U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana > Missoula
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-05-2014, 08:20 AM

4 posts, read 17,725 times

Advertisements

My family and I are considering moving to Missoula. I have a few questions and concerns.

First job wise we should be fine my wife is an. ICU and ER RN
I will be going back to school to get my RN I already have a bachelors in psychology.
My oldest wants to be a radiology tech
We have researched the schools and programs already, but any info would be nice.

About us:
Both my wife and I grew up in small town Missouri. We are both army vets.
I love to hunt,family loves to fish. We all love our guns.
Eventually I would like to end up in a small town outside of Missoula,I prefer small town.
I am a volunteer firefighter.
My wife also like to be heavily involved in helping the community. Example Red Cross

I have 3 girls 18,14,8

I have a few concerns:

1st is housing we have 5 dogs( one maybe leaving us soon) and 3 cats. We would like to try and rent to see where we want to end up. Is this possible and if anyone can give a range on amounts.

2nd My oldest daughter is Gay This is where we get a bit concerned. I 100% support her. In a nut shell I am very right wing except when it comes to this. Trying to find a happy median has been hard. I don't want to move her to place where she is totally uncomfortable. I just want to know how bad is it with gay bashing or hatred. I don't expect it to be widely excepted just want to make sure its not so bad that she will feel hunted.

3rd. Carry conceal laws ( yes I have looked them up) I would like a first hand account about what it's like. Currently I live in New Mexico and I can pretty much carry every where but schools and the hospital. I don't drink so bars aren't a concern.

Other interest are gaming stores (yes I'm a gamer geek). The mall for my wife and kids. And any cost of living issues. I saw some things about registering vehicles.

Thank you all for your time and info.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2014, 10:12 AM

18,696 posts, read 38,317,282 times
Montana passes a law, similar to Wyoming, in that there is no need for a CCW permit. However, Montana did not tack on a state premtion rider, so some towns you can not carry concealed unless you have a permit. Wyoming's law is state wide and towns can not modify the law.

You can still get a permit (advised because you have reciprrocacy with other states) but it is not needed once you become a resident. Make sure you know local laws, once you figure out where you are going to settle down.

Old 08-06-2014, 12:34 AM

Location: Approximately 50 miles from Missoula MT/38 yrs full time after 4 yrs part time
2,309 posts, read 3,615,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snaps forever View Post
...(My opinions and comments below are embolden...My family and I are considering moving to Missoula. I have a few questions and concerns.

I will be going back to school to get my RN I already have a bachelors in psychology.
We have researched the schools and programs already, but any info would be nice.
Hamilton, MT., approx 50 miles south of Missoula, has Marcus Daly Hospital. At the present time they are adding an ICU WING on to the hospital complex. I think the timing for your wife would be perfect. Missoula ,as you know, has two hospitals.

About us:
I love to hunt,family loves to fish. We all love our guns. You'll fit right in!
Eventually I would like to end up in a small town outside of Missoula,I prefer small town.
I am a volunteer firefighter. Great!
My wife also like to be heavily involved in helping the community. Example Red Cross

I have 3 girls 18,14,8

I have a few concerns:

1st is housing we have 5 dogs( one maybe leaving us soon) and 3 cats. We would like to try and rent to see where we want to end up.Very good idea! Is this possible and if anyone can give a range on amounts.

2nd My oldest daughter is Gay Missoula is "far more Liberal" than the Hamilton area...that being said, I really don't see any problems for your oldest daughter. This is where we get a bit concerned. I 100% support her. In a nut shell I am very right wing except when it comes to this. Trying to find a happy median has been hard. I don't want to move her to place where she is totally uncomfortable. I just want to know how bad is it with gay bashing or hatred. I don't expect it to be widely excepted just want to make sure its not so bad that she will feel hunted.

3rd. Carry conceal laws ( yes I have looked them up) I would like a first hand account about what it's like...Many of us "carry" here in the Bitterroot Valley.......you'll be in "good company". Currently I live in New Mexico and I can pretty much carry every where but schools and the hospital. I don't drink so bars aren't a concern.

Other interest are gaming stores (yes I'm a gamer geek). The mall for my wife and kids. And any cost of living issues. I saw some things about registering vehicles. The cost-of-living in the Missoula/Hamilton area is rated at approx 107 vs 100 for the U.S.

.......Good Luck

Old 08-06-2014, 10:33 AM

100 posts, read 187,512 times
Quote:
1st is housing we have 5 dogs( one maybe leaving us soon) and 3 cats. We would like to try and rent to see where we want to end up. Is this possible and if anyone can give a range on amounts.
Only a slum lord would rent to someone with 5 dogs and 3 cats.

Quote:
3rd. Carry conceal laws ( yes I have looked them up) I would like a first hand account about what it's like. Currently I live in New Mexico and I can pretty much carry every where but schools and the hospital. I don't drink so bars aren't a concern.
If your gun is concealed no one knows you have it . ?

If people know you are carrying you are asking for trouble. Same as everywhere people will wonder why you are toting a weapon around. Cop ? thug ? trouble maker ?

Old 08-18-2014, 05:55 PM

138 posts, read 235,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blendin View Post
If people know you are carrying you are asking for trouble. Same as everywhere people will wonder why you are toting a weapon around. Cop ? thug ? trouble maker ?
Yep. That's why we carry concealed.

Just wanted to say a hello to Snaps Forever as we currently live in NM and Missoula is on our short list of possible areas to relocate to.

Old 08-25-2014, 08:37 AM

First off I want to thank Elk Hunter and Montana Griz for the information. Also want to say Hey! to DagnyT63. After extensive research, and some firsthand information from my wife's friend it sounds like the Missoula area is for us. We would like to live within thirty minutes to one hour of Missoula and looking to move there in the summer of 2015. So anyone else reading this with any information regarding housing would be appreciated. Blendin as far as your comments are concerned we have lived in the same house in a nice neighborhood for four years and our landlord is more than willing to provide a good reference for us. I am prior cop and correction officer as well as Army Veteran and am a responsible gun owner and carry appropriately and responsibly. Not all gun owners and or carriers are thugs or trouble makers. Any and all information in anticipation for our move is appreciated.

Old 08-27-2014, 02:43 PM

4 posts, read 12,782 times
Quote:
My family and I are considering moving to Missoula. I have a few questions and concerns.

About us:
I love to hunt,family loves to fish. We all love our guns.
I am a volunteer firefighter.

I have 3 girls 18,14,8

I have a few concerns:

2nd My oldest daughter is Gay This is where we get a bit concerned. I 100% support her. In a nut shell I am very right wing except when it comes to this. Trying to find a happy median has been hard. I don't want to move her to place where she is totally uncomfortable. I just want to know how bad is it with gay bashing or hatred. I don't expect it to be widely excepted just want to make sure its not so bad that she will feel hunted.

Other interest are gaming stores (yes I'm a gamer geek). The mall for my wife and kids. And any cost of living issues. I saw some things about registering vehicles.

Snaps-

I saw your post and thought I forgot that I posted something..LOL.. I am from Missouri and we want to move to Montana too. We are looking in the same area. I too am wondering how land prices are- jobs- and hunting-- We hope to move in a year or so. Just gotta save some money- good luck and if you get there before me- I will be jealous!!!

Old 08-28-2014, 06:28 AM

That's awesome! We are actually from Missouri too. Good luck on your search.

Old 09-27-2014, 07:48 AM

35 posts, read 60,618 times
I was there for two months and decided not to stay. We were looking in March to April. Finding a rental home in a decent area was nearly impossible for us. We were looking to buy and finding a 4 bedroom house in a good neighborhood in Hellgate district had us going north of $300K which was high to me.

St. Pats is a hospital with a good reputation, just make sure there are jobs to be had.

As far as your daughter. I am also a conservative father of 3. I understand it may be tough, but I doubt you will ever regret loving her despite her sexual orientation. Missoula is a college town so it will be more liberal by default. It's motto is "Keep Missoula Weird" so it isn't your usual Western Cowboy town.

Old 10-18-2014, 03:53 PM

7 posts, read 22,312 times
One thing you need to know about Missoula--it's what some people have called a "talent pool". There are so many overqualified people living there, as opposed to somewhere else where they could make MUCH more money. So you can expect wages to be quite a bit lower than elsewhere. For instance, in nursing--a number of years ago, ('90s) the going rate for RNs in Missoula was about $22/hr. In Portland at that time, nursing jobs were offering over $30. Housing is about the same, so it's quite a stretch for the average earner to afford the average house in Missoula. HOWEVER--culturally, it's a lot more acceptable to be "working poor" in Montana than in Portland. You're not judged nearly so much by how much you make, since it's understood that the most important thing is to be able to live in Montana!! :-)

A friend's daughter is a radiology tech there and went through the program at St. Pat's and took a position right away at the other hospital. That's been a number of years ago, so I don't know what it's like now.

A nice small town about a half hour from Missoula is Stevensville. It's pretty small, but has some shopping and will get you by day-to-day. For real shopping you'll have to make the trip (28 miles) to Missoula. Btw--Hwy 93, which connects the two, and continues south to Hamilton, is "commuter alley". It's about the busiest stretch of highway in Montana. There's a bumper sticker that reads, "I drive highway 93, pray for me". But compared to roads other places, it's really no problem. Everything's relative!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana > Missoula