Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana > Missoula
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-09-2018, 04:57 PM

65 posts, read 61,382 times

Advertisements

Hi, I'm planning on visiting the area in the spring or fall. On a shoestring more or less. I have a lot of questions if anyone can answer any I'd be thankful.

I'm wondering if there is such a thing as a campground that has no bears? I don't care if it's ugly or near railroad tracks or whatever... I'll be traveling with my Rott mix dog and will get no sleep if there are bears... I'm hoping to put him in day care some days and go quietly photograph wildlife.

How is the buffalo reserve north of Missoula for viewing wildlife? Does anything come within 150 yards of the road? (you're not supposed to get out of the car...) Or are the animals very shy? Do buffalo hate dogs and try to kill them? I know Roosevelt Elk do. You're allowed to bring a dog in the car in the buffalo reserve but I'm thinking it's probably not a very good idea. Even if he doesn't bark in the car.

Are there any other wildlife reserves in the area or east and south that are good for photography/wildlife viewing? I plan on going outside the Tetons and maybe, maybe, one day in Yosemite. I went to Yosemite maybe 15 years ago and only spent a few hours then turned around and went right back to the Tetons... Just too many people. I guess there are even more now.

When does the spring and fall generally start there? First snow? Last snow? Last black ice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2018, 12:21 AM

Oops. That would be Yellowstone, not Yosemite. Sorry, up late tonight...

Old 01-10-2018, 05:44 AM

10,350 posts, read 13,925,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn 123 View Post
Hi, I'm planning on visiting the area in the spring or fall. On a shoestring more or less. I have a lot of questions if anyone can answer any I'd be thankful.

I'm wondering if there is such a thing as a campground that has no bears? I don't care if it's ugly or near railroad tracks or whatever... I'll be traveling with my Rott mix dog and will get no sleep if there are bears... I'm hoping to put him in day care some days and go quietly photograph wildlife.

How is the buffalo reserve north of Missoula for viewing wildlife? Does anything come within 150 yards of the road? (you're not supposed to get out of the car...) Or are the animals very shy? Do buffalo hate dogs and try to kill them? I know Roosevelt Elk do. You're allowed to bring a dog in the car in the buffalo reserve but I'm thinking it's probably not a very good idea. Even if he doesn't bark in the car.

Are there any other wildlife reserves in the area or east and south that are good for photography/wildlife viewing? I plan on going outside the Tetons and maybe, maybe, one day in Yosemite. I went to Yosemite maybe 15 years ago and only spent a few hours then turned around and went right back to the Tetons... Just too many people. I guess there are even more now.

When does the spring and fall generally start there? First snow? Last snow? Last black ice?
In the Missoula area short of a KOA, every place is bear country. That being said, there are people who spend their lives camping in Montanan and never see a bear. Then National Bison Range has excellent wildlife viewing. Bison may get close to the car but unlikely to charge with or without a dog. The same goes for elk. Incidentally, the elk subspecies here is Rocky Mountain. They are smaller than Roosevelt but have bigger antlers.

Glacier National Park is the closest park. Yellowstone and Grand Teton are a day's drive away.

Snow can happen in the high elevations year round. Generally (but not always) main roads are clear by mid to late April.

Old 01-10-2018, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDak15 View Post
In the Missoula area short of a KOA, every place is bear country. That being said, there are people who spend their lives camping in Montanan and never see a bear. Then National Bison Range has excellent wildlife viewing. Bison may get close to the car but unlikely to charge with or without a dog. The same goes for elk. Incidentally, the elk subspecies here is Rocky Mountain. They are smaller than Roosevelt but have bigger antlers.

Glacier National Park is the closest park. Yellowstone and Grand Teton are a day's drive away.

Snow can happen in the high elevations year round. Generally (but not always) main roads are clear by mid to late April.

Thank you NDak, that's very very helpful. Might save me money as I might not need to put my dog in day care as much when I go out.

I'll check and see if there is a KOA. I had a problem many years ago when camping near the Tetons, but I was in an isolated primitive campground with very few people.

Last edited by Lynn 123; 01-10-2018 at 02:57 PM..

Old 01-10-2018, 04:01 PM

8,489 posts, read 8,771,754 times
The Lee Metcalf Wildlife Refuge along the Bitterroot River south of Missoula will have some birds, more as spring progresses thru some point in the fall. The Rocky Mountain Front in west Teton County could have some wildlife viewing opportunities. I've seen mountain goats at Logan Pass and Two Medicine Lake in Glacier several times. Call National Park and Forest Service or drop in or check their sites. They should be able to suggest good areas and give you any troublesome bear activity news.

If you get that far east, consider going to the Pryor Mtns Wild Horse Range east of Red Lodge.

Last edited by NW Crow; 01-10-2018 at 04:12 PM..

Old 01-10-2018, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Crow View Post
The Lee Metcalf Wildlife Refuge along the Bitterroot River south of Missoula will have some birds, more as spring progresses thru some point in the fall. The Rocky Mountain Front in west Teton County could have some wildlife viewing opportunities. I've seen mountain goats at Logan Pass and Two Medicine Lake in Glacier several times. Call National Park and Forest Service or drop in or check their sites. They should be able to suggest good areas and give you any troublesome bear activity news.

If you get that far east, consider going to the Pryor Mtns Wild Horse Range east of Red Lodge.

Thank You NW Crow!! Great info. Last time I was in Glacier I could not find what I thought might be a safe campsite, and the hotels were outrageous and full anyway. But- if I stay near Missoula I could probably day trip it.

Any idea how the animals react to a dog in the car in any of those places? I find some areas near me the animals could care less. In others they'll charge the car or run away.

I think I've been to Pryor. I spent 2 hours sneaking up on a band of horses only to realize at the end that they had already seen me and could care less :/ lol.

Old 01-11-2018, 10:35 AM

8,489 posts, read 8,771,754 times
Hostels might be worth a look hostel montana - Google Search

Some might allow camping or be talked into it by the right polite but persistent person. If they say no, sometimes the private rooms are still a good deal, compared to motels / b&b places. If it is still more than acceptable AND non-prime season, make them an offer and see if they say yes or give a little. I haven't done this often or specifically with hostels but a handful times I've gone into motels (pretty late) and named the price I wanted. Stayed a few times, drove on a few times. Depends if desk person has authority to make deals. (Make sale or probably leave empty?)

There is Brownies on east side of park (bottom of link page) and "North Fork Hostel" on west side (search for that term).

I think there are some in Grand Teton area too. If the not in business backyard option doesn't appear.

Good to gather input on traveling with a dog but you know your dog and your experiences. Stay within your comfort zone. Keep an eye & ear out and adjust as needed.

Sounds like your dog is pretty big. A kennel and a towel over part of it might not be practical, unless your car or truck is big enough but I wondered about that strategy for close wildlife encounters or potentials. That or maybe curtains or cardboard standups. Still need windows. Not sure if it would be better or worse if your dog can't see out and the potential animals can't see in. They can still smell and may want to know more.

Another strategy might be park further away from the spots where you want to get out for wildlife and walk up.

Another camping option might be to find over 50 dispersed RV campers and talk to them. Maybe camp near them. Maybe use the bathroom or shower? Maybe share a six pack or bottle of wine with them as thank you? Cookies or pieces of store bought pie? Have to use discretion (one bad could negate many good) and accept no, but might work sometimes, if within your comfort / adventure range. Unlike folks in houses with backyards who might have upset neighbors, this style arrangement should be pretty much be just between you and them (assuming dispersed camping is allowed there).

Last edited by NW Crow; 01-11-2018 at 11:55 AM..

Old 01-25-2018, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Crow View Post
Hostels might be worth a look hostel montana - Google Search

Sounds like your dog is pretty big. A kennel and a towel over part of it might not be practical, unless your car or truck is big enough but I wondered about that strategy for close wildlife encounters or potentials. That or maybe curtains or cardboard standups. Still need windows. Not sure if it would be better or worse if your dog can't see out and the potential animals can't see in. They can still smell and may want to know more.

Another strategy might be park further away from the spots where you want to get out for wildlife and walk up.

Another camping option might be to find over 50 dispersed RV campers and talk to them. Maybe camp near them. Maybe use the bathroom or shower? Maybe share a six pack or bottle of wine with them as thank you? Cookies or pieces of store bought pie? Have to use discretion (one bad could negate many good) and accept no, but might work sometimes, if within your comfort / adventure range. Unlike folks in houses with backyards who might have upset neighbors, this style arrangement should be pretty much be just between you and them (assuming dispersed camping is allowed there).
Thanks NW Crow, all good ideas.

I'll just have to try areas and if wildlife is bothered by him then it's daycare for him that day. He's very quiet around very large herbivores. And bears if they are far enough away. Not sure about coyotes though... My car smells enormously like dog so maybe it doesn't make much difference. It's easier to get close to animals and bothers them less if you're in a car than walking, even if it smells like dog.

I emailed someone at the Teton park office and he said there are very few bears that go through the campground that is northeast of Jackson on the valley floor. I forget the name but have it bookmarked. The one where a moose broke it's leg and was put down. Looks like lots of RV's go there. That might be an option as well. They have pay-for showers I think at Teton Village. Might need a camping receipt.

This is great. I feel pretty comfortable just going there and feeling it out in the moment- as far as Teton anyway. Which is what I prefer doing. I might rent a airBNB room near Missoula for a few days though, as I've heard (and it feels like) the bears are more serious there. But- who knows, maybe not so serious near the reservation.

Last edited by Lynn 123; 01-25-2018 at 10:08 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana > Missoula