Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana > Missoula
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2013, 01:33 PM

15 posts, read 58,437 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bongo View Post
New Mexico has diversity, as does Anchorage, Alaska. In Anchorage, there are approx. 90 languages spoken in the homes of the district's school children.

Best of luck in your searches & research, Bluegardener. Good to see you ask questions & stick up for yourself.
Thank you, but Anchorage looks a little too cold for me!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2013, 03:58 PM

7,378 posts, read 12,661,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegardener View Post
Every city is unique in itself. That is all the culture I'm looking for. There's a reason I mentioned the demographics of Missoula and not its culture festivals. When I'm looking for a place to settle down, I want to find a racially diverse place for exactly that, racial diversity, not ethnic diversity (although the two usually go hand in hand). And I'm getting tired of reading posts which imply that I'm simply being naive by passing up perfectly good cities for not being "diverse enough". There's nothing wrong with Missoula's diversity, culturally or racially, and I want all of you to know that I understand that. It's my personal preference. I want to be around people of different races, but not because certain races will act a certain way.
I don't think you quite understand why your question is incomprehensible to many of us--because focusing on race alone is, to some of us, superficial at best. But I think I get where you may be coming from: Might it be that you want to date women with different racial backgrounds? Now that's a different angle altogether, and just a matter of personal preference, and culture is not an issue. If that's the case, I get it (not that you need for us to "get it"). So whatever your reason, I hope you find what you're looking for! A smallish college town would be your best bet, I think.

Old 01-11-2013, 08:53 PM

7,142 posts, read 4,736,438 times
Gentle OP:
I've been through the state of Montana and have friends who live there. To answer your question, there are no cities in Montana that you would be happy to live.

There is not one city in the west that is similar to Missoula and has a population that is diverse (or at least as diverse as you appear to desire). Not Seattle, not Portland, not any city in Idaho, nor ND or SD. Check out California.

Are you from another country or something? If you live in America and have to ask this, you must be either very young, or terribly uninformed about the geographical facts of this country.

Check out the Illinois board. You'll love it there.

toodie

Old 01-12-2013, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Fork Fantast View Post
I don't think you quite understand why your question is incomprehensible to many of us--because focusing on race alone is, to some of us, superficial at best. But I think I get where you may be coming from: Might it be that you want to date women with different racial backgrounds? Now that's a different angle altogether, and just a matter of personal preference, and culture is not an issue. If that's the case, I get it (not that you need for us to "get it"). So whatever your reason, I hope you find what you're looking for! A smallish college town would be your best bet, I think.
Well, I'm not exactly looking to date, I'm just trying to meet people. But yes, it's my personal preference.

Old 01-12-2013, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toodie View Post
Gentle OP:
I've been through the state of Montana and have friends who live there. To answer your question, there are no cities in Montana that you would be happy to live.

There is not one city in the west that is similar to Missoula and has a population that is diverse (or at least as diverse as you appear to desire). Not Seattle, not Portland, not any city in Idaho, nor ND or SD. Check out California.

Are you from another country or something? If you live in America and have to ask this, you must be either very young, or terribly uninformed about the geographical facts of this country.

Check out the Illinois board. You'll love it there.

toodie
Well, several other posters have recommended Seattle and Portland as being more diverse options, so are you implying that these cities aren't similar enough to Missoula? Because that's debatable.
The part that doesn't make sense to me is your remark about me being uninformed about the country. It's not a geographic issue, it's a demographic issue. Do you really think that most Americans are well informed of the most diverse cities in every region of the country? If that's the case, then it's odd that you haven't mentioned any cities in the northeast, even though there are plenty of major cities near mountains over there. I never specified which region I was looking for, in the hopes that someone as well informed as you could tell me about cities in other parts of the country. (My post even says: "It does not have to be in Montana"). However, I've noticed that most people only know a lot about one specific region of the country. That doesn't make them uninformed, unless you consider specific demographics of every area in the country to be common knowledge.

Old 01-15-2013, 10:49 PM

52 posts, read 117,354 times
Well, I can say with confidence that, here in Wyoming, we have plenty of diversity. I, myself, am a practicing Homo Sapien.

And I'm left-handed as well...

Old 01-16-2013, 04:39 PM

Location: Approximately 50 miles from Missoula MT/38 yrs full time after 4 yrs part time
2,308 posts, read 4,120,914 times
............Attn: bluegardener

1/ Go to GOOGLE: Enter: Top 100 racially diverse cities in the U.S.

2/ Get the "Obvious Chip off your shoulder"

3/ No matter where you end up.............until you change your "over-all" attitude
you will find that your "priorities" need "some review".

I am approx 4 times your age , and for 40 years, traveled to thousands of cities and had personal contact with thousands of people (clients) in (41) states and in cities of all sizes (hundreds of which were in close proximity to mountains).................yes I was fortunate to choose a career that afforded me the opportunity to meet and inter-act with people of many, many races. Even as a young college graduate it quickly became obvious to me that "race" was "at-the-bottom-of-the-list" as related to my successful "inter-action" with a specific individual...............................You've got a lot of maturing to gain young lady........................observe, listen & learn and maybe, just maybe you'll end up realizing that the older you get..........the more you need to:.......observe, listen & learn.

Old 01-17-2013, 12:50 AM

1,065 posts, read 1,801,501 times
Montana and diversity don't belong in same sentence. Missoula, Butte and Bozeman are about as diverse as your gonna get. The farther North and East you head, the whiter and more conservative it gets.

Old 02-09-2013, 06:45 PM

130 posts, read 386,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGyrl View Post
True, Missoula doesn't have the number of black people I was used to, growing up, but on the other hand it has more Native Americans and NA culture.
Since when does diversity automatically mean "black people"? I think the OP wants to just avoid the ignorance that comes along with living in an homogenous environment. Case and point with your quoted statement.

Old 02-09-2013, 06:50 PM

130 posts, read 386,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegardener View Post

I'm guessing that as a former Montana resident, you must have been offended by me mentioning Montana's lack of diversity. But there's no need to come down on me; I'm just here to learn and I truly didn't mean to offend anybody.
I understand your initial question and its validity. I appreciate your desire to want to be exposed to a variety of people. You are doing the right thing for yourself. It is to be expected for white people to be offended and antagonisitc when they find another white person who does not want to live solely with them. It is a threat to their ideals. I am assuming, of course, that you are white. Actually, I'm glad you asked the question because I was wondering the same thing. If it were me, I would consider Anchorage, Washington state (mainly Seattle), Minneapolis, Colorado, Michigan, or maybe Cheyenne, Wyoming.

Last edited by queenvic; 02-09-2013 at 07:02 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana > Missoula