Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana > Missoula
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2008, 06:32 PM

198 posts, read 352,394 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
Headed towards Berkely???
Or Santa Monica
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2008, 10:36 AM

6,023 posts, read 14,004,615 times
More like Venice California if you visit the saturday market,
aka the Missoula Bead N Weed !

Old 05-19-2008, 05:43 PM

2 posts, read 7,875 times
Hello :
I'm new to montana myself, About housing?? I found an apartment complex, downtown. they said they would have an apartment open in about two weeks, so I paid the 50.00 application fee, which I understood was not refundable. and a partial deposit of 200.00 to hold the unit while they repaired it from the last tenant. a week goes by and the manager said they would need more time to do the repairs and painting . while waiting to get into the apart. running down leads on furniture. I find a house that is having a moving sale. The tenants are on their way to another state, and leaving soon. So I contacted the owner of the house, and found I could rent this house for less than the little apartment in town, that I was having a hard time getting a move in date from the apartment manager in town. So I asked for my 200.00 deposit back, knowing that the application fee wasn't refundable. I was told "it" , meaning the 200.00 partial deposit wasn't refundable either. That is a partial damage deposit. If I have never even set foot into the apartment , How could I have caused any damage to the unit to be refused my deposit????????? If you have a lead on any legal avenue or any governing body over rentals, I would appreciate any help, as I am not a student at the college, I have ran out of phone numbers to call . Including the mayors office. It seems there ins't a governing body for Lanlords and renters????

Old 05-19-2008, 06:45 PM

1,639 posts, read 4,693,177 times
MONTPIRG is a local public interest group and I believe they have some renter resources.

Unfortunately, it seems that a landlords first instinct is to screw_you whether it's legal or not, so you will probably have to make some noise if you want to get your money back.

Old 05-19-2008, 07:05 PM

22,974 posts, read 26,887,028 times
Call the county attorney's office and explain your situation. Either they will take interest or will steer you where you need to go. Unfortunately Montana is in the stone ages when it comes to consumer laws and usually to get anything done you have to sue people. They always wonder why the courts are so tied up, well there's one reason.

Old 05-20-2008, 12:51 PM

6,023 posts, read 14,004,615 times
There is a scam that a few apartment managers try to pull off. They advertise an apartment for rent and pocket the application fees.

Old 05-21-2008, 03:37 AM

140 posts, read 604,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
Call the county attorney's office and explain your situation. Either they will take interest or will steer you where you need to go. Unfortunately Montana is in the stone ages when it comes to consumer laws and usually to get anything done you have to sue people. They always wonder why the courts are so tied up, well there's one reason.
You don't need 'consumer laws,' you need educated consumers. We have over the top consumer laws here in NY and still wind up in useless courts trying to find a semblance of justice. What we do need are caring, concerned public officials and workers in the many systems and organizations that already exist, since this is one of the reasons we pay taxes. If nobody cares laws are useless - like a bell without clappers.

Old 05-25-2008, 03:52 PM

8 posts, read 30,616 times
jojo is pretty plain speakin but not far off the mark. I have little kids. i wouldnt hang out in missoula much. too many oddballs and way to liberal for me. I love people but some people are working too hard at being "free".

Old 01-22-2009, 03:59 AM

83 posts, read 315,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickers View Post
Well I don't want to jump into any argument about how bad or good Missoula is but one thing I do know, and that is that Missoula is not in the middle of the Bitterroot Valley ! It is located at the northern end of the Bitterroot Valley just east of the confluence of the Bitterroot River and the larger Clark Fork River.
The Bitterroot Valley does not end with Missoula. It runs all the way up to Thompson Falls which places Missoula right in the middle of the Bitterroot. Consult your US Geological survey map for specifics. And surprise, maybe even an old dog can learn new tricks.

Old 01-22-2009, 01:37 PM

41 posts, read 143,173 times
For a small city, Missoula has a lot going on. There's definitely always something to do, indoors and outdoors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana > Missoula