U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana > Missoula
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do YOU live in Missoula, MT?
Yes 7 9.72%
No 65 90.28%
Voters: 72. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2018, 08:38 AM

1,467 posts, read 3,822,745 times

Advertisements

https://headwaterseconomics.org/econ...construction/#
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2018, 10:09 PM

7,623 posts, read 5,319,425 times
Missoula is a major city/metro in Montana, but it probably has more in common with WA/OR/ID. It tends to identify more with the PNW than the Rocky Mountain States, though one could argue there is a bit of both.

The area is perhaps the most liberal in a mostly conservative Montana. This isn't to say there are not conservatives in and around Missoula (there are), but the University setting and closeness to the PNW makes it just a bit different from the rest of the State.

Climate is even influenced from their neighbors to west, as Missoula doesn't usually get the extreme cold outbreaks from Canada as areas east do. While Missoula can get cold in the winter, its western location is modifying.

One of the biggest negatives for me would be the isolation of Missoula. There are no large metro areas anywhere around it...the closest being Spokane, atleast three hours away. For a major city, it would be either Seattle or Portland, both over 7 hours away.

Old 10-05-2019, 12:23 PM

3 posts, read 1,502 times
Default Missoula is like the book Picture of Dorian Gray?

At first glance in this boutique gated community (the gate being you have money and SHOW it) seems charming, beautiful, fun...if you are a born and bred third generation Missoulian, this is the place for you.
The city is run by the University (inept to the nth degree), St Pats hospital (medieval medical mindset) and the mental health/homeless services..Missoula lures transplants including homeless low income folks as once hooked up to the system, advocacy organizations make a lot of money, expand and if they are truly non profit, they still use your stats for their credibility. Advocates are so burned out because on every level there are dozens more desperate people with legitimate needs than there are people to help. Because Missoula is a provincial city where favoritism and nepotism is the rule, rather than the meritocracy that one finds in the 21 century elsewhere, this place erodes your soul. It is like accidentally finding your self living in a cult and you don't want to join. Women run this place and this is not a kind city. If a sociologist wants to study mean girls they will find examples all the way up chronologically advanced adults. The folks that thrive in Missoula are possibly the well off, entitled, good looking, had barganing, party people that flourish in nepotism and favoritism and / or they have some sort of leverage in Missoula. If you are on a fixed income and from out of Missoula, you are an outsider. There will be a handful of people that MIGHT befriend you though you may become a burden to them because little is up to code in every way in Msla...you can spend all your energy and time trying to get humane housing...and all you did is try because everyone here is in a hypnosis of helplessness. Downtown, where the festivals, farmers markets and night life is is where pedestrian fatalities have occurred. There are many fatalities of pedestrians and Missoula drivers are in denial of their complicity by failing to raise consciousness. These hypocrites are the biggest climate change whiners yet want those who walk to keep quite about the reckless drivers. The greatest number of calls the police here get downtown are complaints from drivers about pedestrians crossing the street. As of 2018 Montana was nominated forth time in a row for worst driver. If you get something built or installed by a Montana person, have it checked as the states around won't accept what Montana allows. Look at the latest road work..they don't know how to pave level roads so as you walk they make trip hazards all around the city. The hospital parking lot, Front Street, Orange street..the sidewalks now have new concrete trip hazards and I suspect hazards for wheelchair bound or visually impaired people. There is a large Satanic community here, blatant. Missoula is an air stagnation zone which contributes to all this. Missoula (the city) has the highest suicide rate in the NATION. the City of Missoula! And it is wealthy people, locals as well as transients that kill themselves. If you are on a fixed income, in a rocky relationship, have health issues, like a smooth life without being drunk and high to get there, live somewhere open to new people in their lives, that value you for your merits rather than your pedigree. I have progressively become sicker since I moved here and the doctors are clueless. I have to do their work for them and have to navigate their obfucation and obstruction of access to legitimate testing and care. There is a less than 1% vacancy rate for death traps passed off as rentals. The city does not care about your safety, nor does HUD or Human Rights. Or your advocates, for that matter. All people want is more money from you or through you. This is a morally bankrupt city.

Old 12-06-2020, 08:59 PM

3,994 posts, read 3,556,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
Even back in the 1970s, I could never understand why somebody would want to live in Missoula (I lived in Columbia Falls at the time).
Now, I can't understand why anybody would want to live in either Missoula or the Flathead Valley. The enviros killed logging, so the lumber mills are pretty much history. the paper plant is gone, the aluminum plant is gone, there just isn't much industry in either place.
How do people survive selling groceries and clothes to each other?
The changes in the Flathead Valley are so drastic that I can barely stand going there for a few days to attend a class reunion. It is said "You can't go home again!" It is true! The Valley is no longer "home"!
No, 50 years ago or now, I would not live in Missoula.

I ran away from Missoula over 35 years ago ... I, along with most all of the other natives left western Montana to the transplants.

Used to be such a sleepy friendly little town, chocked full of plaid shirts and Elmer Fudd hats, even in spite of the University crowd, which mostly were too broke to even venture far from the Broadway shops and bars, Missoula was a gem all on it's own.

I don't even stop for gas or food when I travel through. I'll fill up in Great Falls, and refill again in Post Falls if I'm heading west, or I'll gas up in Airway Heights if I'm headed east. (I'm not above grabbing a snack in Superior if I'm headed either direction however). I treat Missoula like I treat Spokane, in that I just don't get off the interstate.

Old 12-07-2020, 03:00 PM

3,007 posts, read 2,101,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bless Lord Christ Jesus View Post
At first glance in this boutique gated community (the gate being you have money and SHOW it) seems charming, beautiful, fun...if you are a born and bred third generation Missoulian, this is the place for you.
The city is run by the University (inept to the nth degree), St Pats hospital (medieval medical mindset) and the mental health/homeless services..Missoula lures transplants including homeless low income folks as once hooked up to the system, advocacy organizations make a lot of money, expand and if they are truly non profit, they still use your stats for their credibility. Advocates are so burned out because on every level there are dozens more desperate people with legitimate needs than there are people to help. Because Missoula is a provincial city where favoritism and nepotism is the rule, rather than the meritocracy that one finds in the 21 century elsewhere, this place erodes your soul. It is like accidentally finding your self living in a cult and you don't want to join. Women run this place and this is not a kind city. If a sociologist wants to study mean girls they will find examples all the way up chronologically advanced adults. The folks that thrive in Missoula are possibly the well off, entitled, good looking, had barganing, party people that flourish in nepotism and favoritism and / or they have some sort of leverage in Missoula. If you are on a fixed income and from out of Missoula, you are an outsider. There will be a handful of people that MIGHT befriend you though you may become a burden to them because little is up to code in every way in Msla...you can spend all your energy and time trying to get humane housing...and all you did is try because everyone here is in a hypnosis of helplessness. Downtown, where the festivals, farmers markets and night life is is where pedestrian fatalities have occurred. There are many fatalities of pedestrians and Missoula drivers are in denial of their complicity by failing to raise consciousness. These hypocrites are the biggest climate change whiners yet want those who walk to keep quite about the reckless drivers. The greatest number of calls the police here get downtown are complaints from drivers about pedestrians crossing the street. As of 2018 Montana was nominated forth time in a row for worst driver. If you get something built or installed by a Montana person, have it checked as the states around won't accept what Montana allows. Look at the latest road work..they don't know how to pave level roads so as you walk they make trip hazards all around the city. The hospital parking lot, Front Street, Orange street..the sidewalks now have new concrete trip hazards and I suspect hazards for wheelchair bound or visually impaired people. There is a large Satanic community here, blatant. Missoula is an air stagnation zone which contributes to all this. Missoula (the city) has the highest suicide rate in the NATION. the City of Missoula! And it is wealthy people, locals as well as transients that kill themselves. If you are on a fixed income, in a rocky relationship, have health issues, like a smooth life without being drunk and high to get there, live somewhere open to new people in their lives, that value you for your merits rather than your pedigree. I have progressively become sicker since I moved here and the doctors are clueless. I have to do their work for them and have to navigate their obfucation and obstruction of access to legitimate testing and care. There is a less than 1% vacancy rate for death traps passed off as rentals. The city does not care about your safety, nor does HUD or Human Rights. Or your advocates, for that matter. All people want is more money from you or through you. This is a morally bankrupt city.
Does not sound good at all.

Old 01-20-2021, 01:31 PM

28 posts, read 5,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigskydude View Post
... I treat Missoula like I treat Spokane, in that I just don't get off the interstate.

Old 01-20-2021, 01:39 PM

Old 01-20-2021, 08:39 PM

1,317 posts, read 1,558,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bless Lord Christ Jesus View Post
Paragraphs are your friends.

Old 01-22-2021, 03:57 PM

"Do not move here"

Why?

Old 01-23-2021, 07:59 AM

55,429 posts, read 1,473,172 times
I live in what was a small town when I was young, not that way anymore. People moved here to get away from Indy. I used to know everybody here. I miss the old days. I know how you all feel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana > Missoula