U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana > Missoula
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-28-2014, 02:05 PM

9 posts, read 13,726 times

Advertisements

Husband and I made a deal: If he moved from Pasco WA to live with me and my kids in Baltimore, I'd move back West with him when my youngest graduated HS.

That graduation is 3 years hence.

We have started our search for the just right new home and fresh start to our already incredibly happy lives.

I'm a teacher with a Masters in Special Education. I've been a classroom teacher from Pre 1st through 8th grade. I've got a Maryland Teaching Certificate. I also have a certificate in Leadership from Johns Hopkins.

We fell in LOVE with Missoula and know about the smoke (yikes) and the cloud cover through much of the winter. I've read this forum pretty thoroughly and am familiar with the depressed pay scale.

So....

What about teaching positions?

The MT gov't website has several job openings all over MT but none for Missoula. The stated pay for teachers on the official Missoula website is more than ample for our needs, provided my IT husband can find a job that will pay him something. But I don't see any Missoula teaching positions available..which is odd. This is hiring time for public school teachers back East.

I would LOVE any information you have on the education situation in Missoula. I'll follow any suggested links as well.

We are starting this process 3 years early because (as has been said many times on this forum) doing our homework is of paramount importance.

Thank you in advance for your advice!

--Pam
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2014, 06:14 PM

18,696 posts, read 38,417,336 times
Hi Pam, welcome to the forum.

Probably not what you want to hear, but, Montana's pay for teachers is really low. I know you like Missoula, However, I would take a look at Wyoming where the pay is nearly double what Montana offers. No state income tax helps. With your credentials, it is at least worth a look-see. Our schools are well funded, in that in 1920, 55% of the state was set aside as state owned land and it is leased to ranchers. The cost of the lease is tied to the school budget and that is the base for funding. On top of that the oil and gas taxes fund the rest. There are only about 4 counties that actually have a school mil. levy on their personal property tax.

Like I said, well worth checking out. You might also post in the Wyoming forum.

Old 07-28-2014, 08:54 PM

8,651 posts, read 10,563,615 times
ElkHunter is 100% correct on this. Montana's teacher pay is dismal. If your husband can't find a job and you try to make it on a teacher wage alone or a teacher wage plus a minimum wage (Missoula does not have many good paying jobs) you will find yourself hurting. Check out Wyoming. You get the same quality of life as you would in Montana.

Old 07-28-2014, 09:35 PM

So... where do you recommend I look? We drove through just a tiny corner of Wyoming on our way out West--and it is GORGEOUS. I'd love some recommendations

Old 07-28-2014, 10:19 PM

8,651 posts, read 10,563,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pam.C View Post
So... where do you recommend I look? We drove through just a tiny corner of Wyoming on our way out West--and it is GORGEOUS. I'd love some recommendations
It's a big state. What size town are you looking for? Cheyenne and Casper are the only two that are around the same size as Missoula. Also what kind of landscape do you want? There are mountainous areas, plains, and high desert. We can help you here or if you post on the Wyoming forum there are plenty of other helpful locals.

Old 07-29-2014, 06:34 AM

I posted on the Wyoming forum. I'm still hoping to find out more information about Missoula, though. We are open to anywhere out West.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana > Missoula
View detailed profiles of: