U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana > Missoula
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2013, 11:22 AM

297 posts, read 716,680 times

Advertisements

MerleLady, "best" mode of transportation is whatever works best for you. The city bus line, Mountain Line (their mascot is a mountain lion, nice pun) is very good and is imo better for traveling to and from UM campus because parking your own car there is a nightmare. Bike riding is very big here, but can be difficult in the winter.
Rate this post positively

Old 09-19-2013, 11:03 PM

15 posts, read 42,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heart View Post
I learned about it after moving here. Then I started to do some searching on my own

Pioneer Little Europe Kalispell Montana
That woman is disgusting.

Old 09-20-2013, 12:24 AM

1 posts, read 2,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L.A.CityGirl View Post
Hi Everyone,

I'm a mixed-race black female in my early 40's, married to a wonderful (though sometimes crotchety), white man in his mid-50's. He is a native Montanan, but lived in Seattle for 20 years before moving here to L.A. to be with me a few years ago.

How do say this? My hubby HATES California, especially L.A., lol! He cannot stand how people are so superficial out here, or the way they drive (rudely), or how people here are inconsiderate etc. There are many reasons he hates it here and no amount of nice weather will make him want to stay.

In spite of the fact that I grew up in L.A., I don't blame him one bit for hating L.A. I'm at the point where I too, want to get away and move somewhere where things are a bit more sane. So we are planning to move to Missoula in a couple of months, since he lived there before (he grew up in Great Falls). I started researching Montana and particularly Missoula and though I've always known Montana doesn't have a sizeable black population (or other non-white races for that matter), I was pretty taken aback to see that the number of black people in Missoula is 239.

Aside from the countless times I've been the only black person in a crowd of people (like a heavy metal night
club or rock concert), I have always been in a racially mixed environment. L.A. is a huge melting pot of people from different countries, different races, as well as many, many mixed-race persons of all races. There is no shortage of eating at restaurants that serve foods that are Mexican, Indian, Peruvian, Japanese, Chilean, Brazilian, Ethiopian and many others.

So what should I expect living in Missoula as black person #240? Can I expect people to assume the worst stereotype one would have about a black female? As an interracial couple, will my hubby and I be getting The Look? Are there places in Montana that a black person avoids for safety reasons (i.e. KKK?) I hope I haven't offended anyone with these questions. I'm honestly wanting to know what should I expect in Missoula, as well as the entire state in general.

As for dining and entertainment, I already know since Missoula is small, there are very few restaurants that serve food from other countries, and I couldn't find if there are any venues for big-name acts. What are things you can do in Missoula for recreation?

Thanks in advance for your answers.
Great post! I'm so over LA--at least right now, but I'm not originally from there. I'm a Black male and considering moving somewhere like MT or ID. I don't have any kids and I'm single, but I'm just yearning for a more lowkey lifestyle. Besides the geography out there is just amazing.

I haven't figured out how I will make it happen, but I could totally see myself living out there.

Old 04-21-2014, 04:20 PM

13 posts, read 24,131 times
In the 2 years I've lived in missoula... I've seen about 3 black people total.

Old 04-21-2014, 05:20 PM

7,834 posts, read 13,451,781 times
There seem to be quite a few black folks around Bozeman now. Far as I've seen, no one pays 'em any special mind, they's just folks.

Old 04-24-2014, 06:45 PM

28 posts, read 53,326 times
I don't think one "feels" or knows racism unless one is of the minority crowd. (That also goes for white people living in a "majority minority" community).

Being one of 239 black people in a city the size of Missoula would be hard, no matter how progressive it is.

That said, hooray for folks of (not white) race bringing some flavor out west. I get tired of milk toast.

Old 04-24-2014, 06:47 PM

Funny but true story--friend came over for a visit and was scared to death. Thought she was in for a lynching by a white mob.

No white mob, but some Mexicans stole her kid's shoes, so now she's scared of Mexicans.

Old 04-24-2014, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoponies View Post
That said, hooray for folks of (not white) race bringing some flavor out west. I get tired of milk toast.
Ha... one of the few things I miss about Los Angeles is seeing lovely black faces. Make my eyes feel good, they do.

Old 04-24-2014, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reziac View Post
Ha... one of the few things I miss about Los Angeles is seeing lovely black faces. Make my eyes feel good, they do.

I know, right.

Black people = better looking than us pale, melanin-challenged, anemic slices of Wonder Bread.

Old 04-24-2014, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoponies View Post
Black people = better looking than us pale, melanin-challenged, anemic slices of Wonder Bread.
Frequently the case! and more imagination when it comes to hair and clothes, too!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana > Missoula