Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana > Missoula
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2010, 02:44 PM

43 posts, read 82,699 times

Advertisements

Thanks for the posts about firewood and to know that it is a myth about creosote build up in the chimney. I will look forward to having wood heat. I have also found the website that ranks the BTUs of different species of wood: Firewood (http://www.woodheat.org/firewood/firewood.htm - broken link)

Is there a way to manage the forest to reduce forest fires or is it just part of mother nature's cycle in the northwest?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2010, 03:04 PM

836 posts, read 1,492,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nwbound27 View Post
Is there a way to manage the forest to reduce forest fires or is it just part of mother nature's cycle in the northwest?
This is a great debate. I would say the latter is true. It is nature's way of cleaning out and regenerating overgrown forests and has been going on for thousands of years.

However, a lot of blame goes around. Some environmentalists blame loggers, for taking out large trees which don't burn as readily and creating slash piles which burn easily. Other people blame environmentalists, who they say have enacted laws and regulations that prohibit proper "forest management" and allow too much growth, crowding the forest and making blazes easier to spread.

Oh, and there is the matter of the pine beetle as well, which kills trees and, depending whom you talk to, either makes forests more or less susceptible to fire.

Some years are good fire years, others bad, depends on how much precipitation we've gotten.

Old 12-26-2010, 07:48 PM

Thanks for the insight into the problem. Just like most issues, it is way more complicated than what most people may believe to be true.

Old 12-30-2010, 12:05 PM

10,350 posts, read 13,940,699 times
I lived near Missoula for a year and I don't really remember a strong smell from the paper mill. It was there but I don't remember it being overpowering. The smog could be bad at times. My problem with Missoula was the people. There are some friendly people there, but there is an air of pretentiousness as well as lots of people who hate everyone who is not from Montana. People say it is a liberal town but I found many of the people there and in the surrounding areas to be the most backward I have ever met. Also keep in mind Montana wages are LOW.

Old 12-31-2010, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoEagle View Post
I lived near Missoula for a year and I don't really remember a strong smell from the paper mill. It was there but I don't remember it being overpowering. The smog could be bad at times. My problem with Missoula was the people. There are some friendly people there, but there is an air of pretentiousness as well as lots of people who hate everyone who is not from Montana. People say it is a liberal town but I found many of the people there and in the surrounding areas to be the most backward I have ever met. Also keep in mind Montana wages are LOW.

Thanks for your response. It is amazing that folks don't want new people coming to their state, no matter which state. I hear the same sentiments in the state I live and I was born and raised here. As a christian I just don't get how that is being a good witness, because this area is suppose to be predominately christian.
Wages are low, but for professionals in MT they are really low and don't match the cost of living. If I can't come that will be the reason, not the weather, politics, or the people.
Thanks again!

Old 12-31-2010, 11:01 AM

10,350 posts, read 13,940,699 times
Smart choice nwbound. Wages and cost of living should be the primary reason for moving somewhere. People, weather, politics, (and scenery) should always come after wage and cost of living. Good luck on your move.

Old 12-31-2010, 04:56 PM

19,750 posts, read 22,661,296 times
I'm not disagreeing with you but I don't know about all that.. If I stayed in the Eastern Panhandle of WV I could've commuted to Northern Virginia, MD or even D.C. and easily made twice what I did in WV, even though it was only 68 miles away..

The commute, the stress, and the headaches aren't worth it in my book. Instead of spending 2 hours commuting every day and being neck deep in the rat race I devoted my time with the Boy Scouts, raising my family and enjoying the outdoors.

For some there is a lot more to life than a fat paycheck, and I'm firmly in that camp. I feel fortunate to have a good paying job here in MT, so life for me is damn near complete.

Just my .02 for whatever it's worth..

Old 12-31-2010, 05:36 PM

Thanks Threerun, you are right wages are not everything, but I expect a living wage which is nowhere near a big fat pay check for me. I am single not looking to get married, so I also have to be practical when it comes to where I live. I don't want to be part of that rat race either and am willing to sacrifice by living a simpler life. The cost of living increase in MT would put me in a small house that I would consider a dump where I live now. I don't mind a small house at all, but am really concerned about safe neighborhoods. Thanks again!

Old 12-31-2010, 07:54 PM
CTC

668 posts, read 1,466,669 times
oh it smells. Icky etc etc
lets see-do you use paper products?
have you considered that these jobs at the papermill are good paying with bennies etc and are actually PRODUCING a needed product which might even be sold for cash??

When I lived in Billings it was "oh the refineries are so ugly how can you stand it?

there are environmental laws in place-chill out\\\\\

Old 12-31-2010, 07:56 PM

19,750 posts, read 22,661,296 times
Well where there is a will there is a way. According to my friends that lived inside the Beltway I was making 'peanuts', but my wife and I managed to live in a modest house, be watchful of our money and live a good life. Not ric, and certainly not living wages according to my friends, but it was a lifestyle we choose.

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana > Missoula