Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana > Missoula
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2008, 05:57 PM

6,023 posts, read 14,059,923 times

Advertisements

I got a copy of The Missoulian today and as usual there was a lot of good usable stuff in the "To Give Away" column of the classified section.
Besides the usual dogs and cats that people try to get rid of, there was also an ad for two free peacocks and another one for two free llamas !
I once saw in those free ads where someone was giving away a player piano piano that worked ! A person has to get the paper the day before if possible and get up pretty early in the morning to grab those goodies !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2008, 05:39 PM

1,436 posts, read 3,301,450 times
Free Lamas....I see those TV commercials all the time saying that they are great investments and such and that everyone should have a lama farm and yada yada yada.....

Pretty good investment when you pay cash for it, feed the sucker for a period of time, take care of the vet bills then give it away.......Another Warren Buffet in the works .

Old 01-05-2008, 07:10 AM

There is a big llama rescue farm here. They come from all over the country. If you drive around our valley on the dirt roads you'll drive by lots of cattle but there are a few pastures with bison, goats, sheep, and llamas. I was temped to go and get the free llamas and peacocks but my wife put her foot down ! I would have had a giant feast for the neighborhood ! I really don't want puddles of blood all over my garage and I really don't have the stomach for home butchering, that's why I never go hunting. The thought of getting something of value for free is always intriguing.

Old 01-05-2008, 01:06 PM

Ya, you could have one hell of a block party feast. I bet those peacocks would be tasty.....probably just like turkey. I wonder if llama tastes good?

Potential party with a feast of all feasts and the wife put her foot down ay, sounds like you and I have a lot in common!

Old 01-05-2008, 04:03 PM

Peacocks are eaten in Asia sometimes. My mother grew up in China and she told me that she had heard of peacocks being eaten as well as dog, but she never had the chance to eat any. I think I ate dog in Mexico once !

Old 01-05-2008, 04:06 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,041,465 times
I've been around them, but I don't know if I've every eaten them. llama's, and peacocks. hahahahaha They look good, maybe should try them. I've eaten rattle snake, but haven't tried llama.

Old 01-05-2008, 04:59 PM

When my grandfather bought his retirement ranch in Nevada he got an old Indian who seemed to come with the place. There was a little one room shack just where the sierras rise up at the edge of the valley outside of Genoa. He didn't pay rent, heck I don't think he used money at all ! He lived on squirrels and jack rabbits and drank from the creek. There was a pile of bones ten feet high behind the shack. I think his name was Henry and he was really shy of people, he would just sit outside and listen to the birds and the creek all day. Us kids were afraid of him for some reason. I have a lot of good memories from staying on the ranch when I wasn't in school in San Diego. I caught my first fish in that creek on "Dadaws Ranch", just a stick with a piece of fishing line tied on. One small hook with a fresh dug worm did the trick for the tastiest little trout I've ever eaten ! We cooked them up on a wood cook stove in a pan with butter.

Old 01-05-2008, 08:57 PM

16,488 posts, read 24,471,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephan_K View Post
Free Lamas....I see those TV commercials all the time saying that they are great investments and such and that everyone should have a lama farm and yada yada yada.....

Pretty good investment when you pay cash for it, feed the sucker for a period of time, take care of the vet bills then give it away.......Another Warren Buffet in the works .
Those are not llamas, they are Alpacas, which is different. LLamas used to be profitable a number of years ago but now people give them away often. No one wants to pay much if anything for them anymore. Even if you get one for free you need to provide it with a good fenced area to roam, a high enough fence that they cannot jump (and they can jump higher than you think!), feed, hay, shots once a year, medical care etc. You also either need more than one or need them to be watching a flock of sheep or goats. They are very social and need the company of at least one other animal all the time or they can deteriorate and die.

Old 01-05-2008, 09:23 PM

6,259 posts, read 14,670,675 times
Default Was that a spit wad or ya just happy to see me

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokencrayola View Post
Those are not llamas, they are Alpacas, which is different. LLamas used to be profitable a number of years ago but now people give them away often. No one wants to pay much if anything for them anymore. Even if you get one for free you need to provide it with a good fenced area to roam, a high enough fence that they cannot jump (and they can jump higher than you think!), feed, hay, shots once a year, medical care etc. You also either need more than one or need them to be watching a flock of sheep or goats. They are very social and need the company of at least one other animal all the time or they can deteriorate and die.
Yep, lots of "hobby" farmers have the llamas, the alpacas have a fairly profitable wool product, either way if i had lots of money to flush i would have a few of either just because they always look irritated and put upon then spit-chooee

Old 01-05-2008, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokencrayola View Post
Those are not llamas, they are Alpacas, which is different.
ok, six one way, half a dozen the another.........but do they taste good .

there is something so wrong with me sometimes. excuse my humor!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana > Missoula