U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana > Missoula
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2013, 07:34 PM

23 posts, read 66,584 times

Advertisements

My vote is going to Eugene OR, followed by Boulder CO. Both towns are laid back, artsy, well educated and outdoor recreation obsessed college towns like Missoula. They also have fairly similar scenery and occupy similar cultural niches in their states. Neither of these towns are particularly diverse compared to most places, but they are larger and therefore somewhat more "cosmopolitan" than Missoula is. Also, both Eugene and Boulder are close to large metro areas, which can't be said for Missoula.

If we leave the college town atmosphere aside and ignore any similarities in population size, I would go with Portland or Seattle!

My two cents.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2013, 07:39 PM

160 posts, read 258,190 times
I’ve always thought that Berkeley should have been used instead of Yucca Mountain as a nuclear repository.

Old 01-11-2013, 11:22 AM

15 posts, read 47,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 31st State Citizen View Post
No idea if this is applicable to you personally (and this is not a personal attack), but what I have found from many people when they are looking for more "diversity" is that they are simply looking for more people who look differently but think exactly the same i.e. perfect conformity to a certain ideology where actual diversity of thought and opinion is intolerable.

Coming from where I live "diversity" and "tolerance" are simply Orwellian terms used by Leftists who are perfectly willing to accept living with all minorities, gays, handicapped, etc. but ONLY as long as they share the same Leftist ideology as themselves (or are even more radical Leftist). Living with someone like Malcolm X or Van Jones would be cool, but living in the same neighborhood as someone like Clarence Thomas or Thomas Sowell would be simply unacceptable. Gays are cool with them as long as they support Diane Feinstein, but completely unacceptable if they support Marco Rubio.
My goodness! You guys are starting to analyze this way too much. First of all, my reasons for wanting to live in a more diverse area really should not matter to you. Second, I'm not the kind of person that will chose an area based on the population's general beliefs. This is strictly based on feeling more comfortable in a racially diverse area, and has nothing to do with anybody's views on politics.

Old 01-11-2013, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space Cowboy View Post
My vote is going to Eugene OR, followed by Boulder CO. Both towns are laid back, artsy, well educated and outdoor recreation obsessed college towns like Missoula. They also have fairly similar scenery and occupy similar cultural niches in their states. Neither of these towns are particularly diverse compared to most places, but they are larger and therefore somewhat more "cosmopolitan" than Missoula is. Also, both Eugene and Boulder are close to large metro areas, which can't be said for Missoula.

If we leave the college town atmosphere aside and ignore any similarities in population size, I would go with Portland or Seattle!

My two cents.
I'm happy that your two cents did not include any opinions about what defines diversity. Thank you.

Old 01-11-2013, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoEagle View Post
I've never understood the preoccupation with diversity in a town. Sure, it's good, but should never be a primary reason for moving somewhere. The main focus about choosing a place to live should be if you can afford to live there and make a decent living.
Diversity is my main focus of the post. That doesn't mean it's my main focus period.

Old 01-11-2013, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Fork Fantast View Post
Bluegardener, as an educator I can't help but weigh in. I know you're young--probably the age bracket of most of my students--and I can tell that you have an open mind and are willing to do research. And you're interested in surrounding yourself with a vibrant variety of humanity. That's wonderful. But I do have to caution you: You are buying into the notion that racial diversity is somehow a positive cultural aspect in and of itself. But that would indicate that you believe racial diversity (simply the fact that people come from different races) equals cultural diversity, as if the fact that one has a certain skin color automatically translates into being part of a certain cultural group, with certain interests and attitudes. I hate to have to say this, but racist tendencies around the world have been based on such assumptions. The term (and phenomenon) you're looking for is ethnic diversity, I believe, and that has only a coincidental connection to race. Ethnicity has to do with cultural traditions. You can have plenty of ethnic diversity in a place with a racial majority, and you can have extreme cultural homogeneity in a place with much racial diversity (such as on a college campus where the predominant culture is "being a student").

That being said, I'd also suggest Portland or Seattle--unless you're willing to take a second look at your diversity requirement and give Missoula a try, and focus on the diversity of the different ethnic legacies present in NW Montana, or simply enjoy meeting people as individuals, not as members of a group. If you go to a racially diverse place, that's how I hope you'll choose to encounter people there, anyway.
Every city is unique in itself. That is all the culture I'm looking for. There's a reason I mentioned the demographics of Missoula and not its culture festivals. When I'm looking for a place to settle down, I want to find a racially diverse place for exactly that, racial diversity, not ethnic diversity (although the two usually go hand in hand). And I'm getting tired of reading posts which imply that I'm simply being naive by passing up perfectly good cities for not being "diverse enough". There's nothing wrong with Missoula's diversity, culturally or racially, and I want all of you to know that I understand that. It's my personal preference. I want to be around people of different races, but not because certain races will act a certain way.

Old 01-11-2013, 12:37 PM

3,406 posts, read 2,882,158 times
I just have to chime in here, hope you all don't mind.

To the OP,
I have lived in the south, north, midwest, northern east coast, pacific northwest, mid atlantic.
The most diverse places are in the south, like where you're living in Houston.
Next would be large cities and suburbs like Chicago, NYC, Boston.
The west is not as populated with a mixture of different races. Neither is the pacific northwest.

You're best to search elsewhere than the west or pacific northwest for what you're looking for.
Better yet, use your own resources and your own brain, and your own time, and search here. It gives you all the information you're looking for, for anyplace in this country.

Why go to individual states and mention, "Oh, I see you're mostly white people. What on earth shall I do and where shall I go?"

Look it up yourself!

//www.city-data.com/

Old 01-11-2013, 01:09 PM

3,763 posts, read 7,917,153 times
New Mexico has diversity, as does Anchorage, Alaska. In Anchorage, there are approx. 90 languages spoken in the homes of the district's school children.

Best of luck in your searches & research, Bluegardener. Good to see you ask questions & stick up for yourself.

Old 01-11-2013, 01:51 PM

1,219 posts, read 2,930,368 times
I've found throughout the years that the ones who preach "diversity" and "tolerance", are some of the most "intolerant" people I've ever met. The "non-conformers" or usually the ones that are mirror images of each other, and will only "tolerate" people of the same school of thought.

Never quite understood why people fall for that.. It's like being a walking contradiction.

Old 01-11-2013, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toodie View Post
I just have to chime in here, hope you all don't mind.

To the OP,
I have lived in the south, north, midwest, northern east coast, pacific northwest, mid atlantic.
The most diverse places are in the south, like where you're living in Houston.
Next would be large cities and suburbs like Chicago, NYC, Boston.
The west is not as populated with a mixture of different races. Neither is the pacific northwest.

You're best to search elsewhere than the west or pacific northwest for what you're looking for.
Better yet, use your own resources and your own brain, and your own time, and search here. It gives you all the information you're looking for, for anyplace in this country.

Why go to individual states and mention, "Oh, I see you're mostly white people. What on earth shall I do and where shall I go?"

Look it up yourself!

//www.city-data.com/
I'm not randomly selecting entire states and asking where I can find something different. If you took the time to read my post, you'd know it's more complicated than just finding a place with diversity.
I am searching with my "own brain". I am here, aren't I? That means I'm doing the research. My research involves talking to actual people. And who better to ask than people who seem to know a lot about the entire country (congrats, by the way), and can help me find places with my specifications? But since you haven't really answered my question, which is about places that are similar to Missoula specifically, you're not helping me as much as you could have.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana > Missoula