U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana > Missoula
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-05-2019, 08:59 PM
 
3 posts, read 4,178 times
Reputation: 15

Advertisements

Hello everyone! I am new to posting on forums, so bear with me... Currently, I am in nursing school and will be graduating in a year. I am from Mississippi, specifically, South MS (close to the Gulf of Mexico) and I am in need of a change of scenery when I graduate (I have lived in MS MY ENTIRE LIFE.. UGH) Although I've never been to Montana, one of my old friends is from there. He says that it is amazing and he wishes his parents wouldn't have moved to MS. So, my question is this: Does Montana get a lot of winter action? I want to experience an amazing winter (lots of snowfall). I would like to actually see the grass-covered and enjoy winter activities like skiing. Also, are nursing jobs widely available in Montana? I'm sure nurses in Montana make more than Mississippi, considering we are an impoverished state. How is the housing market? Is rent expensive? I watch plenty of YouTube videos as well, so if you have any suggestions on videos, let me know. Also, I love really cool snow videos... so send the links my way!! Thanks in advance for any advice and encouragement, it is much appreciated!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-06-2019, 12:40 AM
 
Location: North Dakota
8,677 posts, read 10,601,249 times
Reputation: 13445
Montana definitely gets winters, some areas are more mild than others but certainly more than Mississippi. Skiing is available in the mountainous areas. There are several resorts. I've only skied in Bridger Bowl and that was almost 20 years ago so no idea what it's like now. As far as jobs available I'm not sure, you'll have to look. Not sure how salaries compare but be aware that salaries in Montana are often lower than the national average. I'm not sure how it compares to Mississippi. Housing whether you're buying or renting is horrendous in much of the state, especially the pretty areas, but I imagine nurses do fine. Just keep in mind that cost of living is high in general in much of the pretty areas.

If you can, visit in the winter and do some non-touristy things. Act like a local. Go to the bar or other places locals might go. See if you like it. If you can handle a Mississippi summer with bugs and humidity you'll be fine in a dry Montana summer with fewer bugs. Do you have any specific towns or cities in mind?

This likely won't be a shock for you coming from Mississippi but it is worth mentioning that with the exception of the city of Missoula and to some extent Bozeman, Montana is a very red state.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-06-2019, 04:48 PM
 
3 posts, read 4,178 times
Reputation: 15
Mississippi's salaries are lower than the national average, so that wouldn't be much of a change. The cost of living in Mississippi is relatively low too. However, it can become expensive in areas like Ocean Springs, Biloxi, and Gulfport. I have no doubt that the more scenic areas in Montana are indeed pricey, which is to be expected. As far as a specific town location goes, I would like to stay relatively close to Bozeman (within 30 miles). I've read many things about Belgrade, Four Corners, and Manhattan providing a good environment for raising a family and working-class folks, although I'll be renting when first relocating there. Another thing, I have been to Wisconsin during winter several times (many friends I know live there)... are the winters in Montana comparable? Concerning politics, I am not very political. Also, is it easy to make friends? Are the people in Montana generally friendly?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-06-2019, 09:02 PM
 
Location: North Dakota
8,677 posts, read 10,601,249 times
Reputation: 13445
Quote:
Originally Posted by landongoff View Post
Mississippi's salaries are lower than the national average, so that wouldn't be much of a change. The cost of living in Mississippi is relatively low too. However, it can become expensive in areas like Ocean Springs, Biloxi, and Gulfport. I have no doubt that the more scenic areas in Montana are indeed pricey, which is to be expected. As far as a specific town location goes, I would like to stay relatively close to Bozeman (within 30 miles). I've read many things about Belgrade, Four Corners, and Manhattan providing a good environment for raising a family and working-class folks, although I'll be renting when first relocating there. Another thing, I have been to Wisconsin during winter several times (many friends I know live there)... are the winters in Montana comparable? Concerning politics, I am not very political. Also, is it easy to make friends? Are the people in Montana generally friendly?
Winters are drier so not as cold as Wisconsin. Politics are odd in Montana in that there are a lot of people who discuss politics ad nauseum and whining about liberals is popular. If you don't say anything they will usually stop but it does get very annoying. I'm not very political either and don't bring it up but it does get brought up by a lot of people. Making friends takes time (sometimes years) anywhere. There is often a lot of mistrust of outsiders but it doesn't always last. Plus in some areas there are a lot of transplants.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-06-2019, 09:06 PM
 
5,907 posts, read 5,573,244 times
Reputation: 3814
Less snow on average out in the flats west of Bozeman than in Bozeman itself or up in the mountains. Moderate amounts (40-60 inches per year?) compared to pretty heavy to heavy (85-100 or higher) in Bozeman and usually way more in the mountains.

4wd or awd is helpful. At minimum probably want to have good snowtires put on in winter.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-07-2019, 07:20 AM
 
5,402 posts, read 5,096,200 times
Reputation: 11921
www.visitmt.com. Order up a free visitor packet -- it includes an informative MT highway map. We deal with distance in "hours" in MT ...in general 60 miles equals an hour (in reality 80mph on interstate, 70mph most highways). You can draw circles on map around job offers & see how far it is to a ski hill. A lot of ski hills have a shuttle bus to the nearest town.

Come visit & have a look around.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-07-2019, 07:11 PM
 
1,178 posts, read 1,987,318 times
Reputation: 1313
People are generally pretty friendly in Montana, if you're in one of the larger cities. Lots of people who will be sharing your scenario... lots of out of staters in Bozeman, Missoula, and Flathead Valley.

If you have your nursing cred, you should do okay. Billings and Missoula have larger hospitals and also VA clinics. Helena has a VA hospital. You may also look at North Idaho, which doesn't get as cold as Montana but more snowfall. Montana can get well under zero degrees, North Idaho gets down into the single digits but not in the minuses very often. And you also have Spokane, WA nearby which has more medical jobs and a larger VA hospital. Idaho has friendlier taxes also.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-08-2019, 06:12 PM
 
3 posts, read 4,178 times
Reputation: 15
I will have my nursing compact license, so I am able to work in many different states (Montana is one). I would prefer to stay away from Washington and Idaho. I like the location of Montana.. and being surrounded by mountains in Western Montana sounds nice. Furthermore, I will be pursuing my education further to become a Nurse Practioner, while being an RN. I am very excited and hope to enjoy life before having my own family. My girlfriend and I will definitely be visiting soon, during the winter! Flights are pretty expensive as I have checked, but I am not worried if it is a location worth going to!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-08-2019, 06:38 PM
 
1,178 posts, read 1,987,318 times
Reputation: 1313
Quote:
Originally Posted by landongoff View Post
I will have my nursing compact license, so I am able to work in many different states (Montana is one). I would prefer to stay away from Washington and Idaho. I like the location of Montana.. and being surrounded by mountains in Western Montana sounds nice. Furthermore, I will be pursuing my education further to become a Nurse Practioner, while being an RN. I am very excited and hope to enjoy life before having my own family. My girlfriend and I will definitely be visiting soon, during the winter! Flights are pretty expensive as I have checked, but I am not worried if it is a location worth going to!
If Idaho is a possibility, and you're already in Western MT, you really should check out Coeur d'Alene. Also, you may check prices on flights into Spokane as you can drive to Missoula from there in just over three hours. American has direct flights as far east as Dallas-Ft Worth, and it's usually a nice new 737 with legroom and free movies.... not a little prop job or regional jet like you get flying to Missoula ;-)
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-09-2019, 05:57 AM
 
Location: CT - soon to be AZ
527 posts, read 417,183 times
Reputation: 1235
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous Dave View Post
If Idaho is a possibility, and you're already in Western MT, you really should check out Coeur d'Alene. Also, you may check prices on flights into Spokane as you can drive to Missoula from there in just over three hours. American has direct flights as far east as Dallas-Ft Worth, and it's usually a nice new 737 with legroom and free movies.... not a little prop job or regional jet like you get flying to Missoula ;-)
My husband and I are flying into Spokane and driving to Missoula in a couple of weeks. It’s definitely cheaper than flying into Missoula, especially since we’re using Southwest points (and they don’t fly into Missoula).
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana > Missoula

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top