U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana > Missoula
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2015, 06:49 AM

1,368 posts, read 2,903,582 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by b5balcom View Post
Is Missoula a good place to raise children?
Is the crime rate minimal?
Any views of the school system appreciated!
Is the cost of living high?
I'm in the medical field, PCT in a Dialysis unit to be exact, and my husband is a pipe fitter. Does anyone know if these pay scales are decent?
I'm going to school to further my education? Does the college there have a good nursing program?
On average, what does around 20 acres of land go for?
We are avid hunters and love to fish! Am I really going to get shamed for engaging in these activities like I had read above?
Nothing is set in stone but we really love the Pic's etc that we have seen of Missoula and would like to know 👆 from the locals before digging deeper into this.
Thanks in advance
1) I think Missoula is average for Montana for raising children. The schools are good and the average student that pays attention and takes college prep classes can get into the universities.
2) The cost of living is high. Use PayScale - Cost of Living Calculator for more info.
3) You won't be making more than where you are now as that position isn't highly trained like an RN. Your husband will take a 50% cut as Missoula has lost a lot of its heavy industry. Outside of the breweries, I can't think of another place that needs industrial pipe fitters. If he can qualify as a residential/commercial plumber, he'll do better.
4) Nursing school is through Montana State in Bozeman. UM basically will charge you to take your general core classes and require a transfer for a year and then possibly accept you to take clinicals in Missoula. IMHO, don't waste your time with this and just go to MSU-online. Being a UM student doesn't even guarantee football tickets anymore.
5) Others may have a better idea but I think 20 acres of something decent will be 300k-500k to start and with a house you're in the 800k to 1 MM range.
6) No. You'll probably be fine provided you don't want to block off everyone else's right to hunt and fish.

I'd recommend Billings. It's not as pretty but your husband will be able to find work between 3 refineries and the pipeline companies. Billings is also the medical hub for MT, ND, SD, and N. Wyo so there are plenty of healthcare positions. MSU-Billings also has a large number of nursing students doing clinicals at the hospitals there and the main MSU campus in Bozeman is 2 hours away for your entry-level BSN courses.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana > Missoula