Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana > Missoula
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-27-2012, 12:01 PM

203 posts, read 496,830 times

Advertisements

I think I have read through all the threads at this point. I see all the Cons folks have had to say. But what are the Pros?

Thx!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2012, 12:31 PM

67 posts, read 159,247 times
In MSO, there is something for everyone. You can find ultra conservative groups to join or the most liberal people on the face of the earth. There is always something to do for any age group, including seniors. The park system is excellent, so even those without much money can entertain the family without spending a fortune. The town is fairly compact compared to other places, so you can be anywhere in less than 15 minutes. For such a small town, there is a fair choice of private schools for children. Homeschooling groups and choices in the area are active and excellent! There are lots of locally owned interesting shops. There are summer and winter mountain and water activities. You will never feel out of place walking or riding your bicycle somewhere, practically everyone else is also (not just the kids). At a major four-way traffic light, everyone might be stopped for the deer to cross. Hope this helps.

Old 06-06-2012, 08:39 PM

227 posts, read 465,039 times
What you WON'T find is affordable housing for the basic pay range for most jobs and decent paying jobs on top of it.

Unless you brought money with you from elsewhere or are a doctor, lawyer, very good real estate agent, dentist.

Old 06-11-2012, 11:33 PM

10,349 posts, read 13,943,865 times
Considering how many cons have been posted on City Data I would probably conclude there aren't a whole lot of pros. I think 1ceTr0n summed it up.

Old 06-12-2012, 02:10 AM

1,153 posts, read 4,559,266 times
So much unwarranted negativity.

Missoula has character and funk, a charming downtown, beautiful scenery, trees, rivers, etc. And it's really not that expensive; the only cheaper areas are generally in the plains, midwest, and south. Granted, wages DO suck, but for those of us who've been lucky enough to exceed the average wage here, Missoula and Montana are great. Haters gonna hate.

Old 06-12-2012, 09:06 AM

297 posts, read 794,986 times
By living in a university town, you have the benefits that go with that -- concerts, plays, lectures, and the opportunity to take classes. Also sporting events, of course.

I live in Missoula and often have a love-hate relationship with it, although I've been here over 20 years and so the love wins out, obviously. Missoula is a strange bird. I read of it described once as "a melting pot that refuses to melt," and completely agree. There are great things like Out to Lunch and the Farmer's Markets in the summer, and more recreational opportunities than you can possibly do in all seasons.

Missoula is the liberal "black sheep" of Montana and that's why, I think, it gets a lot of negativity from the rest of the state.

Old 10-22-2014, 12:14 AM

1 posts, read 4,013 times
Default east to west

Yes, another "moving" post. I am a CNY east coaster (love winters as much as other seasons) and I;m looking to move to Missoula for the amazing trout and salmon fishing mostly. I also saw that there are some ski areas around and that's great too. I'm a single 29 yo with a 6yo black lab. That's just about it. I am in the healthcare field (phlebotomist). All in all, really, how great is Missoula for someone my age? I come from a small-ish town (Marcellus) and am used to the 1-of-everything kind of village/small town and I can get used to that easily, as I work in the city and family lives in a highly-populated area, so my mind and body as accumulated to all areas of living. I also lived in Dillon, CO for a while. Im avid in fishing (A LOT), mtn biking, lots of hiking and being outdoors as much as I can. any information would be greatly helpful. I just have been dying to get out there for years now.

Old 11-05-2014, 12:31 PM

203 posts, read 496,830 times
Default We have a match.

You are the poster child of what Missoula has going on right now. Age. Check. Dog. Lab. Check. Employment. Medical Field. Check. You are all set.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana > Missoula