comparison.

Missoula has a great downtown scene - Farmer's markets, Out to Lunch in the park, host to several movie and film festivals, and a lively night life. You're never more than a few miles from some nice day hikes, and there's an extensive trail system through town and along the river. There's a ski area right on the edge of town, too, and several more within a 2 hour drive.

That's Missoula in a nutshell, if you have any other specific questions let me know.

Old 05-03-2011, 06:04 PM

It sounds nice, thanks for the reply! I guess one of my concerns is the weather. I am used to snow, but would like ample time to ride. (clear roads, not too wet) How does Missoula fare on that aspect? Another forum poster made it sound like it goes from winter, to spring, skips summer to go straight back to winter. I am much more familiar with the weather in Oregon, especially western Oregon, and found that climate to be great. Also, one last thing...what are the people like?

Thanks, I appreciate it!

Last edited by Melon21; 05-03-2011 at 06:21 PM..

Old 05-03-2011, 11:23 PM

213 posts, read 634,917 times
Summers can be short, but I think Missoula has the perfect summer weather. Hot days, cool nights, not a lot of rainy days. It will usually rain some in August, but most years we get a nice "Indian Summer" in September or October.

I think the people are generally friendly without being overbearing. I've heard several people here complain that people aren't friendly, and I guess I could see how they think that, because Missoulians in general kind of keep to themselves and won't be borrow-a-cup-of-sugar kinds of neighbors. But, they also aren't big-city or east-coast rude, either, I find most of the people to be just the right amount of friendly. As for politics, liberals are the biggest group, but you can really find all kinds of people - it's just a matter of finding the right venues to seek out like-minded people.

Old 05-04-2011, 01:54 PM

6,258 posts, read 13,481,810 times
this is a good thread

//www.city-data.com/forum/monta...-missoula.html

Old 05-06-2011, 10:49 AM

Thanks for the replies, and sorry I haven't responded sooner. That thread was a good one, I read through it. It did seem to get derailed pretty quickly though hehe.

It really sounds like a good place to be. One thing that attracted me to Eugene so much was the fact that there were so many outdoor activities to do, so close to the city. You could be in the city, then "out in it" with just a short drive. Drive a little outside of town and you'll find places to camp, fish, bike, hike, etc. It sounds like this is much the same in Missoula? I'd be interested in backcountry camping and hiking. Someone mentioned in another forum the Bitterroot, Mission, and Beartooth mountains.

Old 05-06-2011, 10:57 AM

Hi and welcome
FYI I am a transplant from Oregon and the Willamette Valley in particular, Eugene, Springfield.
If you want a more milder climate then you might consider Eugene. IMO there is little cost of living difference between Eugene and Missoula with Eugene having a larger job market.
Just my 2 cents, lots of hiking in Oregon with the ocean and skiing available.
We moved just because we needed out of the traffic.
Here you have more room to breath.

Old 05-06-2011, 11:07 AM

MT-7,

That's crazy about Eugene having a larger job market! Was the hiking in Oregon more readily accessable? I remember that there were trails all over the place, especially with the drive along the coast. I guess what I'm looking for is a place to live where I can go out and experience "the bigness" of nature. Tacky eh?

Old 05-06-2011, 02:02 PM

No, you are not.
I just think the job outlook is a bit more restricted in Missoula, not a whole lot better in Oregon.
You just will not have snow and the extra heating cost in Oregon, however if you need some elbow room....big sky country cannot be beat.

Old 05-06-2011, 10:11 PM
GLS

1,985 posts, read 5,017,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melon21 View Post
......One thing that attracted me to Eugene so much was the fact that there were so many outdoor activities to do, so close to the city. You could be in the city, then "out in it" with just a short drive. Drive a little outside of town and you'll find places to camp, fish, bike, hike, etc. It sounds like this is much the same in Missoula? I'd be interested in backcountry camping and hiking.
There is one significant difference between hiking in Oregon vs hiking in Montana. In the backcountry in Oregon you may meet a black bear.
In Montana you may meet a Grizzly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana > Missoula