Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana > Missoula
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-25-2010, 01:25 PM

30 posts, read 70,527 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone! I'm looking for some camping recommendations outside of Missoula.

My mom and I are taking a quick road trip out there this weekend (from Portland) and we are trying to figure out where to camp. We would prefer for it to be relatively nearby - I think as far as 45 minutes perhaps since we want to spend a little time in town too. Since its going to be such a quick trip, we just want to be somewhere beautiful where we can relax and explore/enjoy the area. Outside of being in Missoula and our campsite, I think we're going to try and hit the Bison Range.

I did a search on here but couldn't find what i was looking for. I appreciate any information and/or recommendations you may have for us!

Thank you!

Rhiannon
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2010, 02:45 PM

6,023 posts, read 14,067,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by [LEFT
lovelymissjackson[/left];14773012] I think we're going to try and hit the Bison Range.
The bison range is on CSKT lands and is worth the visit. You can also camp in a few nice places on the rez but a rec permit is required for most of the tribal primitive camping spots except for a few campgrounds that you just pay by the day at the campground.
Here is a link (below the pic.) to the Flathead website but it does not contain very much recreational activity info. It does have phone numbers to ask about camping and whatever on this reservation. Below is a photo I took on the rez.and the link to their website is below the picture. These relics are going away fast. A short time after I took this picture of "The Nez Perce Cabin" The wind took the entire top portion off and will never look like this again.
To see this in person one needs a high clearance 4x4 rig, a tribal forest road map, (almost impossible to get now) or a boat to go from the Buffalo Bridge to the Sloan Bridge and unless you know where it is you may blow right on past !
Get Lolo as well as Bitterroot N.F. maps. They are not that expensive and well worth the money by not letting you getting lost.

http://lh3.ggpht.com/_9a8nDInPVGE/TCe1d4GAeHI/AAAAAAAABkU/vhI4TBGqhJQ/s512/old%20pics%20056.jpg (broken link)

CSKT

I would recommend camping either at the Fish Creek campground off of I-90 just west of Alberton on Lolo N.F. road # 343. There you will find a nice trout stream as well as the largest pine tree in Montana.
Another Idea is to go up the Blackfoot River by following hwy I-90 east out of Missoula and get on hwy 200 at Bonner and follow the river not 200 from Johnsrud Park and there are camping opportunities up there as well as being a great WW rafting, kayaking, tubing and fishing area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana > Missoula