U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana > Missoula
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-10-2017, 12:37 PM

9 posts, read 10,642 times

Advertisements

My boyfriend and I are young adults and currently live in Iowa City with our dog. We love the small size of the city, the plentiful local business, how easily we can walk to downtown, parks, bars, etc., the community feel, and how safe we are here. It's a college town so we enjoy the energetic spirit and the constant citywide events.
We only want to leave for a change of pace and hopefully a closer proximity to outdoor activities. What jobs we are looking for doesn't matter- we're not looking for anything permanent or in any specific field.
My boyfriend wants to check out Missoula, MT, but I was stuck on Athens, GA after doing research about it.
I don't want to live in a big city or anywhere not walkable!
Opinions?
Thanks in advance!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2017, 01:06 PM

41 posts, read 60,096 times
I know absolutely nothing about Athens but I lived in Missoula for many years during the 80s, while much has changed much has stayed the same.

The economy has shifted from high paying natural resource jobs to low paying service level jobs. The population has exploded over the past 30 years. The traffic is horrendous. Rents are ridiculously high. The meth/opioid epidemic has run rampant, along with the crime that follows the drug trade.

Access to the wilderness is literally at your doorstep. Winters are relatively mild by Montana standards. It's a very liberal town (if that's good/bad is up to you). The downtown area is a thriving business district and is very walkable.

I'm admittedly biased but the modern Missoula is a very pale comparison to the Missoula of 30 years ago.

Old 07-10-2017, 01:22 PM

5,894 posts, read 5,477,064 times
The two county Athens GA metro area is 70% more populated (at close to 200,000) than the Missoula metro. Both are good choices. Depends on how you value western wilderness over eastern rec lands, humidity, etc.

Athens metro at 850 per square mile is 23 times the density of Missoula metro. In town densities will be a lot closer though. Athens metro is about 6 times the density of Iowa City metro. Missoula metro 1/4th of Iowa City metro. Athens metro moderately bigger than IC metro, Missoula metro moderately smaller. "Feel" will depend on exactly where you live and what you do.

In town reported crimes (based on FBI collected data) show Athens with twice the violent crime rate as Missoula. Property crimes are close and slightly above national average. Iowa City is a bit safer than Missoula on violent crime and way safer than either on property crime.

Could consider schemes to vacation more but stay in Iowa City or somewhere closer / more similar.

Or maybe also consider Laramie WY and Boone NC if you college town vibrant but smaller than your other choices. Or the long haul Athens is likely to get bigger and even more hooked into Atlanta megaplex. Missoula probably still grows but maybe not as much as in past. Could be slower / bit harder in next 5-15 years. Slower growth can have advantages & disadvantages. They hit people differently.

Last edited by NW Crow; 07-10-2017 at 02:04 PM..

Old 07-10-2017, 09:29 PM

104 posts, read 160,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USMC1967 View Post
I know absolutely nothing about Athens but I lived in Missoula for many years during the 80s, while much has changed much has stayed the same.

The economy has shifted from high paying natural resource jobs to low paying service level jobs. The population has exploded over the past 30 years. The traffic is horrendous. Rents are ridiculously high. The meth/opioid epidemic has run rampant, along with the crime that follows the drug trade.

Access to the wilderness is literally at your doorstep. Winters are relatively mild by Montana standards. It's a very liberal town (if that's good/bad is up to you). The downtown area is a thriving business district and is very walkable.

I'm admittedly biased but the modern Missoula is a very pale comparison to the Missoula of 30 years ago.
My brother-in-law and wife live in Athens and are planning to move. If this matters to you, it is a college town and it is very liberal. They're moving to the outskirts. They also have complained about the crime but that is something that is hard to get away from. Also, the humidity there, of course, is horrendous. It may not be a problem for some but Hubs and I could never live in the south for that reason alone. :-)

Old 07-11-2017, 09:08 AM

8,618 posts, read 10,474,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charliechicken View Post
My boyfriend and I are young adults and currently live in Iowa City with our dog. We love the small size of the city, the plentiful local business, how easily we can walk to downtown, parks, bars, etc., the community feel, and how safe we are here. It's a college town so we enjoy the energetic spirit and the constant citywide events.
We only want to leave for a change of pace and hopefully a closer proximity to outdoor activities. What jobs we are looking for doesn't matter- we're not looking for anything permanent or in any specific field.
My boyfriend wants to check out Missoula, MT, but I was stuck on Athens, GA after doing research about it.
I don't want to live in a big city or anywhere not walkable!
Opinions?
Thanks in advance!
Just make sure you can find good jobs. Cost of living is very high and Montana has some of the lowest wages in the country .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana > Missoula
View detailed profiles of: