Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana > Missoula
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-09-2018, 11:36 PM

3 posts, read 3,538 times

Advertisements

Hello out there. I have been considering Montana for retirement. What I'm finding, is that each city I set my eye on seems to not be the right one. I started with Great Falls because I could transfer there with my job. But from reading blogs, I learned that it's has very inclement weather; the roads aren't maintained well, and the people don't take too kindly to outsiders. And there are far too many bars and slot machines sprinkled all over the town, relative to the small population. So I switched my plan to Billings. Found out a lot about Billings. Seems o.k. . . .just stay away from housing downtown (but that's any city). I was all set to go there, but then a co-worker said, "You should go to Missoula! My dad lives there and he loves it; and I love visiting there." (dad is in his mid-70's). "You won't like the weather there (Billings). Lot's of wind; lot's more snow, than Missoula."
Then, a couple weeks ago, I saw a nice customized van in a Walmart parking lot; it had a Montana license plate. I was writing a note to the owners of this van, to see if they would offer any tips on Montana living, when they showed up. I struck up a conversation with them and they too said, "Don't 'do' Billings; do Missoula; you'll like it a lot better." This couple seemed to be my age - mid 50's and they have been living in Missoula for 10 yrs; they moved there from Napa Valley, California. They told me about rural government loans for houses in the outskirts of town (Missoula). That peaked my interest, as I would like to finally be able to own my own domicile one day soon
I will need to work, even though I'll be retired, when I get to Montana - planning on 1 year from now. So that brings up the next item to find answers for: employment. A builder in Missoula told be that there is no real economy in Montana. She stated that all money in Montana is from people who bring it with them. So how do I work myself into the soft economy there? I'm not a professional. I'm one of those sometimes scorned blue collar workers; i work for a living; no inheritance given to me.
I'm just a simple kind of woman ; wanting to lay a good foundation for retirement in a great state! I appreciate all comments, suggestions, and recommendations . . .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2018, 11:53 PM

8,377 posts, read 8,589,909 times
What town? That depends on what is most important to you & budget. Health care, the arts, mountains within 15 minutes, sunshine, snow, politics, etc. Each place has a different mix.

Montana's economy isn't as diverse or prosperous as most states but most of it is based on domestic production. People sometimes overstate the importance of outsiders coming in to second home or retire. That makes only a modest economic impact compared to health care, education, finance and everything else that is real. Not every place has manufacturing or tech industry or much of it. If that is what a person means by a real economy and wants, stick with the big states.

Old 04-11-2018, 06:47 AM

10,226 posts, read 13,730,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montana Dreamin' View Post
Hello out there. I have been considering Montana for retirement. What I'm finding, is that each city I set my eye on seems to not be the right one. I started with Great Falls because I could transfer there with my job. But from reading blogs, I learned that it's has very inclement weather; the roads aren't maintained well, and the people don't take too kindly to outsiders. And there are far too many bars and slot machines sprinkled all over the town, relative to the small population. So I switched my plan to Billings. Found out a lot about Billings. Seems o.k. . . .just stay away from housing downtown (but that's any city). I was all set to go there, but then a co-worker said, "You should go to Missoula! My dad lives there and he loves it; and I love visiting there." (dad is in his mid-70's). "You won't like the weather there (Billings). Lot's of wind; lot's more snow, than Missoula."
Then, a couple weeks ago, I saw a nice customized van in a Walmart parking lot; it had a Montana license plate. I was writing a note to the owners of this van, to see if they would offer any tips on Montana living, when they showed up. I struck up a conversation with them and they too said, "Don't 'do' Billings; do Missoula; you'll like it a lot better." This couple seemed to be my age - mid 50's and they have been living in Missoula for 10 yrs; they moved there from Napa Valley, California. They told me about rural government loans for houses in the outskirts of town (Missoula). That peaked my interest, as I would like to finally be able to own my own domicile one day soon
I will need to work, even though I'll be retired, when I get to Montana - planning on 1 year from now. So that brings up the next item to find answers for: employment. A builder in Missoula told be that there is no real economy in Montana. She stated that all money in Montana is from people who bring it with them. So how do I work myself into the soft economy there? I'm not a professional. I'm one of those sometimes scorned blue collar workers; i work for a living; no inheritance given to me.
I'm just a simple kind of woman ; wanting to lay a good foundation for retirement in a great state! I appreciate all comments, suggestions, and recommendations . . .
For being a college town Missoula is surprisingly not welcoming of outsiders. It also has more snow than Billings and a much higher cost of living. Billings is much more mild and less expensive. It's true, Montana doesn't have much economy. I might also add politics is something to consider. Montana ranges from libertarian to still living in the 1800s conservative. In Missoula there is an ultra liberal population thrown in and they mix like oil and water. Billings doesn't have the ultra liberal mix.

Old 04-15-2018, 01:46 PM

8,377 posts, read 8,589,909 times
By historic averages, Billings gets more snow than Missoula in town. Missoula tends to hold onto it longer due to less warmup and certainly gets more in the hills.

I personally don't give friendliness evaluations much stock as there are often reports on both sides. Some places do tilt one way or the other but who you are and how you behave & evaluate may be different from somebody else and affect appearances / results. Outside of smaller towns, many folks may be cool because they don't "need" you, because there are plenty of others they may have already meet and are satisfied with. I assume the burden is on me and odds of success depend on effort and may not be better than 50/50 and often will be less.

Old 04-26-2018, 08:51 AM

5,556 posts, read 4,897,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montana Dreamin' View Post

Have you considered Wyoming?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana > Missoula