U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana > Missoula
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-11-2013, 11:09 AM

14 posts, read 24,568 times

Advertisements

Whats up with the bicycling laws in Missoula?
Let me first state I am totally supportive of riding a bicycle any time you can. Its good for you and for the environment.
But come on people, use your heads. I was taught bicycle safety when I was 5.
After a very short time here, I have notices the total disreguard for safety or even common sense as soon as many of these people hit the seat.
I am a mailman and am out on the streets all day, so I see a lot.
I have nearly hit or been hit by a bicyclist way too many times already.
At first I though, OK maybe Missoula doesnt have the same laws Im used to. But guess what....they do. They are just ignored and not enforced. Many violations Ive seen done right in front of a police officer.
The bottom line is basically, if you cant do it in a car you cant do it on a bicycle. Its a red light, observe it. Its a sidewalk not a bike path. You DO NOT have the right of way to ride out into traffic any time you want and expect everyone to stop for you. Its a crosswalk. If you want to walk your bike across it, feel free, I will yeild to you. And no.....you can not ride against the flow of traffic.The only exception to this is.....if youre under 15 you can ride on the sidewalk unless in a business district.
So just use your heads. I will respect you, but I expect you to respect me too. I dont want anyone hurt. You or me.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana > Missoula